• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new Rem 700 SPS-V .308

knighthawk001

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
I finally got the rifle ive been wanting for a long time now, a Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 win. I had always planned on buying this gun but never pulled the trigger until I saw it at a gun store and couldn't say no
smile.gif
I want to use this as a starting platform for a target shooter. I have a Bushnell Elite 10x40 scope im putting on it and im going to use a EGW base will Burris rings. I will be replacing the stock as soon as funds allow. What do you guys think? I figured this gun is close to the 700P in performance so it should be a good platform to start with. I would like to hit at least 600 yards with this gun.

20121230_150012.jpg

20121230_145950.jpg

20121230_145959.jpg

While I was there I found this little guy and picked him up too. A Beretta PX4 Storm .40S&W
laugh.gif

20121230_150047.jpg

20121230_150135-1.jpg

Re: My new Rem 700 SPS-V .308

Not a bad rifle at all.

When you say "platform" what are you planning on doing? Just stock/trigger or are you planning on truing/bbl etc.

Those are good rifles out of the box other than the stock. The barrel is not free floated.
I have seen one shoot .5moa with just a B&C M40 stock put on with no other tinkering.Shooting 168gr feds.
Hope you got a good one also.

They're good shooters! I've taken mine out to 1000 yards. I ditched the stock right away.

I have an sps varmint also that i picked up a while back. What stock would you all suggest replacing the factory one with? I was looking at a B&C m-40 style but don't really know much about them.

alright honestly the only thing wrong with the stock is the pressure "tang" on the end of it that puts pressure on the barrel... take off the stock.... take a round file and you will see two little stubs...file them smooth with the rest of the stock.... and all of a sudden you have a free floating barrel...

are you a hand loader?

For now im just planning a stock and trigger upgrade. I don't load yet but that's something i hope to get into soon. I hear the 168gr hornady amax are pretty consistant.

Nice rifle. I have had pretty good results with Federal Gold Medal Match 168's as well as a 155gr Hornady offering (TAP maybe?).

Good rifles. Mine shoots 155 and 168 Hornady Amaxs very well, most other match ammo as well. If the stock trigger has issues like mine did replacing is a good idea, some I've read are good out of the box. You may well get MOA or better groups in the factory stock, definitely a decent platform for starting out or limited funds.
Removing the pressure pads from the stock made mine worse, the stock would still contact if there was pressure out towards the end of the forearm and would warp and contact from the sides depending on the sun/temp.
To the guy that asked, B&C stocks are probably about the best option for a limited budget upgrade, unless you get a deal on somthing used, but you're not really giving up much if anything with one, mostly less options, as long as it fits you. M40 looks good, mine wears the "Light Tactical" I have no complaints about it.

Here's my 700 SPSS in 308, H-S Stock, Jewell trigger w/bottom safety.
265705-R1-22-23.jpg

265705-R1-21-22.jpg

This is how it typically shoots out to 300yds with 168AMAXs.
IMG_0583.jpg

This is the best it ever shot at 300yds, 5 shots, 2 in the same hole.
IMG_0446-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suburbanhick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alright honestly the only thing wrong with the stock is the pressure "tang" on the end of it that puts pressure on the barrel... take off the stock.... take a round file and you will see two little stubs...file them smooth with the rest of the stock.... and all of a sudden you have a free floating barrel...

are you a hand loader? </div></div>

I don't recommend filing off the studs in the forearm. I did in a sps 22-250 and accuracy went to complete shit. I ended up bedding the stock and adding epoxy to the barrel channel to stiffen it up than it was better. Those studs are there for a reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suburbanhick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alright honestly the only thing wrong with the stock is the pressure "tang" on the end of it that puts pressure on the barrel... take off the stock.... take a round file and you will see two little stubs...file them smooth with the rest of the stock.... and all of a sudden you have a free floating barrel...

I don't recommend filing off the studs in the forearm. I did in a sps 22-250 and accuracy went to complete shit. I ended up bedding the stock and adding epoxy to the barrel channel to stiffen it up than it was better. Those studs are there for a reason. </div></div>

I dont have any issues with my freefloated H-S stock.

Beef, thanks for the info on the B&C stocks. I will do more looking into them or different model than the m-40 style, i dig the looks of those though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suburbanhick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alright honestly the only thing wrong with the stock is the pressure "tang" on the end of it that puts pressure on the barrel... take off the stock.... take a round file and you will see two little stubs...file them smooth with the rest of the stock.... and all of a sudden you have a free floating barrel...

I don't recommend filing off the studs in the forearm. I did in a sps 22-250 and accuracy went to complete shit. I ended up bedding the stock and adding epoxy to the barrel channel to stiffen it up than it was better. Those studs are there for a reason. </div></div>

i did mine... fiberglass resin and fiberglass mat in the "channels of the forarm.... shot .75 all day with factory ammo

you have started with a good platform. ditch the stock and trigger then buy a good scope.

i have one in a accuracy international stock that shoot's excellent. it like's 155 scenars on lapua brass,fed lrg primer's and 45.5g varget. it is a compressed load with an aol of 2.870.

Nice rifle man, I picked up the same rifle a month ago. I bought it for the same reason a good platform to build your custom rifle. by the time I am done with mine the only thing left on it will be the action. I went with a manners mt4a stock and upgraded the bottom metal as well. If you are wanting to put a mag on your rifle think about that if you are going to upgrade the stock and take that into account. I was going to buy a B & C stock but wanted a badger m5 BDM, well if I went with this stock I would have to stock inlet for the BDM and bedded which was the same money as a Manners that is already inleted for the m5 BDM. Just food for thought. Congrats on the new rifle and enjoy shooting it man!

mine wears an hs precision stock, groups shrunk by half once i ditched the factory stock. mine likes 168 amaxes, and it loves 155gr. amaxes. did these groups with the factory trigger. put a timney in after i shot these groups. just need to quit pulling that oneshot.

for the money these rifles are hard to beat, youll enjoy yours most definitly.

