• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My project on RocketHub

godofthunder

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2013
Nebraska
www.rustynutsdesigns.com
Hey guys, thought I would post my project up on here. If this isn't kosher I can take it down, just let me know.

Those of you that are also on 68forums may have seen these already, maybe not. I'll give you all a quick rundown of what it is, and how it works.

A little over a year ago I set out to make a low profile brass catcher. Main uses would be hunting and range trips. Those of you that reload know how annoying it can be to pick up all your brass after a range trip, or digging for it out in the bush when you're hunting. I shoot my 6.8 more than anything else and save all of my brass. While the price is coming down, it's no where near as cheap as 5.56 brass. I wanted something that was low profile, easy to put on and off, and could hold at least 30 rounds. After some brainstorming and messing around with stuff I came up with a design, which can be seen below.

There are already a few of these in circulation, and reviews can be found on the 68forum. I will post a link when I can so that people do'nt have to search for it, and maybe some of the people that already have one will post up their review here.

Up until this point all of my mounts have been hand made. This leaves great variation between each one, none are the exact same. My goal is to mass produce these brass catchers, and doing so there is NO way I'll be able to hand make all of the mounts. What will I do? I'm going to get an injection mold made! The problem: molds are very expensive! (At least for me it is.) The solution: put my project on RocketHub and expose it to the nation!

If I can get my project funded I will be able to produce a high quality product that is the exact same, every time! I'll be able to hopefully distribute my product across the nation to be sold in gun stores nation wide. If you wouldn't mind taking a minute and at least checking it out, that would be greatly appreciated!

Click here to check it out!

I should add, this can also be used on the large frame ARs to catch brass. It will also work with a magpul hanguard with a rail section added at 12 o'clock as close to the receiver as you can get it.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Video of a prototype in use.

Here is a screenshot of the solidworks drawing that will be used for the mold.

Last edited:
Nice work, good luck with sales. How many rounds will it catch?

Great work, I'm always amazed at the inventiveness of some of the members here, Best of luck to you in your endeavor!

How does this differ from the Caldwell product already on the market? I am not familiar with those but I know they exist, not trolling you here.

How does this differ from the Caldwell product already on the market? I am not familiar with those but I know they exist, not trolling you here.

There are a couple Caldwell ones. The cheap one simply velcros around the forearm of your rifle and has a wire to open the mesh around the ejection port. The mesh had been known to melt, it lays flat against the rifle which it's known to cause FTEs, and it isn't very secure and can wobble easily. The more expensive Caldwell one has a mount that you screw on to the top rail. A mesh bag (still will melt) with wire supports brings it out away from the receiver. One can easily remove the bag, but not the mount. Extra mounts for more rifles cost nearly as much as the entire unit.

Mine simply snaps on and off making it easy to use on all your ARs without the need for extra mounts. The mount doesn't wobble and cause ejection issues with your rifle. It also has a more heat resistant and durable bag.

Next question, How much?

Ok I joined this forum just to reply to this thread, first very nice work. Second can you make one of these to fit my bullpup?
2a81c0e57718f504dcaadc9975c72ac5.jpg

I've noticed on another forum my thread about this was deleted without my knowledge and for no explanation. If a moderator here sees this and I am in violation of something, would you please let me know? Thanks.

I've noticed on another forum my thread about this was deleted without my knowledge and for no explanation. If a moderator here sees this and I am in violation of something, would you please let me know? Thanks.

I think you will be ok here, the mods are pretty tolerant. You just told of of a nice project you were working on. We asked and you gave a price. If it goes much beyond that you might want to talk to management about advertising. MY .02. and good luck with it, let us know when it hits production.

Very nice. I've been looking at the tactical brass catcher but their price is hard to swallow.

Also have you tried this with any side charge uppers yet? Lately I've been using Cross hills Tech side chargers and most brass catchers won't work with it.

Last edited:
Very nice. I've been looking at the tactical brass catcher but their price is hard to swallow.

Also have you tried this with any side charge uppers yet? Lately I've been using Cross hills Tech side chargers and most brass catchers won't work with it.

I just took a look online at Cross Hills side charger. If you used the charger on the left side of the receiver, and not the right, then it should work. However, without a dust cover to hold the bag to the receiver you will have cases drop between the receiver and bag occasionally. So in short, yes it will work but just not as effectively.

That's a great idea especially for semi shooters that don't shoot std mil rounds.

Very cool idea. I will def pick one up down the road.

Another idea might be to make it adaptable to bolt rifles. The rail attachment is great, just make the geometry so an ejected bolt round would fall down the chute.

Just submitted $100 for this project. Good luck and I hope this takes off. I'd really like to have these in the near future.

My project on RocketHub

Like the idea - just donated. Good luck.

Thanks!

30 days left. I am going to get some video of it in use during rapid fire, as I have had a few requests for it. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend to do that, otherwise it will be next weekend.

Thank you everyone that has supported me thus far, it is greatly appreciated!