• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my new 260 rem

HSNARC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Central Illinois
Here is my new .260 Remington built on a stock 700 s/a. This is my first custom rifle and in hindsight i did a lot of things wrong with this one that i wont do on the next one, but i guess making expensive mistakes is the fastest way to learn.

Specs:
Rem 700 stock S/A, Blueprinted
Lilja 26in 1-8.5 twist Barrel, Tapers from 1.225 to .820
H.S. Precision stock from the original rifle
20MOA Leupold Base
Over sized recoil lug
Factory rem trigger, worked down to about 2.5
IOR 3-18X42 FFP GEN 4 MIL/MIL

It may look a bit weird, and the reason being is that i live here in central IL and gunsmiths are few and far between, so when i found a competent one he happened to be a benchrest shooter that also builds some amazing rifles; amazing but nowhere near tactical.

I like this rifle alot, and i think the smith did an excellent job. That being said after the build was complete i wish i would have done some things differently, like find a builder more in tune with the type of shooting i plan on doing, and start from scratch with a custom action. My biggest gripe with the rifle is that it sucks at feeding rounds. Its a stock DBM and bottom metal. IS there anything i can do to remedy this or should i just get use to loading them one at a time?

I also have to thank Scott at liberty for the excellent customer service on the IOR, great company to deal with.

24pb76d.jpg

n4jyfk.jpg

29p6a7b.jpg

200y36g.jpg

35lhgzn.jpg

Thanks Jason

Re: my new 260 rem

For pics, upload to tinypic.com and then copy and paste the line of code that says its for forums. Should start with

When I put together my 6.5 Creedmoor I had to tweek the magazine a bit to get them to cycle smoothly. I had to do it to my AI mags and Morta 10rd mag but they've worked perfect since then.

I had to bend the two top portions of the magazine out just a bit so the round would ride just a little higher in the magazine. A friend of mine had to do that to his magazines too (also AI and Morta.

JF you shouldn't have to have done that to the mags for the Creedmoor. I have 5 10 round AI mags and 5 5 rounders and all cycle fine with my Creedmoor. Was the DBM not inletted deep enough in the stock?

Its definatly going to get an ajustable cheek rest as the HS precision is very lacking in that department.

Im also seriously considering some paint. I see alot of very sexy rifles here with the stencils and cerakote, and I am wondering if painting a rifle/scope is somthing a novice should try in his garage? Is it easy to screw up somthing awful? or should i just rattle can everything but the scope flat black and call it a day?

Having a rifle built is always a learning experience. It is like building your first house. You think you have everything figured out until it is done. You do have a very nice looking rifle. As long as you are happy with it is all that matters.

Congratulations on your new .260 you are going to love it. Hopefully you can come back and give us a range report at a later date.

Enjoy the gun for now and in the future you may be able to take it and add some good bottom metal, but for now just shoot it and have a good time with it!

Sounds of whistling. Nice looking rifle you got there Jay. I always find 20/20 hindsight is something else. You look back on most things major and always think there is something else you could have changed. Look forward to the range report.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JF you shouldn't have to have done that to the mags for the Creedmoor. I have 5 10 round AI mags and 5 5 rounders and all cycle fine with my Creedmoor. Was the DBM not inletted deep enough in the stock? </div></div>

I was thinking that too but, two of my friends who run sister guns to mine had to do the same thing. They run AICS stocks so I figured maybe it was the action. The three rifles are built off Stiller Tac-30's.

Thanks guys i feel better now lol

Thank you JF, I tried a little bending and that seemed to help the problem tremendously.

Cant wait till i get some more OT checks in so i can start cranking out rounds to feed this thing.

Looks fine to me sometimes less is more,just get some paint on her and give us a range report

I think the rifle looks good. It doesn't need to be painted fancy to print little groups.
smile.gif
Best of luck!

We have quite a few of the factory detach mag rifles in use and they are all a little touchy as for feeding. If you want it to function better I would do as a couple of other guys suggested and use either the Badger, or CDI, or similar floor metal so you can useAI mags. That should take care of your feeding problems and give you the ability to have ten round mags if you want. By the way being that it is factory detach mag you can not just put a regular non mag stock on it, as the bottom of the receiver is milled out for the factory setup.

I've used a non "tactical" smith b4 as well. There are tons of other excellent smiths out there. By the way, I really like your bolt knob.

ya i like it a lot too Pete, i wish i could tell you where it came from but i told the smith to just thread the bolt handle and i would buy an over sized bolt knob. Well when i showed up to claim it this knob was on it and i liked it so much i didn't say a word.

I would recommend a stock pack like the Eagle stock pack or one of the blackhack variety.
If it isn't quite high enough, put a little foam under it to bring it up.
Those damn adjustable cheekpieces will slip at the wrong time, or you can never seem to get ot back in the exact same position.

That is a good looking rifle and I am sure it will be a great shooter. There is NOTHING wrong with that HS precision stocks, they are good stocks.

Nice looking first custom Jason! Be proud of it. And being built by a BR smith it may just turn out to be one heck of a accurate rifle.

I have had a few rifles with that HS stock. And the Karsten cheek piece does wonders for it. More info here: http://www.imageseek.com/karsten/gallery/forsale

Keep us posted and by all means...RANGE REPORT ASAP.

Take care,Stan

I use a HS stock and I really like it. I like the other trick stocks too but for the money it gets the job done just fine.

I think if you had a Smith build the rifle then the Smith should have made sure it cycled before he handed it over to you. I'd give him a call and have them take a look at it.
Curt

Great looking rifle, and I bet it will shoot as good as it looks.

I agree with 'Netz' the smith should have made sure before handing you the rifle, that everything was working as it should and seing as you are having problems, should take it back and fix it.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the removable magazine option and stay witht the BDL set up.

I find the magazine severely restricts the seating length of the bullet, VLD's in particular, whereas the BDL set up allows for much longer set.

Of course, if you intend to 'single' feed then it is a moot point.

Looks like a fine rifle! I would have no qualms about driving that. +1 on the stock pack-- really helped me out for my non adjust type stock. I like my DBM, but like was said above, depends what you need/want

Not sure why a BR smith couldn't build a tactical rifle? Agreed he should have cycled the action to test feeding but as far as cutting the chamber, action truing, trigger work and bedding I would think a BR smith would fit the bill just fine. Looks real good. I'll bet it shoots great. I'd also vote for the CDI bottom metal. I believe it's under 3 bones.

I've never been behind an ior but thinking of getting one.. I hear their good quality... how do you like yours??