• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My gun hates lapua brass?

Re: My gun hates lapua brass?

I'll let you now how the annealing goes. I'm hitting the range one saturday, I think I'll be shooting the annealed cases then.

The annealing has made some difference. I do my .308 loading on a hand press. It used to be a WHORE to get these sized. After the annealing, it's about the same as my Winchester brass. Bullets seat smooth as butter. Even if this doesn't fix my bolt stick, I'll be annealing my Win brass.

I know it was mentioned once or twice, but I didnt see an answer. Did you check to make sure that the neck of your chamber is not too tight for the thicker lapua brass? Your bullets should fall freely into a fired case. Forgive me if you already answered this.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it was mentioned once or twice, but I didnt see an answer. Did you check to make sure that the neck of your chamber is not too tight for the thicker lapua brass? Your bullets should fall freely into a fired case. Forgive me if you already answered this.
Scott </div></div>

Yeah, he did. Loaded rounds extract just fine, so I'm left with brass that's "lost its spring". Trouble. Fixable. Hard is good for heads (ask my wife...maybe not...), but NOT for necks and shoulders.

And it is a variable process, can be done from not really enough through just right to arguably too much when the stuff gets dead-soft.

I re-use the copper oil change plug washers used on a coupla cars, just rub 'em on a flat file to get the high spots off and then go like crazy to dead-soft. That's *proper* for that application.

Propane is my friend.

Lol, get em glowing.

I maybe went a little light on em. They aren't quite as blued and silvery as lake city 5.56, but they were clearly annealed, and had that..feeling. Idk how to phrase it, but different than normal brass.