• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first precision rifle

cookie91/38

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
murrieta, California
Hey guys,

Just wanted to show you all my first precision rifle. Ive put about 500 rounds through it so far, and love how it shoots.Ive gotten to push it out to 1000 yards, and it performed very well, especially since it was the first time Ive shot at 1000 yards. Its a Remington SPS Tactical with a HS precision stock, Triad Tactical stock pack, Burris XTR low rings, Larue 20 MOA base, SWFA 10X42, and a 6-9 Harris bipod. My least favorite part of this rifle is by far the trigger. Eventually Ill upgrade to a Timney most likely. Im also replacing the scope with a primary arms 4-14x44, and thinking about kryloning the rifle in a desert camo pattern. What do you guys think? Any other upgrades I should look into or consider? Im hoping the PA scope holds up well. The reviews I have read seem pretty good and positive. Thanks in advance, Evan

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
I'd stick with what you have over the primary arms scope. Rifle looks great!

To be honest I'm not terribly familiar with them, but for 159.99 they can't be anything jaw dropping, so you're better off to stick with your swfa, which has proven itself to be a solid choice for a budget optic. Save your pennies and pick up some really good glass down the road. I have two bolt guns now, and run a falcon menace 6-24 x 50mm FFP on one, this is an okay optic for it's price range. Glass is decent, it tracks well, and hasn't let me down. I'm only using it on a .223 though, so it doesn't take much of a beating. On my .308 I run a vortex PST 6-24x50mm FFP, and I really really like it. I'm not sure what they cost in the US, but here in Canada they run around a grand. The glass is excellent, it's very well made. My only criticism of it is that at full magnification the reticle is a bit on the thick side. They have some cheaper models as well, and vortex has an excellent warranty. The HS-T 4-16 x44 is around 650 in the states, and offers pretty good value I think. Check out some used ones too, with their warranty it doesn't matter who bought it, if it breaks, they'll replace it.

Is the primary arms not a good choice?

Definitely go with the Timney. I put one in a my Remington 700 SPS rifle I put together last year and have switched nearly all rifles I have to Timney. I bought a 510 for my 700, the stock I have required a little filing to get the trigger shoe to fit down into the stock but nothing too serious. If you go that route I would suggest using some purple Locktite on the threads for the jam nut for the pull weight, mine came loose. Not sure if I didn't tighten it enough or if they are just that way. Anyways I have a digital trigger pull gauge and my factory Remy trigger varied a few ounces every pull, low and high over 5 pulls. The Timney varied an ounce, once over 5 pulls.

Rifle looks cool!

Last edited: