• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Manners ordeal at stocky's stocks: UPDATED WITH MESSAGE FROM STOCKY'S

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
I am leaving the original post and thread intact for context but below i will be posting the outreach I received from the president of stocky's. I was quite impressed by this and if you've been following the thread, please read about stocky's response

Just a little heads up on a lesson I guess I am learning the hard way. Stocky's stocks charges a %25 restocking fee on some stocks if you return them. This is on a stock ordered out of their inventory not special ordered and on a stock literally not even unpacked. This is NOT mentioned anywhere during the ordering process.

Stocky's Complete Satisfaction Promise: "you'll be pleased or you may exchange the item or get your money back within 10 days of receipt of unused, unaltered item purchased from in stock inventory less cc processing and shipping charges if applicable." This is simply a false promise.

I called to talk to someone in customer service and was blown away at the disregard with which my concern was addressed. I have been doing business for a long time with lots of different vendors. I have always found the people and especially the vendors in our sport and industry among the most customer service oriented. I am very disappointed in stocky's

I guess I will be posting a literally bnib manners stock in the ee

well……its been a couple of hours and here's the outcome:
--first told me to send stock back and "they'd see what they could do" for me
--then told me how uber special manners stocks were that now since I had put fingerprints on it I had to pay 25% and that I should have bought a bell and carleson if I wanted to avoid hurt feelings about returns. They actually quoted me those lines and said they are "company policy:" I asked them where and got no response
--then they said i was threatening to steal from them and that they would prosecute me

Last edited:
and that makes it sound like getting return authorization negates that 25%…………………it doesn't

StockysStocks.com (MBI, Inc.) Customer Service

"Items returned without a return authorization may be subject to a minimum 25% handling / processing charge assuming the goods are in new condition."

I don't like how companies put "may be subject" but the notice is there.

Added bold above. The way it is worded, an item with a return authorization should not be subject to a restocking fee.

Ker2222, did you call within 10 days and get a return authorization?

I recently exchanged an HS Precision for another HS with them without any issues. Seems like they may apply that 25% fee on items that they don't want to accept a return on.

yeah, I'd get that if it were a custom order…..but, like their lit says this was "in-stock inventory"……..rem 700 rh/sa varm bc for goodness sake….I am sure they would have it resold before they had even fully processed my %25 fee

kinda bummed about the stock thing the most. I was excited about trying out a manners for this build. I have several mcmillans and some nice laminates but wanted to try the manners. Kinda a foul taste now about the whole thing. The "fingerprints" on manners stocks was just a bit too much.

lol….that was their explanation for the huge restocking fee. Because of fingerprints and that guys wouldn't want to buy the stock now that it had been touched. I felt like a little kid being yelled at to wash my hands…..

trying to laugh it off right now. Preeeeeeeety hot to say the least. thanks for letting me vent fellas

Fingerprints? What is the fucking stock made out of glass. That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard. Seriously, do a chargeback and tell them you have a big bag full of dicks they suck.

Manners is a good company so don't get a sour taste in your mouth about the product itself, just the vendor.

To that note... I would call Manners and let them know how you have been treated and exactly what they told you. It probably won't do any good, but you never know. If I produced a product and found out one of my vendors was jerking people around, I would want to know.

You should get it back as I am sure you could sell it for closer to what you paid for it than 25%.

Is there something wrong with the stock? Just curious why you need to return it and if that has something to do with their reasoning/policy.

well……its been a couple of hours and here's the outcome:
--first told me to send stock back and "they'd see what they could do" for me
--then told me how uber special manners stocks were that now since I had put fingerprints on it I had to pay 25% and that I should have bought a bell and carleson if I wanted to avoid hurt feelings about returns. They actually quoted me those lines and said they are "company policy:" I asked them where and got no response
--then they said i was threatening to steal from them and that they would prosecute me

That's pretty messed up. What the hell are you supposedly stealing?

Its odd that they mentioned they'd take it back if it was a B&C. I ordered a B&C from them that was defective out of the box. They hit me with the same 25% restocking fee crap despite them selling me a defective product and called me a liar saying there's no possible way the stock was defective, and would not refund me in full under any circumstances. One call to visa and the next day I had the full amount including shipping charges in my account and a email with a return label.

Granted this was a defective product, if you just ordered the stock and it's what you ordered and decided you don't want it then they will probably get their 25% in the end. You have a popular stock in a popular inlet so you are much better off selling it here.

Next time make sure you definitely want it before you order from them because they are up front about the restocking fee. I understand it to an extent, I wouldn't want people returning shit all the time because they had remorse, or their wife bitched them out for spending the money. A company shouldn't have to pay for a consumers mistake.

end of the evening summary and post-mortem:
1. TOM MANNERS and manners stocks are awesome. He has offered to help and I am sure it will get all sorted out. It is quite frankly the most awesome customer service I have ever even heard of.

anyway….thanks to Tom Manners for being beyond stand up. I consider this matter closed and a lesson learned about who to do business with. I think I will be sticking with hide sponsers from here on out exclusively

Last edited:
HUGE +1 for Tom and Co.!! One of the finest in the business...PERIOD!

HUGE -1,000/Go @#$% Yourselves, @$$HOLES to Stocky's. That's just PATHETIC on so many levels its not even funny!! If that's how they want to do business...they'll not be getting any of my hard-earned dollars!

I wish other companies would take note of all the positive public relations that Manners' actions got him here. Just like my dealings with Dillon precision (reloading machines), companies with great customer service have better long term survivability, and do better financially in the long run.

