• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Girlfriend just out shot me with my own gun!!

Tengo1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You heard that right. I just got whooped by my 19 year old girlfriend with my very own rifle. A rifle, I might add, that she has never shot before.

I bought a FN SPR A3G back about 10 months ago that I first introduced to the hide back in Feb. right here. I have put 540 rounds thru it since I got it. All HSM or BVAC 168 grain Amax or 168 SMK. This is as my previous post mentions my first precision rifle, but I do have about 20 range sessions with it under my belt. Its been a great gun, but do partly to myself, and possibly the HSM/BVAC ammo, the 1/2" MOA standard of the A3G has eluded me. No real shocker, I am new to precision shooting, for me to expect 1/2" groups every time would be extremely naive of me, but I have appeared stuck between 3/4" and 1.25" in my 100 yard, 5 shot group sizes. So I decided to order several boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain SMK's. This is the standard ammo FN uses to test their rifles, and my A3G came with two nice little test targets that are both sub 3/8" shot with this ammo.

Late last week, the weather was good, the sun was out and there was little more than a slight breeze. I decided it would be a perfect day to try out the Federal Match ammo. I proceeded to load all my gear in my Jeep and my girlfriend drove up. I informed her I was headed out to go shooting and she asked to come along. "Sure" I said, "hop in".

She's not a prissy city girl by any means, she's from small town Utah. But she's not a real country girl either. Her dad owns guns, but she wasn't exactly raised shooting. She had shot a gun only a couple of times before she met me. Almost exclusively .22 caliber rifles, with the exception of a pistol now and then with a high school boyfriend. We've dated about a year and in that time I have taken her out to shoot 9mm's, .45's, .233 AR's, and my 12 gauge shotgun. She HATED the shotgun, she's not a fan of anything that kicks. And up to this point had never even tried my .308.

We get out to the range, I unload all my gear and she asks "What all guns did you bring?". "Just this one" I reply, as I pulled my A3G from the case. "Isn't that a big one?" she asks, which is her way of saying "Does it kick?" I explain to her that its not to bad, about like the shotgun. To which she exclaims "Like the shotgun!! That thing kicks too hard! I don't want to shoot!" I was fine with that, that would leave the whole 20 rounds to myself. So, while she watched, I proceeded to shoot my first two 5 shot groups. They weren't 1/2", but they were noticeably smaller than I had shot previously. My problem is I always get my first 3 or 4 shots touching each other, then get nervous or jittery because I am FINALLY gonna shoot a sweet group and end up with the last shot or two flung off from the rest.

With 10 rounds left, I felt bad with her just sitting there. So I asked again if she wanted to try it. "No" she said, "its to big" as she proceeded to roll a .308 round around in her hand and look at it. "Babe, its not bad, as long as you hold it firmly you really wont even notice" I said as I tried to persuade her. She's very competitive, and hates to lose at anything. So with a grin, I say "Tell you what, I'll shoot 5 rounds, and you shoot 5 rounds. If you can shoot a better group than me I'll take you out to dinner tonight". With that she was hooked, and she agreed to give it a try. Not only would this be her first time shooting my FN A3G. It would be her first time shooting any .308 or a gun with a scope bigger than a .22.

I went first. Shooting off a bipod up front, and a bag in rear. I was low and to the left. But my rounds where at least touching.... until shot 5. Which, as per my norm, flung off about a 1/2" below the rest. My Target:
IMG_0765.jpg

Now it was her turn. She settled in behind the rifle and was obviously nervous. I gave her some tips, explained what to do, and how to adjust the rear bag to change the elevation of the reticule on the target. This is her doing just that:
1028101649.jpg

She kept complaining the cross hairs were to high. She couldn't get it to aim low enough. I tried to explain how if you pull the rear bag back it will lower the barrel of the rifle and drop the cross hairs to where they need to be. For what ever reason, it wasn't working for her. Don't ask me why, it worked for me. "Can I put the other one up front, maybe that will help?" she asked, as she pointed to my second bag I had on the table. "Sure" I said, and handed it to her. She proceeded to flip the bi-pods legs closed and dropped the closed legs of the bi-pod right down on the second bag. "Babe, I uh.. umm..." I started to say, but she gave me that look of "don't treat me like I'm retarded" and said "its perfect now" so I shut my mouth. If that's how she wanted to shoot it, ok. I then explained how if she would grip the rear bag with her left hand she could squeeze it and fine tune where she was aiming the weapon. "No" she said, "I want my hand up front" so this was how she would be firing the rifle:
1028101650a.jpg

For the first shot she aimed for what felt like 5 minutes. Every time she was about to pull the trigger she would get nervous and be like "Is it gonna hurt?" and frown at me. "No" I said, "Just pull it in tight to your shoulder, hold it steady, and when your not moving aiming at the dot in the middle, slowly pull the trigger back". BOOM!! She fired off the first round and gave me a big smile that said "That wasn't so bad" and chambered another round. After another minute or two of aiming, adjusting, aiming, adjusting again, she fired off round two. I didn't bring binoculars, so after each shot, I had no idea where she was hitting. "Can you see them?" I would ask "Are they close at all?". To which she always replied "I don't know". After the 5th shot, she sat back kinda disappointed and said "I don't think I did that well. I can only see two of the shots". "Well, lets walk out and take a look" I said. So we walked out to the hundred yard line to check her target and this is what I find:
IMG_0766.jpg

"ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW!!!" I yell, as she jumps up and down giggling in triumph. Her very first time shooting my gun, let alone a .308. She not only beat me. She shot a smaller group with her first 5 shots than I have been able to do with the previous 520! Oh, I couldn't believe it. I just stood there staring at the target shaking my head as she danced up and down singing "I win, I win, la la la, you suck, I win.." It pains me to say this, but my girlfriend is either lucky or officially a better shoot than me
crazy.gif

My target's on left, Her's on right
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0767.jpg

Re: My Girlfriend just out shot me with my own gun!!

It's often amazing how good of groups brand new shooters can fire usually because they haven't had a chance to develop any bad habits like recoil and/or trigger anticipation.

Happend once to me to, but on a competition.
It took less than a week for me to find an own gun to her after that, so it would not happend again......

Håkan

Well congradulations! That was a win-win situation no matter how it turned out. You were at the gun range with a pretty girl!

You're lucky though. Most of the girls I've dated are so scared of guns and recoil that they scare me in how they handle them. I've gotten some of the ones I've dated to shoot but wouldn't ever leave any of them unattended.

Looks like you could get this one hooked and then you have someone to share your hobby with! If we all were only so lucky.

Nice work. Hang on to her. Mine is hooked too. She claimed my 308, tried to claim my 300WM, wants a 50bmg and recently asked about a can. These damn women can be expensive!

Congratulations! Be very happy. I had a girlfriend for a while who would never go shooting with me, so I broke up with her. Yours is pretty, clearly smart, and likes to shoot! What more could you realistically ask for?

You got schooled. If you hadn't mentioned dinner, you probably would have beaten her.
wink.gif

my girlfriend has been doing that pretty regular so far. i bought her a cz .22 and mounted a nikon i had laying around on it. hunting turrets, 3x9, etc. nothing special. after a day at the range she was adjusting it on her own, consistently hitting clays at 100 and shotgun hulls at 25 and a spinner at 50yds. with little instruction from me.
i was pretty proud to watch her knock down 10 shotgun hulls with 10 shots.

btw your gfs groups look better than some of mine...

Women usually shoot better than men. I found that out as a rifle range coach in the Corps. They have more patience and they haven't learned bad habits from other shooters. So if you teach them right, they will rip it up.

Folks who expect less from the ladies usually get a big surprise, and usually deserve it. On a good day, my Wife and Daughter can outshoot me with my own firearms, and my Granddaughter is coming along nicely as well. I could say that just indicates I'm a good teacher, but that would be grossly unfair to them.

Greg

might as well pony up some money she going to need her own rig....imagine what she would have done if your rig was fitted to her.. on second thought you might want start eating crow... it takes a while to get use to the taste...btw congrats on a good time!!!!

You got hustled.

Either that or you were breathing too hard thinking about her.

My advise is marry the girl and NEVER piss her off!

Thats what I did. 25 and counting though I did get a late start as I wasnt housebroken in my 20s.

Oh mine loves to cook and bake so bonus points were awarded. If she can knot a cherry stem you are one lucky lucky dawg!

Damn! Awesome, but it may get more expensive now....my wife dosen't shoot due to little kids and babysitter issues as an excuse. (Fine with me...) I would like to see what she could do though...

Is she itchin to go again? Great job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work. Hang on to her. Mine is hooked too. She claimed my 308, tried to claim my 300WM, wants a 50bmg and recently asked about a can. These damn women can be expensive! </div></div>
That ain't nothing... I had to buy TWO cans!!!
laugh.gif

It's like they say.. those who can't do, teach. You taught her well.
grin.gif

All kidding aside you both shot good groups. Now she's going to want one of her own.

If you don't like the fact that she can shoot better, I'll trade you a slightly used, majorly nagging wife! She does not cook, will never even touch your gun and snores. She however is easy on the eyes and has a extreme case o OCD (which comes in handy if you work it right).

Just kidding. Like someone else said earlier in the marines I learned women can really shoot well when taught the right way. Keep her, enjoy the hobby together. Nothing better than having something you both enjoy that you cam do together. Mine won't even look at a gun and when I talk about it just changes the subject. I sir am jealous! That's the best compliment I can give.

Now YOU have to stay home to vaccum, clean dishes,etc...
While she goes to the range
laugh.gif

I think your purse might have been throwing you off balance when you pulled the trigger.

My girlfriend still refuses to shoot my 308.... probably a good thing because I dont handle losing very well to girls.

She did real well.

I find the change in POI interesting...same day, same gun/load and assuming same scope setting but the groups are in two different locations.

Is that because shooters look through the scope differently?

Thanks for sharing the story! Looks like alot of fun was had by all. She may have shot better than you that day but maybe you can beat her at shopping for shoes the next time.

