• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My first scope

Really New Guy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2013
Hello,

I guess I'm the latest new guy here :)

I have 35+ years experience shooting rifles of every kind but never had a optical sighting device before. Now due to advancing age my eye sight has reached a point where I need help to see my target. I have shot using iron sights out to 300 yard in past but now I have trouble seeing targets at 100 yards.

I recently picked up my first scope from a local gun shop... it was the most expensive one he had. It's a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 scope with mil dot reticle which I paid $430. It will be mounted on my Remington 700 BDL rifle which is my primary hunting rifle using Warne steel one piece base and their permanent rings. It will be used mostly to hunt deer in farm fields where most shots are at about 150 yards with few out to 300 yards.

My question is about the quality of my scope. In terms of hunting scopes, how good is the quality of this Nikon scope? Is it somewhere in the middle, or lower end or upper end? If I had spend $800 would I have gotten much better quality scope? Just how does my scope compare in quality to high end scopes?

I have no remorse about buying this scope but I want to know how it stands up against other scopes as I know I'll be buying more scopes in near future for my other rifles.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

That is a tough question to answer directly.

I know far more hunters that hunt with simple covered turret scopes, than do with tactical exposed turret scopes. I am in the same group, I practice hold overs and Kentucky windage for my hunting shots. Especially white-tail hunting in river-beds, the shot is often quick and spur of the moment, without time to adjust a tactical scope.

So if we are comparing to that demographic, I'd put that scope somewhere about in the middle. I own a similar scope on one of my AR-15s that I use for coyotes. I think the glass is clear and bright, and it holds zero well.

No if we start talking about exposed turret 'click in adjustment' tactical scopes and putting them in the mix, you are towards the lower end. But those are a whole different animal.

I'd say that you should have no worries using that scope for your intended purposes at the range you suggest, or even further if you want/need to.

For simple deer hunting at 100 - 300 yards you are fine. Most of the higher priced scopes are obviously clearer, have more features and do all sorts of stuff. However, if your Monarch tracks properly, holds zero and is clear enough or you for your intended application, why spend hundreds if not thousands more to achieve the same goal?

Look at higher end optics when/if there is a need to.

For what its worth, this is coming from a guy with $15kish in optics.

for your purposes that scope will work great. Nikons have some amazingly clear glass. rock out with yer cock out and keep on keepin on, you dun gud son

I have a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 on a very similar deer 308. First and foremost, a scope needs to hold zero and track properly. If you dial 3in of elevation, you should be able to dial back down 3in and be back at zero. Nikon scopes generally have good glass for the price point. All the extra little features that increase the price of a scope are secondary to the ability to see your target and hold the zero. You'll find this scope will serve you well.

Sounds like a good combo. For 300Y you can dial for MPBR maybe more like 250 with a 30 cal and not have to touch the turrets. The Monarch is a nice scope.

You did well. I have 3-4 Nikon Buckmasters, in 4-16, and a couple monarchs, in 8-32. I like them all, for their intended purpose. Good scopes. Not intended for "Tactical use". just range work. You'll like it. You didn't go "cheap". Good for you.

Nikon makes a good product i have some lower end 3-9 prostaffs that work phenomenal and my buddy has a 4-16 monarch on his .375 H&H. that should be a testament to the quality of nikon right there, considering how mild the recoil is on a .375 :D