• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My one of a kind long range rig.

Re: My one of a kind long range rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wigglesdabum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0642.jpg

Hello all, So I chased a dream when it came to what I wanted in a 7.62x54r long range weapon. I did the build that some attempted a while back with the Uk-59 medium machine gun barrels that were machined to fit a mosin nagant receiver. Long story short I ended up with a heavy barrel chrome lined mosin nagant. I had a timney trigger put in it( can be adjusted to 1lb), glass bed the stock and bedded the scope mount, free floated barrel, pillared the receiver, trued the bolt face and receiver face, re-crowned, flash suppressor, and a cheek rest. I haven’t gotten a chance to fire it myself but the gunsmith who did the work reported 1 MOA with white box Winchester ammo. Once I work up a hand load I can be below 1 MOA I believe. I also have one question but I wanted to show off the rifle first.

My question is how can I get the ballistics for a weapon that is so unique? I want a good chart but I don’t think that the standard information applies to all this. I had this rig built so I could learn about the science of long range marksmanship with cheaper ammunition so I am not at all a know it all. I would appreciate any information you guys have on this. </div></div>
Keep us updated as to how this project shoots for you. Glad I sold all my 7.62x54R stuff. Otherwise I'd be wanting to build one of these!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wigglesdabum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0642.jpg

Hello all, So I chased a dream when it came to what I wanted in a 7.62x54r long range weapon. I did the build that some attempted a while back with the Uk-59 medium machine gun barrels that were machined to fit a mosin nagant receiver. Long story short I ended up with a heavy barrel chrome lined mosin nagant. I had a timney trigger put in it( can be adjusted to 1lb), glass bed the stock and bedded the scope mount, free floated barrel, pillared the receiver, trued the bolt face and receiver face, re-crowned, flash suppressor, and a cheek rest. I haven’t gotten a chance to fire it myself but the gunsmith who did the work reported 1 MOA with white box Winchester ammo. Once I work up a hand load I can be below 1 MOA I believe. I also have one question but I wanted to show off the rifle first.

My question is how can I get the ballistics for a weapon that is so unique? I want a good chart but I don’t think that the standard information applies to all this. I had this rig built so I could learn about the science of long range marksmanship with cheaper ammunition so I am not at all a know it all. I would appreciate any information you guys have on this. </div></div>
Keep us updated as to how this project shoots for you. Glad I sold all my 7.62x54R stuff. Otherwise I'd be wanting to build one of these! </div></div>

Will do, right now I am working on a ladder test for it and after I figure that out I should be settling in on a load for it.

I don't know if any mosins come stripped of cosmoline, but if you shoot the rifle without fully cleaning it out it will gum up and solidify, locking the gun up. Stuff gets everywhere you really need to soak it in citrol or some degreaser to get it all out of the metal.

There are people that hold that all mil-surps are somehow sacrosanct. I hold that all mil-surps are great raw material.

Also, I wish I could +REP you, that thing is awesome!

I had an idea for a nagant dbm that I haven't gotten to play with yet. A while back some folks were converting SMLE's over to 7.62x54r before they figured out that the action ain't even close to being strong enough to take that over the long term. But anyway, an SMLE mag is I believe a single stack and already built for a rimmed cartridge. It might be possible to hack up the nagant bottom metal to work with one. New stock required of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jarhead_h</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are people that hold that all mil-surps are somehow sacrosanct. I hold that all mil-surps are great raw material.

Also, I wish I could +REP you, that thing is awesome!

I had an idea for a nagant dbm that I haven't gotten to play with yet. A while back some folks were converting SMLE's over to 7.62x54r before they figured out that the action ain't even close to being strong enough to take that over the long term. But anyway, an SMLE mag is I believe a single stack and already built for a rimmed cartridge. It might be possible to hack up the nagant bottom metal to work with one. New stock required of course. </div></div>

Hey thanks for the feedback. Well I found a machine gun magazine that will work, called a Lahti-Sorlanta magazine. I am going to work on it some more this summer. It is chambered in 7.62x54r , and goes from double stack to single. I dont think I will put it on this rifle but I may just buy another mosin to mess around with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wigglesdabum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0642.jpg

Any updates you can share with us?

Hey sorry it took me so long to respond to you ranger1183. I have been crazy busy with school and thing are winding down so I finally remembered to get on here.

Ive had some issues with the stock currently. Since the scope mount is so high and the sock is so low I have had to use a really high cheek rest. I also installed an adjustable butt pad so that it makes it alittle more comfortable for me. I am considering having a custom stock and custom stop mount mad that can possibly mount lower.

P1010012.jpg

That is the rifle with the adjustable stock on it. And also in keeping with the ghetto nature of this rifle I sewed my own scope cover out of a duffel bag and isomats and some left over buckles from the suck. Using dental floss as string of course haha. Hope yall dont bust my balls to bad on that one. I like it though because it already had a handle and a pouch on it.

20121010_213800.jpg

Never met a MN that I did not like. I would have to say that your rifle is at the top of the like list.

When and if you do shoot any more corrosive mil surp ammo, just give the bolt face, bore and anything else you want a couple of good shots of windex before leaving the range.

I was psyched with your rifle and enthusiasm right up until you turned your rifle into a purse.

Enjoy! Great project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpr260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was psyched with your rifle and enthusiasm right up until you turned your rifle into a purse.

Enjoy! Great project. </div></div>

Haha well played sir. The only reason I made that thing was because I dont feel like spending a fuck ton on a case that is long enough for it.

This is a truly great project. Wish it was mine.

Have you looked at lowering the scope closer to the rifle? Shorter rings perhaps? Anyway that scope mount can be lowered and not interfere with action function and brass ejection? Stellar rifle nonetheless.

That's the main issue with lowering the scope mount. The bolt used to be a straight handle, which of course, meant that I had to have the bolt bent. Which leaves a little excess metal on top of the bolt. I need to have the mount high enough to pass under it. The rings could be lower however. I have been looking into getting some better low profile scope rings.

It might just be worth it in the end to have the bolt redone again to make it even lower. I will have to look into that.