IMG_20121216_173708_399.jpg

IMG_20121216_173721_294.jpg

I'm prowling around for a good deal on one of these guns. It seems to be one of the best starter long range rifles and its got plenty of parts.

I ordered my scope rings and base today. I went with a EGW 20moa elevated base and Burris extreme 1" low rings. I hope there is enough clearance with my Bushnell Elite 10x40 scope. I'm worried that with the elevated base and a heavy barrel that the scope wont clear the barrel.

I paid $617 for mine. I thought it was a good deal. Plus I sent in for a $40 rebate through Remington that expired at the end of 2012, so I made it just in time
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered my scope rings and base today. I went with a EGW 20moa elevated base and Burris extreme 1" low rings. I hope there is enough clearance with my Bushnell Elite 10x40 scope. I'm worried that with the elevated base and a heavy barrel that the scope wont clear the barrel. </div></div>

Ive got TPS 20MOA bases and low TPS rings with a 6-24X44mm Burris Signature on my 700 6mmREM, even that clears the barrel.
IMG_0474-1.jpg

Looks like a great start! Remeber timney triggers, if you decide to swap they are a great deal.

Cabelas has the Rem 700 Sps varmint on sale this month for $499. I just paid $617 at another store, so I feel like crap right now lol

I received my EGW 20moa base and Burris low rings today. The weather was crappy outside but I decided to mount the scope and try her out anyways. I was shooting 1moa with the occasional stray using 168gr amax. I don't like the trigger on this gun. I have adjusted it about as far as it will go and it wont break where I want it to. I think with a better trigger and a free floated stock she will be an excellent shooter.

Here are a couple pictures. I threw on an old bipod for effect. I will be ordering a harris 6-9 soon.

20130110_162803sm2.jpg

20130110_162815sm.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cabelas has the Rem 700 Sps varmint on sale this month for $499. I just paid $617 at another store, so I feel like crap right now lol </div></div>

Thats where I got my SPSS, think it was $529 with a 50 buck rebate, not to mention a free Plano case.

What would be a good replacement stock for around $250-$350? Im also going to buy a timney trigger. Ive seen some really nice stocks for 400-500ish but thats pushing my budget. Ive been eyeballing the 700P HS stock and its around $340, but if I can get something with good performance for cheaper than im all for it. I appreciate the help
smile.gif

r700profile2sm.png

The B%C M40 stock would be a good choice
you could pick up a used H-S PSS stock or Varmint stock as well.
Good luck

The B&C Light Tactical and M40-Style stocks are really good stocks that fall right in your price range. I used to have a Light Tactical and currently have a M40-Style stock both of which were very comfortable. For about the same amount, $250 or so, you can pick up a take off HS Precision stock from a 5R or 700P and it will serve you well also. The only thing that I don't like about the 700P and 5R stocks is the large palm swell, a sentiment shared by many I think. You could also look at the Greybull Precision Hunting Stock that looks like is made by B&C but has a similar profile as the McMillan A3. It will handle up to a Remington Sendero Contour, which is no problem for your barrel contour, but it is at the upper end of your budget.

In regards to the trigger, I agree the X Mark Pro leaves a lot to be desired and I swapped mine out for an old-style Remington trigger. Before I did though I played with the two trigger adjustments screws, the one in the front and the one going through the trigger shoe. I did manage to get it to break pretty consistently at about 3# which was a vast improvement over the 5+ pounds I started with. You could try that until you can upgrade triggers, just be sure to function test it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would be a good replacement stock for around $250-$350? Im also going to buy a timney trigger. Ive seen some really nice stocks for 400-500ish but thats pushing my budget. Ive been eyeballing the 700P HS stock and its around $340, but if I can get something with good performance for cheaper than im all for it. I appreciate the help
smile.gif

r700profile2sm.png
</div></div>

I can sell you the H-S on my SPSS? TOP
3086mmREM.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strike33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The B%C M40 stock would be a good choice
you could pick up a used H-S PSS stock or Varmint stock as well.
Good luck </div></div>

This. I quickly replaced mine with the M40 Medalist and love it. Big upgrade over the factory stock. Easy drop in.

Charlie

KH,
It depends on what you plan to do with your rifle. The Remington is very popular because you can do so many things to it, upgrades and changes. Put your Varmint in the stock above and you basically have a 700P. Many stocks are to be had here on the hide. This is where I purchased most of mine.

Do you plan to keep your rifle at 26" or cut to 18", 20", 22" ?

Target only, steel and paper, hunt, prone competition?

For longer barrels the HS PSS stock and the B&C are a bit longer so your bipod will be further out for better leverage. The B&C has a higher comb, but I find the HS stock to be more comfortable shooting offhand. Just the way it fits into my shoulder pocket.

If you plan to chop your barrel and hunt with the rifle, the HS LTR take-off stock is an excellent choice. It is light and shorter, perfect for a 20" barrel. My SPS tactical with scope is only 9.5 lbs in the LTR.

Of course there are always the McMillan and the Manners stocks, if your budget allows then these would be the number one choice in stocks. Manners has a new line coming out that is very light.

You wont go wrong with either the B&C or HS, as what you pay in the secondary market, is about what you get on resale. Most take-off stocks are generally in your price range. Personally, I have both the B&C and the HS LTR and the HS is my favorite.