• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first post & first build

TechOps

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
San Francisco, PRK
Hi All, I just joined and wanted to introduce myself.I'm going to make this post mostly about my rifle-to-be.

But first, a few words about me. I work in Technical Operations for an Internet startup, live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and volunteer my time as a sworn Reserve Police Officer. I mainly shoot handguns, have an M1 Garand, M1903 and a few ARs in the safe, but now interested in getting into long-range and precision shooting for which I'm a newbie.

I'd like to base my first rifle on the .308 caliber and Remington 700 platform, which gives me a number of choices. At this point, I'm planning on:

- 700 SPS-V, or 700P. I like the finish and extra factory testing on the 700P, but since i'm going to replace the stock, I'll most likely stick with the SPS-V.
- J Allen Enterprises JAE-700-RSA stock
- Bolt knob from AZ precision, either marksman or scout
- The important part, optics, is still an open question for me. I'm reading posts here, looking around, and will probably go with something good in the 5-25x50 range, can be either new or used.
- A 200 yard range and some decent .308!

Thanks, just wanted to check in and introduce myself.

Re: My first post & first build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TechOps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

SNIP...

I'd like to base my first rifle on the .308 caliber and Remington 700 platform, which gives me a number of choices. At this point, I'm planning on:

SNIP

- J Allen Enterprises JAE-700-RSA stock

SNIP

Thanks, just wanted to check in and introduce myself. </div></div>

First off, welcome aboard. Tons of great information and some highly knowledgeable individuals here that are usually glad to assist a fellow shooter who is here to learn and contribute.

Second off...the JAE chassis for the Remington 700 is VAPORWARE!! These stocks have been promised for a LOOOOONG time now with money being exchanged with the folks at JAE and no stocks anywhere on the horizon. Not to say that they won't show up eventually (I'm sure they will), but I'd advise you to look elsewhere for a suitable stock that is to your liking and meets your needs. Have a look around here on the Hide for more information about these units (and some options for a good substitute such as the AICS, McMillan stocks, Manners stocks, etc.). This is a good time to intro you to the "good" search engine (not the one on the toolbar above that is a part of the forum software). Check out the link in my sig line for the better way to search the Hide.

Again, welcome and good luck with your rifle build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TechOps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd like to base my first rifle on the .308 caliber and Remington 700 platform, which gives me a number of choices. </div></div>

That's quite a handicap you're giving yourself to start with.
smirk.gif

www.savagearms.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TechOps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd like to base my first rifle on the .308 caliber and Remington 700 platform, which gives me a number of choices. </div></div>

That's quite a handicap you're giving yourself to start with.
smirk.gif

www.savagearms.com </div></div>

I would disagree with Tucker...I think the Remington is a good choice...but Id go with a 5R, and definately change out the trigger. Regardless of ones opinion, there is enough evidence regarding untentional discharge to take it seriously...better safe than dead.

Welcome to the Hide. Look out for the guy carrying the gorilla......the owner of 'THE BAN HAMMER"

308 is a great platform for any shooter, especially at 200 yards. It has worked well for decades and is capable of making as small of a group as any caliber at closer range. Plenty of good factory ammo and such (Try Hornady 155 sst), get a good harris bipod, and get a good piece of glass, maybe a leupold mark IV if your on a budget. You can always run the factory stock and upgrade later. Don't skimp on the optics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would disagree with Tucker...I think the Remington is a good choice...but Id go with a 5R, and definately change out the trigger. Regardless of ones opinion, there is enough evidence regarding untentional discharge to take it seriously...better safe than dead.

Welcome to the Hide. Look out for the guy carrying the gorilla......the owner of 'THE BAN HAMMER" </div></div>

Hi,

Can you say a couple more words about why you would go for the 5R? Here are the pro's and cons as I see them:

Pro:
Stainless
5R grooves easier to clean
5R grooves- more accurate? (Jury seems out, wish I had some personal experience here but I don't)
24" barrel, weight savings and easier to handle
1:11" twist makes 175 gr bullets slightly more stabilized
better stock (not relevant for me)

Con:
24" barrel, less muzzle velocity (maybe doesn't matter for 308)
Costs almost twice as much
Stainless - if I want a dark barrel I have to finish / paint it

Can you tell me if I'm missing anything, or what the draw of the 5R is? I actually like the concept of a 24" barrel and certainly an 1:11 twist, but given that I'm ditching the stock, is there really $450 worth of difference from the SPS-V?