Manners will always take care of you and make some awesome stocks. Trying to get another in the way her soon also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Good to hear that Tom is helping you out. Had no doubt he would do anything he can while I read your first few posts, kept reading... Yep, TManners to the rescue

I had the same issue with stockys over a manners last week. I called twice and emailed them and kept getting the same bs from them you got. Finally I filed a paypal dispute with them and their parent company told met to send it back for a full refund. They said that stockys refuses to explicitly list their policy for McMillan or manners on their customer service and FAQ and the items page itself. They said policy changes need to be made, no shit

I've been considering an after market stock for a Savage with an Accustock. Stocky's is where I was contemplating making the purchase. With the possibility that fitting an after market stock to a newer Savage with a BDM can run into problems this thread has convinced me that Stocky's is not the vendor I want to business with. I would like to know why the OP decided to return a new stock immediately after obtaining it but thanks for posting your customer service experience. The second poster experiencing a similar issue closed the door on Stocky's for me.

Well….I believe that if you are going to publicly you need to praise publicly as well--to do otherwise is dishonest.

So, I must commend Mr. Bitz the president of Stocky's. My complaints and issues were brought to his attention and he reached out to me with an email letter that was sincere and meaningful.

The letter begins very frankly and puts the power of action behind his words--He states "you were right and our policy has been changed." To summarize a very long letter, the President of Stocky's explained the original rational for the policy and tried to give me his perspective. He apologized for my difficulties and thanked me for bringing the issue to light and, as already stated, the company is going to change its policy on dealing with returns of high end stocks like manners. They will be treated like any other return and the 25% restocking fee is no more.

More important to me was than any return policy was the tone and thoughtfulness of the letter. Frankly, this issue was never about the money but about respect and integrity and about standing by your word. What angered me so much yesterday was what appeared to be a complete disregard for any of those lofty ideals. We have an expression around here called "being pencil whipped." Its that thing that lawyers, accountants and the mean librarian lady at school do sometimes. Its what such people who are in charge do to those who aren't in charge not because they are right but because they have the power to do so. Its making yourself right through the power of words even though it was your own deeds that put you in the wrong. Yesterday I was getting pencil whipped by Stocky's and I didn't like it. You can expect that kind of treatment from the IRS and maybe Wal Mart --but I always hoped and assumed our sport and industry was mostly above that.

Today's letter was entirely
different. Today's letter and thoughts were of a man and a company willing to learn and grow from its own experiences--good and bad. Today's letter was from a man and a company that truly cares about his customers and fellow shooters. Most importantly, the ideas and thoughts in today's letter were those of a man and company having the integrity to stand by their word and reach out to someone they had wronged--not because they had to or because my business matters to their bottom line but, rather, because it was the right thing to do. I respect that very much.

Highest praise I can give right now right here is to say I will give Stocky's another chance to earn my business---I will be back at this build soon enough and looking for a new stock soon enough. And i know this, it will be a manners stock and I will buy it from Stocky's

Thanks to everyone who voiced their support--especially Tom Manners who sets the standard for integrity and standing by your word.

Last edited:
glad this worked out, i was lurking and reading and this outcome speaks volumes. i have ordered from stockysstocks in the past and haven't had any problems myself but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened in the future.

service speaks volumes online, people often hunt too hard for price and forget the error/human possibility…

Kerr222,

Very classy move on your part, telling us about the heartfelt letter. Glad it worked out for you.

Regards, Paul

That is pretty stand up of the Stocky's Pres. Good for him.

Now, regarding Tom Manners, I am not surprised in the least by him stepping in to help. That is just how Tom conducts business and treats people. I've seen Tom and Matt at Manners go well above and beyond for customers many times.

Manners products are outstanding. But the people behind the product are every bit as important and with Manners you are guaranteed to have them support you no matter what.

Mark

Customer service is the corner stone of a purchase for me. Thx for update. I take them off my black list.

Trauma1

Good update.

But the pessimist in me wonders if Tom Manners did not have a chat with Stocky's? :)

Maybe the owner of Stocky's needs to have a 3rd party order a stock and then call for a return and refund and monitor the call himself...he'd see what a tool some of his people can be...

Tom Manners machined a magazine box and bedded my .338-06 because the tang sat high in the stock for no cost, after seeing a post on this forum about the fit. You just can't beat customer service like that, and it creates return customers!

Matt and Manners is just as awesome. Met them both at SHOT last week and they spent all the time in he world answering my questions with passion. I have two manners stocks I used this year and quit happy with both of them. Good Folks!

end of the evening summary and post-mortem:
1. TOM MANNERS and manners stocks are awesome. He has offered to help and I am sure it will get all sorted out. It is quite frankly the most awesome customer service I have ever even heard of.

anyway….thanks to Tom Manners for being beyond stand up. I consider this matter closed and a lesson learned about who to do business with. I think I will be sticking with hide sponsers from here on out exclusively

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Also glad they finally have their policy issues taken care of

I called Manners today and related the good mojo being put out by Brother Tom. I asked the lady on the phone to relay to Tom the high esteem in which he is held. Might have already posted this, but he called me personally when I had to return a stock to his factory for a bad barrel inlet. I had spec'd a #7 and it was inlet for MTU. Class act all the way.

Oh, almost forgot to mention I ordered a MCS-T for a 700 build.

I take care of those that take care of my friends and me.