• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Longest First Round Cold Bore Hit to Date

Broz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Montana
<span style="font-weight: bold">I usually shoot this target from a different place. From there it is 1395 yards. You can see some of the old 1395 hits that I have painted over. The main reason I have never tried this from my drive way slab is, it is a booger to range that far away. The other night it was just before dark I got readings of 1562, 1564, 1562. I felt that this was a good reading. I was waiting for the perfect calm night to shoot. To night was it. I enteresd FC into my NF exbal program, dialed up 43.75 moa and 1 moa left for spin drift. Loaded a 300 gr .338 Berger Hybrid into my Lapua , found my hold and let her fly. I was able to get right back on the target to watch for dust....... no dust,....??? then came this whack! Must have hit a rock??? NO!! there is a hit low right. I drove close and walked up and took this pic. 3 3/4" low and 6 3/4" RT of center orange. Orange circle is about 7".

FC:
Temp 70
Baro 25.69
Hum 30
MV. 2785
BC .820
Vel at target 1513
Energy 1525 ft-lb
Time of flight 2.29 seconds
Elevation 43.75 moa / -715.4" / 59.61'

Rifle: .338 Lapua, 10 twist Lilja, built by Joe Starnes
Scope: 8~32x56 NF NXS

Please don't take this as a brag, I am just happy as can be. I am confident the .338 Berger Hybrids have taken my affective range to the next level.

Jeff
DSC02408Small.jpg

From behind the target back to the place I shot from.

DSC02410Small.jpg

</span>

Re: My Longest First Round Cold Bore Hit to Date

That's a pretty good poke, Broz. What are the specs on your rifle and what was your load?

Cinch, It is a .338 Lapua on a Mark V Wby SS action. Barrel is a Lilja 1 in 10, 27 1/2" #8 contour. A-5 McMillan, Near 46 moa custom base, NF steel rings, 8~32x56 NXS with a NPR-2. I am 1.5 moa off bottom of elevation and zeroed at 300. Rifle has 850 rounds down the tube. The 300 gr Hybrids are awesome out of this rife. I have 100 + down it and it has consistantly held .5 moa past 1200.

Load is 91.5 gr of H-1000 in 9x fired Lapua brass
CCI 250
Berger 300 gr Hybrid .015" off the lands
ES in the single digets

Jeff

DSC00601Medium.jpg

that looks like a beautiful place to shoot, i wish ohio was like that!. great shooting as well.

Very nice! I like it. Just got a Lapua myself and looking forward to stretching it out.

Nice shooting. Are you saying that you just shot it from your drive way?? If so I hate you. I would love to have a place like that. Just shoot from the front/back of the house.

That is a hell of a shot. Feels great don't it? I shot 1000 for the first time the other day, and I had a grin from ear to ear after nailing the target on demand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting. Are you saying that you just shot it from your drive way?? If so I hate you. I would love to have a place like that. Just shoot from the front/back of the house. </div></div>

Thanks! lol! Yeah, I know it is very nice to be able to shoot from the garage door. But I am going to have to move the targets soon. The elk have went back up to higher pasture. When I went up to check the target I spooked a heard of about 75 that were up there. Can't be scarin the elk.. LOL

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinzmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting. What range finder did you use for the shot? </div></div>

Thanks. I ranged it a few days ago right before dark. I used a Swaro Laserguide on two sand bags on the top of our car. The target is on top of a small hill. My rest was solid. I was able to keep raising it till the target was in the bottom of the reticle, and I stopped getting readings. Then I slowly lowered it till it read again. When I got a few consecutive readings I felt I was getting the target and not the ground. The Swaro beam is about a 9 ft. circle at this distance.

Jeff

I've got a Swaro also. I got a target rich area to range out to 3k plus. Unfortunately it my local town as I'm on a hill overlooking it. Good thing is I get a lot of practice ranging different stuff. I usually try to hit natural stuff like trees, bushes and sand berms as these will be more realistic when I shoot in the boonies. I can consistently get 1600 on natural stuff and 1900 on manmade things. This is done usually at dusk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love montana:) </div></div>

It's a great state!
grin.gif

Somebody posted earlier if there was a place on the east coast to shoot 2000 yds.

