• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My J.C. Higgins range time

Cserv

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
wherever I may roam...
Took the Oldie to the range today to see what she liked. I've never done this before, just always shot what I had and figured the strays were all me. MAN what an eye opener. Started w/ my Win. X's @ 50yds. not the greatest, but grouped ok w/ some fliers and some that hit low. Was doing 10 shot groups, and got in a couple three inches, there abouts. Next loaded some Fed. Champion hv 40gr solids. seemed to like these, as all 10 rounds filled about half of the bulls-eye at 50yds, w/ a few touching holes. Was pretty happy w/ this grouping, considering the age of the rifle and had a 7-10mph wind from my 8. That and I'm shooting w/ a Crossman airgun scope 3-9x40. I know!
blush.gif
Next I threw the bulk Remmies, they were the worst of the bunch, 10rds in about 4-5 inches few coming close to my POA, high and all over the place. Lastly loaded up some CCI Mini-Mags, 36gr HP's. These too performed pretty well, not as tight as the Fed.'s but close. I owned the bulls-eye w/ these, w/ one outside.
Took the target to 100yds, just to see. Wow the wind, and the inconsistencies in the rounds really show up. W/out being able to dial dope and not having a good reticle, it took me a couple shots to see my impacts. Then I just held over. Put all round in an 8 inch target, w/ a few CCI's in the bulls-eye and a few more close(9&8 rings).
Overall a pretty educational and good day of shooting w/ the old Higgins. Not to shabby for a 50ish year old .22 w/ a crappy scope, and a learning shooter. I was impressed because I'm at the range where guys are running their AR's @ 50yds and rarely hitting bulls-eyes(the spot I got at the range was vacated by a couple guy's who left a good bulls-eye for me to shoot until the range went cold). Goes to show lots of guns can out shoot their shooters.
Love my old .22's, wish I still had my first Steven's. It was sim to the Higgins, single shot and you pull the plunger to cock. Thanks for readin' and any comments to help improve my shooting are welcome.
Eric

Re: My J.C. Higgins range time

Went to the range yesterday, and ran 100 rds of Fed copper plated 36gr bulk through. Put 20 at 50yds, nice groups to verify zero from last week( a crappy scope needs checked). Took it out to 100yds, shot some hold offs, for elev. and wind. It was blowin' 1/2-3/4@5-10 in my face R-L. Since my hold offs were about 6" I went ahead and dialed the cheapy up 24 clicks(1/4"@100). Put me pretty close. Shot a 10rd after dialing, kept it in 2" of elev. and 41/2" in the wind. An improvement over last weeks 6". I think I need to get scales and try weighing rounds for a little more consistency on the cheap. Just sayin. Thanks for the read, and any tips. I know, I need a new trainer.

I'd say it's time to see what the subsonic's will do at 100 yards - might even surprise you more what they can do at 50 yards.

I to got out to the Range today in the rain, but I was under cover where the shooting benches set. Anyway, using my Savage MKII FVT w/ 6-24 Tasco Target/Varmint scope I was able to shoot five - 10 shot - sub 3/4" groups (the best 10 shot group being 9/16") - using Eley Sport. This was all done from the bench off the bipod with no rear sandbag - only shoulder supported.

I wouldn't say the Eley Sport is top of the line subsonic ammo, but it has worked pretty darn good for me as an inexpensive SS round.

If you haven't tried the subsonics as yet it wouldn't be a bad idea to give them a go. You might even be more surprised at your results from 50 and 100 yards.

Good shooting!
smile.gif

To be honest I was a bit skeptical at first about the subsonics, especially when we started talking 200 yards.

However, I gave them a try and low and behold - they work better then anything else I've ever tried. I've been very pleased with them all the way out to 275 yards. Haven't reached 300 yards as yet, but it is truly amazing what these subsonic rounds are capable of.

Well, picked up some subs at the gun show this weekend. A couple different Aguilla 40gr solids, one was Golden Eagle. WOW! Shot 10 rounds of my bulk Fed's to recheck zero from last week. Dialed it up to 100, needed to bring it back down. POS wasn't accurate, so re-zeroed and went to the subs. Figured I'd have to rezero again, so I held off on my first couple shots, readjusted the scope and put some rounds down. I didn't quite believe the way they would stack on each other, or close to it. Took them out to 100, it took me several shots to find my come up and all but I got there. Played around the center of the target, and got comfortable with these rounds. Moved to a fresh target and put a couple in the center. Called it good for the day. I want a new rifle, I bet these will stack on top of each other with right load and rifle.

Picked up a CenterPoint 4-16x40 MilDot from Wally World and mounted it up. A much better scope than the old Crossman3-9x40 I've had on. Still struggling w/ ammo consistency, but the cheap subs do OK. Am gonna have to break down and get some better, as I tried shooting a home made version of the new tacticle rimfire target(which is a killer target BTW)did pretty good through the bingo board(40 of 50), 5shot group not so much w/3 misses, KYL knew I could only hit the 1" with confidence, and the hostages well lets just say none made it. I hit 2, and missed my shot on the 3rd. My over all score if it had been a comp, was a whole 5pts. The negatives really kick your butt. But it let me know where me and my set up stand, and what needs to be worked on. I think the little Higgins can do it if I find the right ammo, as it will sometimes put 4-5 shots right on each other, then everything loosens up, etc... But this is 1.50/box Feds that aren't sorted, and group into about 2" at 50(10rds.).
So came home and floated the barrel. I have a question though. With only one action screw how do I keep it all solid? I put an alum. shim about 1" in front of the action screw to kind of help float the barrel and keep the rear of the action tight in the stock. Is this OK or will it hurt?
Have rambled on long enough, thanks for any info/comments. Always enjoy taking this antique to the range and shooting it better than most there(always have bulls-eyes to play w/ 'til the range goes cold). Thanks again,
Eric

