• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My JP rifle groups at 200 yards

James n TN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2004
Tennessee
Took my new JP out today broke it in and did a test at 200 yards off tailgate of my truck using a uncle buds bull bag.
I use to own yrs ago a custom built 223 built by Tommy Haskins of GA Precision and it sported a 16" heavy varmint contour barrel. The loads I worked up was 26 grains varget behind a Sierra 69 grn moly Mk. Well I have around 5000 rnds of this particular load so I decided to try it in my new JP I shot 3 five shot groups before the rain set in and here is how she did right out of the gate.
This is the first of five shots

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374433385339.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374433385339.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 14
Here is my second group

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374433486115.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374433486115.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 15
And finally right before the rain set in too hard to sit out in this is the last of my 5 shot groups for the day. I do believe I have a keeper in a rifle and a load.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374433660946.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374433660946.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 13
Here are pics of the rifle

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374436354382.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374436354382.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 21

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374436385469.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374436385469.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 17
So ....Watcha gonna do about load developing now?:rolleyes:

With shortage of powder and primers I'm thankful I don't have to do much in way of load development. I'm sure I'll have tweak them some since these loads are shot with virgin brass

One last pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374436891324.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374436891324.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 14
Jesus man, thats awesome! Did you take the shots with the vise rest as in the pic?

No I was using an uncle buds bull bag off tailgate of the truck. The last group I posted I had pulled the bag back so the hand grip was off the end of the tailgate and I pushed that up against the tailgate to hold the rifle more solid and final result a ragged hole.
Not too bad for a blind 50 yo man lol

That's some very impressive shooting, and a nice stick! JP makes some nice stuff. I just put the 15.5" free float tube on my LR308 and love it!

I think those kind of groups are pretty common in James's world as I'm assuming this is 22dasher James. Super gas gun gun groups though!

That's great. You definitely have a keeper.

The funny thing is that 26gr of Varget and 69s has been my general purpose load for a long time to share among rifles. I just use them for 3 gun stuff with 1-4x scopes, so no idea just how great it could be in my rifles.

James,
Don't take this the wrong way, but I've read about your accomplishments in the LR shooting world. You're like a rifle ninja. Hell, I bet you get get better groups with a rubber band and a paper clip, than I could with a JP. J/K. Mighty fine shooting there, brother.

man, if this is 200yards, then what is this?? about .150moa ish??? very nice.

And finally right before the rain set in too hard to sit out in this is the last of my 5 shot groups for the day. I do believe I have a keeper in a rifle and a load.

would you happen to have a pic of the target you use? i'm trying to get ideas for myself @ 200yards.

Took my new JP out today broke it in and did a test at 200 yards off tailgate of my truck using a uncle buds bull bag.
I use to own yrs ago a custom built 223 built by Tommy Haskins of GA Precision and it sported a 16" heavy varmint contour barrel. The loads I worked up was 26 grains varget behind a Sierra 69 grn moly Mk. Well I have around 5000 rnds of this particular load so I decided to try it in my new JP I shot 3 five shot groups before the rain set in and here is how she did right out of the gate.
This is the first of five shots

Awe shucks, I shoot groups like that, all the time!......... At 50yds!!! That's some fantastic shooting, right there! There's a guy, that "groups like that", at our range. But he uses a custom 243 bolt gun. Nice work!PS What kind of truck "makes the best" rest? I've got to get me one of those:-]!

Last edited:
I would definitely burn up a bunch of components seeing if you can get that thing to shoot. Maybe scrub the shit out of the barrel with a metal rod from the muzzle end and knock the copper out of it. That might help too. If you can't get it to "come in", shoot me a PM and I'll take it off your hands for ya'. :)

That is awesome. Took all the fun out of load developement. I wish I could get my JP barrel shootin' that good.

I "have to chime in", again.I "hate" these guys.{Smiley Face}. Shoots like Sgt. York. Get's the "nice guns", that hit! I have to say, from my "can't get my groups under 3 in, at 200 yds life" You GO, Fella! I'm GLAD you're living the dream! I want nothing but "More of the best", for you. But do us "older "guys, a favor. Just "once in a while". Shoot some 4in. groups,{which will probably be hard, for you. Just close your eyes, and pull the trigger} and post them, just for fun, and let us all feel a little better!{ Just a little jealous. My wife made me sell my bike.}

Last edited:
What's not to hate about this guy? The Harley, the bad-ass JP, the fact that the JP shoots somewhere in the .1 MOA range at 200 yards, or the fact that he did it on his first 15 shots off the damn tailgate of his truck!?!?!