Here, we just set up in our driveway and shoot our steel plate on the hillside.

Is that cool or what?
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love montana:) </div></div>

It's a great state!
grin.gif

Somebody posted earlier if there was a place on the east coast to shoot 2000 yds.

Is that cool or what?
wink.gif

John </div></div>

It is way cool indeed. We LOVE Montana too.

Jeff

Very nice shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">]

It's a great state!
grin.gif

Is that cool or what?
wink.gif

John </div></div>

Been hunting in Montana the past 2 years. First year for pheasant and last year for deer. I learned 2 things. One, I love Montana and really wanna move there. Two, I can't hit pheasants for crap
laugh.gif

I just got some of the Bergers and a new 1/9 tube on my TRG. I should be shooting them next week sometime. I have the Raton match this weekend

I want to see how good at 2k at this altitude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just got some of the Bergers and a new 1/9 tube on my TRG. I should be shooting them next week sometime. I have the Raton match this weekend

I want to see how good at 2k at this altitude. </div></div>

I wish more people were shooting them. Please report your findings with them. If you shoot some 1000 yrd groups I would love to see them.

I think they got some undeserved bad press. Obviously, they are not working in some of the hotrods, but they sure work good in my Lapua. I have built my share of fast rifles before and it has always been a challenge to find a bullet that would hold up. Even my first 220 swift or my old 6mm 284 will smoke bullets. But now, Berger makes these and they failed in some Lapuas loaded with fast burning ball powder and people are staying away. Heck, I don't know of any ONE bullet that works in every rifle.

I did some expansion testing with the 300gr Hybrid at 1180 yards. Bullet velocity was just under 1800. They passed through 1/4" wood, 2" dirt/compost a sheet of 1/2" plywood then 14" more dirt/compost and exited with a 1 3/4" hole. I think I may have found the perfect hunting bullet for my rifle. Time and more rounds down range wll tell.

Jeff

Wow that is fantastic! I bet that made your day. Congratulations.

Great shooting
Is the H1000 the most accurate powder for the hybrid bergers you have found?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338lmshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting
Is the H1000 the most accurate powder for the hybrid bergers you have found? </div></div>

It has always been the most accurate and less temp sensitive of the powders I have tried in my LM. But it is the only powder I have tried with the hybrids. Load work up was easy. The differences in affect of seating depth was small, so I settled for the lowest ES.

Jeff

Nice shooting!! Looks good and green where you are too.

It does look green. Also looks familiar, but I can be wrong. Is that canyon ferry?

Excellent shooting.

Jeff

that is getting to done pretty well. Nice shooting. I love H1000 in my 7WSM, I'm glad to see it works well in the 338 too.

JeffVN

what's the level of angle in that shot ? how much higher is the target than firing point ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It does look green. Also looks familiar, but I can be wrong. Is that canyon ferry?

Excellent shooting.</div></div>

I'm guessing he's at the more southerly end of Canyon Ferry on the East side. Just North of Townsend. That pic looks like it's looking West with the lower hills on the right being Spokane Bench and the taller Mountains on the left being the Bulls. He's about 10 mi. South of MontanaMarine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spurs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's the level of angle in that shot ? how much higher is the target than firing point ? </div></div>

Spurs, I have not taken an elevation at the target. But my Angle degree indicator says 3.5 degrees. I plugged it into the NF program but it didn't change the dope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It does look green. Also looks familiar, but I can be wrong. Is that canyon ferry?

I'm guessing he's at the more southerly end of Canyon Ferry on the East side. Just North of Townsend. That pic looks like it's looking West with the lower hills on the right being Spokane Bench and the taller Mountains on the left being the Bulls. He's about 10 mi. South of MontanaMarine. </div></div>

Yes, that is Canyon Ferry, pic is taken looking West. We have had a great June with lots of rain this year. It is green rght now. We are about 20 miles north of Townsend , about 1/2 way up the lake. LOL, Montana Marine and I have just met. But we have been shooting within a few miles of each other fr quite some time.