Should've known better, but picked up some Remington Target 40gr solid standard vel. What crap! I think these were worse than the Rem. bulk ammo I was shooting before starting to test ammo's for a load my Higgins likes. Wasted $7 at Wally World, but now I know. I'm used to some variations in the ammo, but this was rediculous. One round to the left, to the right, up, and low. They were all over the place. Every once in awhile I could get a few to group together.
So I don't know if the barrel floating I did last week really helped, or if it contributed to the overall bad performance of this load. I did notice after getting home that if I pushed on the barrel the rear of the action would lift, so I moved my shim further down the barrel. About to the very front of the rear sight. That steadied it up. I don't know if the weather could've had any effect, there was a light rain for a while and the humitity of course was high. My usual Fed.Lighting 40gr solids performed as usual, or so it seemed. And so did the Aguilla subs, for the most part. Seemed like the first Aguilla would hit high the the rest would group together. ? Still trying to figure this all out. As usual, any comments or info is appreciated. Thanks for the read.
Eric

I still have the J.C. Higgins single shot .22 that my father bought for me in 1948. It was made by Stevens and has a knob that must be pulled to cock it but no scope or even any way of mounting one. I will have to take it to the range next time to see how it shoots, but I do remember that the trigger is lighter than any other rifle I own.

Don't know what year mine was made, but it's same as a Marlin 101 or there abouts. It too has a plunger to pull to cock the rifle, and 3/8 dove tail groove that I monted the scope to. My trigger is pretty horrible, but it's still fun to shoot. My first .22 was a Stevens single, that I got from my Dad's great-aunt. Cleaned it up, sanded down the stock, and oiled 'er down. Thing shot like a dream. Some dirt-bag stole it from me several years ago, along w/ 8mmMauser, Savage Tac. 30-06,Ruger P-90, AK, and an old single shot shotty. Only thing I had left was my Glock, because it was with me. Miss some of those old guns, but have rebounde a little bit. Sorry for the ramble off course, but...

Changing the location of my barrel shim, seems to have helped out a bit. Got out Sunday, after getting off call, and put 100rds of my plinkers(Fed.Lightning40gr.). Took a few rounds before settling into some nice groupings. I did put a couple patches through after shooting all the Rem. ammo last week. Shooting 1" shoot-n-c dots at 50, three groups would put 4 on each other and one a little out. When I went to 100, put up a home made hostage target. Held 1 mil for both wind and elev. Made several good hits. A few outside left, over comp. for the wind. Hit the hostage four times, not enough wind hold. Still trying to learn to read it. Overall not too bad at 100, put 45rds down and only hit bad on four.
Appears the little things I try to work on are helping, both my shooting and my old rifle. Thanks for any and all.
Eric

Finally got to the range today. Got off call at 3pm and don't ya know, it's raining. Waited a few and said what the hell, I hunt in it. Took the 30 min. drive, still raining. Get to the range area, and the 50-100yd range is closed for repairs. Seems some jack wads like to shoot at the upright supports, that hold the roof over the berm. So the only range available today was the 100-200yd range.
I had planned on going to 100 today anyhow, this way I didn't get my 50yd warm up. Took a while to get a spot, and then a cold range to put up a target. Made a man sized torso, with a 4" circle center chest, and a 2" wide T on a 9x11 head.
The old Higgins performed as good as I've seen from her today. After a couple locating shots, everthing was still on from last week, 1 mil hold at 100. Put rounds at will in the 4" circle and the T. Switched to some targets left behind, and shot a couple 5 shot groups inside of an inch, the rest were close to 1 1/2" all at 100yds. I was just amazed with the shooting today.
The ammo I used today was my usual Fed. Lightning 40 gr. solid lead, and I picked up a pack of CCI Mini-Mags 36gr HP. Both shot very well, with the same point of aim. Can't wait to see if I can keep it together back at the 50yd line. I want to shoot the new target for a score, I think. Any suggestions to help tighten us up are appreciated. Thanks.
Eric

Try some Wolf Match Target ammo. About $5.50 a bx.
My Win 67 single shot loves it.
The CZ 452 will shoot it into 3/8" groups @ 50yds.

Coach

Hit the range this last Sunday, and stretched out to 200 yds. Set up on the 100-200yd range, with targets at both. Am able to keep shots in around 4" at 100 with some good hits on 1" Shoot-n-see dots. Out at 200, a whole other story. Still Ok, but not what I want to be shooting. Put my body sized homemade target and missed 4 out of 20 on head shots. The chest, all stayed in about 8-9". Effective, just not as accurate as I'd like. Conditions for the day were; 93F,partly cloudy w/ showers, wind from my 1 variable to about 7mph. After the rain the wind switched to my 6 about the same. Did notice when the humidity went up my impacts dropped a bit. Normal? Also started seeing mirage when the humidity went up. Normal? As always thanks for any info/tips. And I thought 50-100 was a step, 100-200 is something else( but think I dig it). Thanks,
Eric