• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors My first time filling out a form 4

7magsavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
So I'm getting my form 4 stuff together. This is my first time doing it. I was hoping there would be a sticky on this forum including some sort of checklist of items needed, but there's not one. I'm sure this has probably already been covered in the past but I didn't see what I was looking for.
Question is, is there anything that isn't quite obvious that I need to do before sending my form 4 in? I mean, I know I have to fill the form out completely with my fingerprint card, sheriffs signature, and passport photo. That's the obvious stuff. Is there anything else I need to send in? Any extra forms? Only one copy? I read on another forum that the the form 4 had to be on one sheet of paper printed front and back and not two pages. Is this true? Just wanted to run it by some of you guys who have done these before. I don't want to wait the ridiculously long time to get the paperwork back just for them to say that I neglected to add something that is a bit obscure.

Thanks in advance guys.

Steve

Your dealer should fill out the Form 4, you should just have to supply the fingerprints and photos and then take it to the sheriff for signature if you are going that route. If trusts are legal where you are I would go a trust even if the sheriff will sign. Right now a paper Form 4 sent in is taking 12 months to process. If you do a trust and your dealer will do the efile system those are taking 4 months to process.

By the way your dealer should give you 2 copies. Also you need a certificate of compliance form 5330.20, if you go the sheriff route. Again your dealer should provide all of this.

Last edited:
I am thinking that may be what I do. Problem is, my suppressor is scheduled to arrive at that dealer tomorrow, so I guess I will have to pay the transfer fee for them to send it to another dealer.
I would be interested in doing a trust, but I was under the impression that I had to have a lawyer to write up the trust to make sure it's 100% legal.

The more I read about trusts on the net the more confused I get. Some things in have read make trusts sound like the absolute hands down way to go and other things I have read make the trusts sound like they are sketchy unless a gun trust lawyer writes one up.

What a PIA!

I am thinking that may be what I do. Problem is, my suppressor is scheduled to arrive at that dealer tomorrow, so I guess I will have to pay the transfer fee for them to send it to another dealer.
I would be interested in doing a trust, but I was under the impression that I had to have a lawyer to write up the trust to make sure it's 100% legal.

The more I read about trusts on the net the more confused I get. Some things in have read make trusts sound like the absolute hands down way to go and other things I have read make the trusts sound like they are sketchy unless a gun trust lawyer writes one up.

What a PIA!

It can be confusing. Look at guntrustlawyer.com he has a good blog and sells a base trust for a reasonable fee.

Sent from a government drone circling over your location.

It can be confusing. Look at guntrustlawyer.com he has a good blog and sells a base trust for a reasonable fee.

That's another thing I read. I read somewhere that getting an online trust form was inadequate in most cases and that a gun trust attorney would be the most legally responsible way to go. I have no damn idea as to why it would matter, it's just something I read out there in the sea of obscurity and confusion.

That's another thing I read. I read somewhere that getting an online trust form was inadequate in most cases and that a gun trust attorney would be the most legally responsible way to go. I have no damn idea as to why it would matter, it's just something I read out there in the sea of obscurity and confusion.

Guntrustlawyer is a lawyer and I think he has worked with lawyers in many states to do them right. I know when I got his mid level trust a local attorney worked with me that is in his network.

I just got my trust back last week. I went with Prince law. I know they have a network of lawyers in PA. Before I spent a dime the lawyer l would work with spent almost a hour on the phone asking questions and answering some unique to my situation. I mailed in the filled out information sheet along with the check. a few days later I had the trust in my hands ready to be notarized.

I know I spent a few hundred more than some of the online ones that have been mentioned on this site, but I got to talk to a real lawyer for a hour. The best part is I also have his card with a 24hour emergency contact number which makes it worth every penny.