• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My new competition rifle

Hogstooth

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2004
Texas
www.vttactical.com
I have been shooting competitions for a long time, mostly minor ones but also some of the major ones like Rifles Only, ASC, and recently getting into more serious comps like PTS and K&M which feature the PRS matches. I have always shot a 308 other than shooting my 300WSM at ASC but even when I started shooting ASC I did it most of the time with a 308 and I have done pretty well. Since getting into the more serious matches I have noticed the top guys shooting custom calibers and was surprised at how long some of the barrels are, but after talking to some of these guys and see their results well I guess the 22" 308 has got to go!!!

I've got the bug now, so I contacted my smith Mark Williams of Raven Rifles about 6 months ago and we started talking calibers and such, and it started with a 24" barrel then quickly went to a 26", I had already decided on what I wanted for a stock which is the McMillan A3-5 and we ordered it in the new McMillan camo which is similar to multicam and looks great!! Next was the barrel, I had won a cert from Rock Creek barrels but as of this date I don't know when I will get that? No worries, I ordered one from Shawn at Hawk Hill customs, he is a Va. smith who builds his own rifle barrels and guarentees 1/4 MOA out of his barrel, which I have seen out of two other rifles that my buddies have had built by him. Got the barrel quick less than six weeks!! So, got most everything together and shipped off to mark to assemble!! I went with Jered Joplin's bottom metal which my buddy Chad had two extras at a good price which is super nice and the mag release is smooth and easy!!

So here are the final specs
Rem 700 stainless action blue printed
Hawk Hill custom 7mm barrel in MTU profile 1/8.3 finished at 26"
Surefire muzzle brake
McMillan A3-5 stock in their camo pattern molded
APA bottom metal
Chambered in 7mm-08
Badger Ordnance 20MOA scope rail and rings
Dark earth cerekote by Mark Williams

I will post some more detailed pics later this week, fit and finish is awesome

15qqmj6.jpg

156zjhi.jpg

ifvi8k.jpg

Last edited:
I have already begun load development which I started earlier about a month ago, the barreled action was done so I slapped it in a HS stock and started working on a load. I am using IMR 4350 and getting really good results, just need to finalize my loads here next week and I will be ready to start training with her. Getting 2800 and just over between the two charges that I have settled on, so I will confirm which one I want to use plus my final OAL and its off to the races!!! Can't wait to shoot this weekend!! Capt pic sent here in a sec.

sweet! that looks like a great setup! can't wait to see the helmet cam footage. out of curiosity, why did you go with 7mm instead of something smaller like 6 or 6.5?

sweet! that looks like a great setup! can't wait to see the helmet cam footage. out of curiosity, why did you go with 7mm instead of something smaller like 6 or 6.5?

Was woundering the same thing? I was actually thinking of putting together a 08 for competition/hunting rifle sence I can only afford one nice rifle and need it to be multipurpose. I've just been hesitant seeing the 6mm/6.5mm dominating the comps, but I'm thinking that's probably more the shooter than the caliber.

Zak Smith did an interesting comparison between all the calibers and if you look at wind capability the 7mm-08 is almost as good as the .284 Win. and sustains that capability all the way to 1k, there are alot of new bullets for the 7mm that also help in that reguard for example the Hornady 162gr has a great BC and if you can push it to 2800+ then you cut your windage almost in half from a 308.

I didn't pick .284 because you loose one to three rounds out of a magazine and there are several stages that require 10rds which means I would have to reload and burns time.

Last edited:
Jeez S, with barrel and brake it is almost as long as you are tall! :)
P.S. you were missed on the mountain.

I was happy to build this rifle for Sean. He gave it a lot of thought (trust me). I personally like the stock camo color and color of the barreled action. Really looking for range reports. We had a reamer specially ground for this rifle so I'm expecting a good report.

Damn bro, very nice. I just got my Hawk Hills barrel in the mail today :D 1-8.7 twist .284. Gonna be a lot of 7-08's runnin around now (thanks a lot Vinny haha)

Nice rifle Sean. It only took you about 7 years longer than the rest of us to ditch those 22" .308s but at least you made it ;) LOL

And also it's time to dump that 3-12 and get a good 20-25x top end scope. You're not in the Corps anymore and don't have to use issue gear LOL

Last edited:

708 is a really nice chambering. Easy on throats, excellent in the wind, and creates a nice splash.

The downside is recoil (more than a 308 when both are loaded full-tilt for LR use), and they sure aren't flat like the 6s.

Glad to see you've upgraded your match rifle, Sean!

Very sweet Rifle! I go back and forth on how to build my next rifle and this just makes for more options to consider.

How much does that bad boy weigh and what is the over all length?

What's not to like about that? I would like to see some groups. Never heard of Raven Rifles is that someone close to you?

Rob, yes I know it has taken me awhile but I also was not shooting any major matches like I am now, and even with that lil ol 308 I am still doing pretty well but compared to everyone else's comp guns it has showed me how that lil edge helps. I will still shoot that 308 but just not as often any more, and yes I will be getting a lil more scope once I get the funds. All takes is time and money unless you want to give me one of your S&Bs you aren't using!! LOL.

I shot this yesterday at an F class match trying to test my loads so to speak and at 1k got seven 10s and four Xs, with some pretty good winds 8-10.

I will post up some groups as soon as I get some printed, shot the F class and started at 800 without even zeroing the scope, was only 1 MIL off in elevation.

Mark is located down near Blacksburg (VT area) and does excellent work, my 308 is easy sub MOA at 800yds I shot this 600yd group in Pa. when I was doing my load development
258ry43.jpg

I will get it zeroed and shoot some groups this weekend, but it will probably need a lil more tweaking and confirmation before I call it good

Just got a S&B 4-16 from a fellow hide member to go on top of this, and now that I have this great rifle built, bullets are drying up fast!!! Dang it!!! I will post up some new pictures wearing her new skirt, also got some more great groups out of her.