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It does look green. Also looks familiar, but I can be wrong. Is that canyon ferry?

I'm guessing he's at the more southerly end of Canyon Ferry on the East side. Just North of Townsend. That pic looks like it's looking West with the lower hills on the right being Spokane Bench and the taller Mountains on the left being the Bulls. He's about 10 mi. South of MontanaMarine. </div></div>

Yes, that is Canyon Ferry, pic is taken looking West. We have had a great June with lots of rain this year. It is green rght now. We are about 20 miles north of Townsend , about 1/2 way up the lake. LOL, Montana Marine and I have just met. But we have been shooting within a few miles of each other fr quite some time.

Jeff</div></div>

In my haste to identify the place, I forgot to say congratulations! So, CONGRATULATIONS! Boy do I feel dumb.

I have to say I sure do miss living out there. Just getting up every day and seeing that beauty was something I always made it a point to appreciate.

BTW, you couldn't ever tell I was on your side of the lake or anything eh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, you couldn't ever tell I was on your side of the lake or anything eh?</div></div>

LOL, yeah, I figured you had spent some time out here. Wher were at?

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, you couldn't ever tell I was on your side of the lake or anything eh?</div></div>

Jeff</div></div>

We lived right in Helena. I used to work for Hydrometrics then Helena Sand and Gravel. I lived down in Boulder for three years while going to A&P school.

And I hunted huns on that side of the lake a couple times. Those are worse than chukar I think. Too far apart between coveys. I used to hunt them down South of Boulder as well. Off the Toston/Radersburg road.

When I first moved up to Montana it was to Lewistown, where I logged. I love all that Charlie Russell country.

thx Broz re the elevation. Looking forward to some more of these posts.

For a while I thought my wife wanted to move to Montana....then she changed her mind...dangit! Here I was getting all warm and fuzzy thinking about all the long distance shooting I might get in.

One thing about Montana, though is the winters are usually long and cold. When I lived in Boulder we got snowed on 12 months out of the year, three years in a row. It hadn't stuck Since April. But, the thought of snow encroaching on summer was a little annoying at times. 'Course the 4 weeks prior to and the day after the July 2-3 snow it was 65, sunny, and beautiful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing about Montana, though is the winters are usually long and cold. When I lived in Boulder we got snowed on 12 months out of the year, three years in a row. It hadn't stuck Since April. But, the thought of snow encroaching on summer was a little annoying at times. 'Course the 4 weeks prior to and the day after the July 2-3 snow it was 65, sunny, and beautiful. </div></div>

wink.gif

I tell people we have two seasons here. Winter and Not-Winter. Either can show up any day of the year and on consecutive days. Of course this year has been Seattle here. I'm guessing we're going to set some sort of record for rainfall.

John

IMG_1368.jpg

Winter.....that ain't fog!

mypicsofWY001.jpg

Not winter....lived here my whole life and will never leave!

I recall one summer when I was a kid. We were at the rodeo in Harlowton on the 4th of July. Temp dropped, clouds rolled in, and snow started flying. Gotta love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, you couldn't ever tell I was on your side of the lake or anything eh?</div></div>

Jeff</div></div>

We lived right in Helena. I used to work for Hydrometrics then Helena Sand and Gravel. I lived down in Boulder for three years while going to A&P school.

And I hunted huns on that side of the lake a couple times. Those are worse than chukar I think. Too far apart between coveys. I used to hunt them down South of Boulder as well. Off the Toston/Radersburg road.

When I first moved up to Montana it was to Lewistown, where I logged. I love all that Charlie Russell country. </div></div>Did you know any of the Palister boys..Zac has the plumbing company in Helena.Became friends with his brother the lawyer when I lived in Alaska.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, you couldn't ever tell I was on your side of the lake or anything eh?</div></div>

Jeff</div></div>

When I first moved up to Montana it was to Lewistown, where I logged. I love all that Charlie Russell country. </div></div>Did you know any of the Palister boys..Zac has the plumbing company in Helena.Became friends with his brother the lawyer when I lived in Alaska.</div></div>

I probably did, as I worked construction there for Dick Anderson, and Derek Brown. The first I really liked, the second I could do without ever remembering. Another guy, I can't remember his name I worked for doing teardown on a big job. He wanted me to stick around but wanted to wait to see my skills. Anyhow, I moved on into aviation.