Thanks for your input.. I will definitely look into a trigger upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TechOps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Welcome to the Hide. Look out for the guy carrying the gorilla......the owner of 'THE BAN HAMMER" </div></div>

Hi,

Can you say a couple more words about why you would go for the 5R? Here are the pro's and cons as I see them:

Pro:
Stainless
5R grooves easier to clean
5R grooves- more accurate? (Jury seems out, wish I had some personal experience here but I don't)
24" barrel, weight savings and easier to handle
1:11" twist makes 175 gr bullets slightly more stabilized
better stock (not relevant for me)

Con:
Costs almost twice as much
Stainless - if I want a dark barrel I have to finish / paint it

Can you tell me if I'm missing anything, or what the draw of the 5R is? I actually like the concept of a 24" barrel and certainly an 1:11 twist, but given that I'm ditching the stock, is there really $450 worth of difference from the SPS-V?

Thanks for your input.. I will definitely look into a trigger upgrade. </div></div>

I dont have a LOT of experience, but when I was first getting into this I considered "doing a build", and found that a custom rifle can run $3-4000 and up. then i read about the 5R and that it will shoot .3 moa out of the box, and figured thats better than I can shoot so why bother spending 3K when for 1K i can get a rifle that is better than i am. If yor a TOP competitor, mabey, but for most of us enjoyment shooters .3 is plenty....and the rifle can do better than that with the right shooter. Alsoin my experience, skill is far more important than barrell length.
Unless your are going to use the rifle professionally, and by that I mean in the military where your life depends on your cover and concealment, who cares if the barrel is sttainless or dark...if yu want it dark, a can of Krylon is a couple of bucks. And the trigger on the new 5r's is competition grade out of the box....so by the time you replace that and all the other components your not saveing any money to speak of. Personally, my advice is buy a stock Remington 5R for 1K, learn to shoot it and then see if you really want to spend all that money to upgrade.

As Frank, aka Lowlight, says..."for fucks sake get out and shoot"....hope I didnt misquote you LL

TO,
Had the same dilemma 5r,sps,vtr,vls,p or, ltr.All are good to start with and will let you shoot as soon as you get it and everyone will have there own opinion on which is better. I went with a 5r and have not second gessed my decision since. I shoot with guys that have Stellars, AI, and all the other high end actions. The 5r can do the same as any of those. I know its a $1000 bucks but a custom action alone is almost a $1000 bucks thats no barrel,no stock, and no trigger. I wish Rem still made them so the price would not go up 20 bucks every 6 months and I wish I also would have got'en one in 223.
You will not be sorry for starting with a 5r
DD

OK folks, you have convinced me, plus I want to push the 308 out to longer distances which means I need to be capable of stabilizing heavier bullets with a fast twist. And I hate cleaning my barrel so the shallow grooves will be nice.
cool.gif

I upgraded my order from SPS-V and now sending in another $465 check. Dangit, I can tell that this forum is going to cost me a lot of $$.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TechOps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dangit, I can tell that this forum is going to cost me a lot of $$.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Oh...you have not yet BEGUN to cry (or hemorrhage from the wallet yet)!!
grin.gif

But...with that said...it is better to get all the crying and wallet suffering out of the way upfront so you don't have to keep replacing sub-par gear down the road. You'll have a good rifle setup that should last you a while ('til you get bored or you want to go with a "from-the-ground-up" custom).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TechOps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I upgraded my order from SPS-V and now sending in another $465 check. Dangit, I can tell that this forum is going to cost me a lot of $$.
wink.gif
</div></div>

The additional investment is well worth it. The 5R will have a better resale value when you get ready for first custom build. Then you can say this forum is going to cost you a lot of money. Either walk now or hang on, the money coaster is leaving the station.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TechOps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I upgraded my order from SPS-V and now sending in another $465 check. Dangit, I can tell that this forum is going to cost me a lot of $$.
wink.gif
</div></div>

The additional investment is well worth it. The 5R will have a better resale value when you get ready for first custom build. Then you can say this forum is going to cost you a lot of money. Either walk now or hang on, the money coaster is leaving the station. </div></div>

Agreed

Good decision on your first build. I own the varmint sps 308. guess u can see that lol. I have had my barrel floated, trigger tuned. breaks at almost 3 pounds and action bedded. MY best group was .0450. Lapua brass full length resized 2.005 168smk fed 215 pushed by 41.8 gr of imr 4064. Set at standard 2.800 oal. Havent tinkered with headspacing yet.average 2636 fps and no pressure problems. Good Luck to you

"Con:
Costs almost twice as much"

24 inches is plenty. Just ask my wife (ok I'm a liar)

seriously though, You could go a lot shorter and still be plenty ok.

The 5R's are nice and as mention above better resale value but the SPS-V is a good choice also if your going to be upgrading in the future.