Just kidding.

Have fun and enjoy shooting together.

-draven

Thanks for sharing. My wife outshoots me with a handgun on a regular basis and I love knowing she can protect herself.

I think it would be great to have a girlfriend who can shoot like that.. So long as the wife doesn't find out

I believe I see a another future member to the hide. Good shooting to both of you. My wife can shoot the hell out of any pistol. I just can't get her to shoot a rifle.....yet.

It's cool your gal likes to shoot. I've been with some that love it and others that hate it. Don't sweat that fact she out shot ya. Women in many cases make excellent shooters. Posted pics below of what my wife likes to shoot.....
Steve
P1140764.jpg

img323.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My target's on left, Her's on right
</div></div>

Looks like you are really in love with her...

Hey tengo1 I had the same problem with the final 5th shot being a flyer until a buddy of mine told me this "the only shot that matters is the one your about to take..treat it as if it is the most important shot you will ever make" basically just concentrate on the shot your about to take evan if the last one was a bad one just dont think about it.
O and congrats on the win with the GF!..my GF wont evan help me clean my guns!

180man, is that a full-auto Glock, or is she really tripping them that fast?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get some glasses on that girl next time</div></div>

+1

That girl's a keeper. Don't want anything bad happening to her.

I always figured 3 shot groups were because guys couldn't concentrate longer without thinking about girl parts. Now you take a girl with you? What did you expect
smile.gif

Nice groups...well some
smile.gif

Mine does the same thing sometimes!!! lol You got a good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JeffP40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 180man, is that a full-auto Glock, or is she really tripping them that fast?! </div></div>

Factory G-18 full-auto. Post sample.
Steve

my girlfriend did that to me the first time she ever shot she put 2 shots at 100 yds from my 22-250 into a group that was in the .2s in the bullseye and she said i think i hit the target. it was pretty embarrassing so i took her a buddies place told him the story and he had her shoot a deer target at 850 dialing it in for her with a 30 hart no issues with recoil for her and when we checked the target it was a sub 5 inch group. so i did what any guy would do and married her hoping my kids would get more of her shooting genes than mine.
d

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but having a wife that enjoys shooting is a wonderful thing. Mine can outshoot me with a shotgun and with open sights - she has her Marlin "Pink Lady" dialed to the point where she shoots ball point pens in half at 10 paces. Fortunately, she prefers my Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 45 over my Kimber, so I can still win that challenge since I have the tighter gun with the longer sight radius! She doesn't shoot long range much, but the grin on her face when she hit that first gallon jug at over 1,000 yards was priceless.

Last weekend the weather kept us from skiing so we went shopping. I've had my eye on a Savage Mark II BTVS for awhile, and we stumbled across a 93R17 BTVS which she really liked. She'd had her eye on a small 9mm, like a Ruger LC9. Had it been either one of us, we probably wouldn't have bought either one, but we managed to talk each other into bringing both home. Now I have to sort through ammo to see what the 17 really likes (sub moa with two out of three brands so far) and have dies for the 9mm on the way - the things I have to put up with!

As for the POI shift - good observation. Might have been due to the differing recoil track for the different shooters. Sounds like more research is needed! Take more ammo next time.

She is a keeper... Don't let her get away...

10 years ago, I had a factory Savage 110 bull barrel in .223 that would print consistent .3's and .4's for me all day long, 5 shots at 105 yards. Let my wife shoot it one time. Same deal. She fired a 5 shot group that was in the .2's. Smallest group that ever came out of the rifle. Looked like a little square hole with slightly rounded corners. I never shot a group that tight before or after.

Eventually sold the gun because of the tupperware stock. Kicked myself ever since...

Good news is I still have my wife of 32 years ! ! !

My wife outshoots me too. I'm kinda proud of it. When we are at the range she always attracts attention from the guys. We were at the range recently and the guy next to us kept moving his scope over to her target. She was hitting just over 1 moa with a Mini 14 we were testing. He came over after the range went cold to offer her a few shots on his rifle. Pretty cool I thought.

5th shot 'flyer' syndrome is a lot like pre-mature ejaculation. Try not to get so excited about what you are doing and you will have a much stronger finish.

Having said that though, how hot does your barrel get and how fast do you shoot your groups? You say your girlfriend was taking some time between shots right? Might be worth taking some extra time yourself?

Congrats on the blonde hottie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got hustled.

Either that or you were breathing too hard thinking about her. </div></div>

Thats what I'm thinking! Lol, I'm gonna have to talk to her dad and see just how much shooting she really did growing up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She did real well.

I find the change in POI interesting...same day, same gun/load and assuming same scope setting but the groups are in two different locations.

Is that because shooters look through the scope differently? </div></div>

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I'm not sure why it was like that. I had it pretty centered with the BVAC 168 grain Amax's I had been shooting. So when I shot the Federal and it dropped that low I thought maybe the ammo had a different point of impact, but since hers is right back up to where it should be, just off the the left a little, I would imagine it was probably me that was the problem. She didn't touch the turrets. And as far as I know, she was aiming dead center of the dot just like I was.