I also did some side work for Jack Black, Trucking and transport guy. Great guy. Met him down at the Early Bird. As far as I know the Early Bird II is still running in it's new spot. I hope. You can't beat a great breakfast house.

Good Shooting man, I just got to shoot at 1600 yards for the first time. No pic's though, and if I had them I would be too scared to post and violite one of the "group size rules."

If you shoot and don't bring Californians, come to Idaho! We have desert like montana, but winters aren't near as bad, especially on the western side of the state. Not to diss this Montana thread, it's beautiful country.

1650 yards is my furthest cold bore shot with srs 338LM but i did it three different times in a 30 day period.
smile.gif
Target was a 30" steel circle.

damn fine shooting sir.

Montana looks badass!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn fine shooting sir.

Montana looks badass!!!</div></div>

It ain't so badass as just plain beautiful. Beautiful in many ways. And at times the ugly creeps in and then the beautiful gets back. Like the end of winter and breakup, when you're so sick of mud and yellow stick grass...then one or two days later you're looking at a vivid green meadow. That's how fast winter comes to an end. Not like it still won't snow on you though.
confused.gif
(WTW?..God playin' jokes?)

Or the times you're on a pass and watching scattered T-storms out in a valley clear as a bell.... 70 miles away.

Or, the classic, you and the family are driving along and there from the road you see a 7 pt. bull. With a month to go before season.

I drove 60 mi. each way a lot of days in weather just like what PGS pic shows. It's tough out there, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Sandwarrior,

Sounds like this place is in your blood...

I know it's become pretty special to me.

I used to think it was pretty arrogant to call it "The Last Best Place". I think I'm beginning to understand.

Great people.

Good land.

What more could a man want?

John

Yes I would have to agree. Montana has lots of natural places for the long range shooter, from wide open canyons to flat ground that just wont quit. I live in the Weastern part of the state where there are not allot of people yet so a fella can preety much streach out and sling some lead without to much hassle. Practice and lots of it in some of the most interesting spots in North America. The .338 sounds like a real flyer I shoot a 7mm Rem mag and am just learning to go long, but I will get there someday. Nice shootin...

Broz,

Awesome shooting and awesome gun man...I do have a question for you...With my 338 edge at 1,000 yards when there is no wind I dial .75 left for spin drift and it's been dead on.

Most of the time when I am shooting 1,450 at my place, I don't count for spin drift cause the wind is blowing and I just dope the wind and walk it in if I have to. I think I have shot so much and learned to kind of work the spin drift in on my standard calculations.

So my question here is this...If I was shooting 1,400, I think for my edge I would use like 1 1/2 minutes at least. So where did you get the .75? did you find that somewhere in a program or is it just experience.

Im just wondering why my edge and your gun would be so different???

thanks
zman

broz,

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">The 300 gr Hybrids are awesome out of this rife. I have 100 + down it and it has consistantly held .5 moa past 1200.</span></span>

I will bet you're gonna be ticked when berger changes this bullet..Ive read some of your posts and it really looks like your gun has a love affair with the new Berger...Im impressed

zman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body">broz,

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">The 300 gr Hybrids are awesome out of this rife. I have 100 + down it and it has consistantly held .5 moa past 1200.</span></span>

I will bet you're gonna be ticked when berger changes this bullet..Ive read some of your posts and it really looks like your gun has a love affair with the new Berger...Im impressed

zman</div></div>

Thanks zman, Recently in a conversation with Eric Stecker, he stated they were not going to change this bullet. But they were going to add another design for the larger cases using faster burn rate powders with higher acceleration rates. He told me I would always be able to get this very bullet.

Jeff