Damn good shooting man!

Thanks for the compliments from you guys, some of you Im sure have there doubts that's ok to. I'm pretty much use to the doubters and 8-10 yrs back I got use being called everything but honest about my shooting abilities and the groups I had posted on the Internet on other sites. I even got called out on them and was told to back it up. Well I did that down in TX one year, I can't remember the year but there was a shoot at a range down there east of Fort Worth and I packed up my Mike Bryant 22-243 and headed SW. It's been so long I can't even recall the different distances we shot other than the final leg and that was at 500 yards. Some of the best shooters around came out to participate many well known BR shooters in fact. Bottom line I proved my worth and walked away winning the entire shoot. Then I began shooting 1000 yard BR never made much of a slash in that game to be honest. The long drive to shoot 15 shots, 10 in HG and 5 in LG just wasn't appealing. Then the IBS got going 600 yard BR this is where I got serious and had more barrels chambered and I was well known for shooting the 22 Dasher and kicking Ass and taking names. It took about 5 matches to get dialed in with setup and rifle handling learning what the rifle liked the best mainly in hold and bag tension. Once I got it figured out I begun winning matches and winning regularly. Then in 2004 I headed to ST Louis for an IBS match and on that day walked away with two world records. That year I shot three IBS records and placed second in SOY points. The following year I began running IBS 600 yard matches in Oak Ridge Tn and I did this for two years and those two years I learned you can not shoot competitively and run matches at the same time. After my second year I thru in the towel and got out of competitive shooting all together and took up photography as my next hobby. With the itch to shoot again I begun buying rifles and reloading supplies all over again and it's been an uphill battle one thing I learned never sell out and the cost man when did all this get so expensive? Anyhow I'm slowly getting back into accuracy shooting and this JP rifle I own I bought back in Jan and scoped it and never shot it until last weekend and the results posted are honest the goodness the truth. I no longer have anything to prove I just posted to show what this rifle is capable of. I'm sure I can repeat that but I'm also sure I can't sit and do it every time. I'm just as impressed at what a gas gun can do accuracy wise and I'd never dream they could be that accurate.
I was asked to post a target and I will tonight after I get off work and take one. Really ifnanyone has questions I'd be glad to answer and help out I'm sure with all the new toys of today I'm out of the loop but one thing I do remember and that's how to shoot even being a blind 50 year old man.

Here is an article written up about me back when I shot my world records for those interested.

Tennessee Tack-Driver

I don't think i saw anyone questioning the validity of your groups. I know I wasn't. But that's a helluva shooting run you had. I hope if I ever get that good i don't get bored with it though!

I don't think i saw anyone questioning the validity of your groups. I know I wasn't. But that's a helluva shooting run you had. I hope if I ever get that good i don't get bored with it though!

I wasn't calling anyone out, I was just saying in case there were anyone that doubted the groups and my ability I wanted to clarify who I am what I had accomplished in the past and hope to step it back up for the near future. I'm one of those guys that lurks here and don't really do much in the way of posting so to many I'm just a newbie.

Here's the target I was using that was requested.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374684390552.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374684390552.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 11
OK, So now, here's what you do. Put the Harley, on the "shooting line"{Running} We want "alll that vibration" , we can get. Put the bipod, on the handle bars{while the bike is running} And shoot some groups! They'll probably STILL be better, than mine. I'm "working on it". All I'm sayin, is BS. It's nice to see a guy, with a God Given talent, for something. Appreciate it. Use it. Enjoy! Set "the Bar", and we'll try to keep up. Thanks.

Last edited:
looks like you are done developping a load for that sweet shooter. Nothing to do with it but shooting it some more, this is what I call a boring rifle, never misses always hit and no surprises, I love boring rifles. I have a couple of those that shoots like yours too.
congrats and enjoy.

Damn nice groups! Aren't we supposed to get better with age? What cha' think groups will look like when your 60? Don't answer that, you got a while before you get there. :)