• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My next (not custom) hunting rifle! Decisions decisions

Bridges90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Ashland, KY
Hello

I am currently in the market for a new bolt action hunting rifle. I have done a lot of searching and looking at reviews online and am down to choosing between the bergara b14 Hunter vs the Winchester XPR. .308 caliber is my choice. I’ve read good reviews about both and both have things I like and dislike.

Bergara barrels are said to be amazing for accuracy. The b14 is also a 700 clone so parts would be easier to find if need be. Good hunting capacity of 4+1 with a trapdoor magazine (would prefer a detachable box but a trap door would be fine. The stock I’m going to assume is like any other synthetic stock, has some flex, not very rigid. The safety is something that worries me as I have only used tang safeties on hunting rifles and feel the safety on the bergara could be accidentally thrown to fire when walking through brush. The bolt throw is also 90 degrees which is fine but I feel that cuts down on a fast follow up shot if need be. The trigger is excellent as I have felt it myself.

The xpr also comes from a great company and has some attractive features. 60 degree bolt throw, detachable box magazine (although it only holds 3 rounds and is not flush to the stock), a better safety switch in my mind as it doesn’t protrude as much from the stock as the bergara does. Free floated barrel. The aftermarket for the xpr seems to be very limited as I have found very little on it. Typical synthetic stock. I’ve heard the MOA Trigger system is nice but I have not felt one myself.

Both seem to be accurate and reliable from what sources I have read but I am torn between the two. Any experiences you guys have had with either would be awesome

Last edited:
I won't carry a rifle with a safety like the 700 with one in the chamber in field conditions. Either a 3 way like Ruger, Winchester, AI or the AR style is much better in my opinion carrrying a rifle “hot” in hunting conditions. I really like the Blaser R8 cocking system for carrying chambered safely. More $$ than some but great hunting rifles and this is a deal @ Euro: https://www.eurooptic.com/r8-professional-off-road-complete-rifle.aspx

I have been eyeballing the Browning Hell’s canyon speed.
For a factory hunting rifle it appears to check all of the boxes. I have also heard that they shoot great.

Saw a brand-new Bergara exactly like what you're looking at. Buyer got it before the shop guy could take it out of the box to put it on the shelf. Buyer got a picatinny mount, and mounted a spare scope right there. He put some shots through it after bore-sighting, and the first two were almost touching. The third shot was about 3/4" out - well under 1" for the three, and that was out of the box. I got to check it out, and quality is outstanding. If you can find one, get it. As I was walking out of the shop, another buyer was walking in, and he was looking for something like the Bergara. I advised him that they had only one other, and he should get it right away. He looked at it, and went home to think about it. The shop guy told me the next guy in the door after him bought it. So, two Bergara's in the shop, both sold before they could tag them to put them on the shelf, and they are everything you could want.

Saw a brand-new Bergara exactly like what you're looking at. Buyer got it before the shop guy could take it out of the box to put it on the shelf. Buyer got a picatinny mount, and mounted a spare scope right there. He put some shots through it after bore-sighting, and the first two were almost touching. The third shot was about 3/4" out - well under 1" for the three, and that was out of the box. I got to check it out, and quality is outstanding. If you can find one, get it. As I was walking out of the shop, another buyer was walking in, and he was looking for something like the Bergara. I advised him that they had only one other, and he should get it right away. He looked at it, and went home to think about it. The shop guy told me the next guy in the door after him bought it. So, two Bergara's in the shop, both sold before they could tag them to put them on the shelf, and they are everything you could want.

I've got a tikka 30-06 and a 7RM, both did the same thing shooting winchester hunting ammo at 100 yards. Last time I looked Eurooptic still had t3's clearance priced.

I bought a Tikka T3x stainless in 243 win from Whittakers for under $600. And it shoots amazing, just like my other Tikkas.

Ended up going with the bergara b14 Hunter. Handled the bergara and the xpr and the bergara just felt a lot better quality. No polymer anything. The safety isn’t what I prefer but I saw it as people have been hunting with 700 actions for years and the safety doesn’t seem to be a prominent problem. Hope I chose right . It’s on layaway right now but I’ll get it soon! Thank you guys!

Not favoring any specific rifle,, My preference is a bolt safety to one that disables the trigger,
Just feels more mechanically sound of a design. I especially prefer the 3 position safeties that
allow opening the bolt without releasing the safety.. Just me. Everybody has a preference..

Ended up going with the bergara b14 Hunter. Handled the bergara and the xpr and the bergara just felt a lot better quality. No polymer anything. The safety isn’t what I prefer but I saw it as people have been hunting with 700 actions for years and the safety doesn’t seem to be a prominent problem. Hope I chose right . It’s on layaway right now but I’ll get it soon! Thank you guys!

Hi, I am in exact same spot.
I decided I want .308, but I am torn between B14 and XPR.
I am also confused in difference between Sporter and Hunter B14 - is it only the stock? Does it worth extra money?
What is your experience after two and a half years?