• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My load development

falluchi624

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
South Jersey
Ok guys, I just got back from the rang with some disappointing results. I haven't shot in a few months, and assumed I would be fin. not really but whatever. After doing my ocw at 200yards with a 168gr Berger VLD Federal gold metal brass, and federal 210 primers, With varget starting at 42gr, and worked up to 46gr. Shot out of my 700 .308. I think I have a node about 44.4gr and 44.8gr. They where about 1.5 to 2 inch groups, both in the almost the same spot on the targets.

So, I guess now I will play around that area of powder and maybe adjust the seating depths. Also, got my first pressure sings right at 46gr(extractor marks on head stamp).

Out of curiosity, what is a pretty standard load with varget and Berger VLD's?

My load with 168's is the same as yours 44.8, but with RP brass. It is a nice point in accuracy, yet not eating up brass like the 45.5-46 does.

Ok thanks for the info. I loaded 6 at 44.6gr, figured it was in the middle, library them Thursday. What kind of velocity do you get with that?

Noone has any loads for .308 with varget and berger vlds?

168gr Berger VLD Hunter
45gr Varget
Fed brass
Fed primers
C.O.L. 2.905
2763fps at the muzzle (magnetospeed)

Getting great groups (1/2 MOA) with this at 100 on paper, and working well out at 500-750 yards on steel. Starts to get a little iffy for me past 750.

Awesome. So right in that same rang. I shot another test with the col about .002 off the lands. It's shot ok, but the weather changed and and it got difficult to get a real idea of group size.

Happy to see that muzzle velocity, I'm guessing I'm pretty similar.