• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

my project rifle's progress

bryan308ftw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2010
Started with simple platform the stevens 200 in cal 308.

nakedgun-1.jpg

savfromthefront.jpg

threw on a bi pod and the gun shot great. the only issue i found with the 200 was the god awful stock. The stock on a gamo gun feels better in comparison. It was extremely flimsy, the stock can easily be warped with a minor adj of your hand, especially when shooting with a bi pod.

I was just able to install my new stock today. my first impressions were great i have not been able to take it to range yet but the rifle feels great. Installation was simple, everything fit flush. i ordered the stock online from stockystocks, the service was incredible, i shipped ground and it was here the next day. (may have something to do with the fact that they are 35 miles away)
IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

i look forward to trying it out at the range,im hoping for less recoil with this stock. the recoil was not friendly with the factory stock.

any suggestions as to what the next possible mod can be? a better scope is on the list (im using a bushnell 6x18x50mm) its not bad but id prefer a tac scope over a hunting scope for this rifle. I do not plan on buying a new trigger, a minor adj and the trigger pull is smooth.

Re: my project rifle's progress

Get a Super Sniper, a 20MOA base and reloading equipment. Then save up for a barrel. That's the route I'm taking and I'm enjoying every min. of it. BTW your rifle looks pretty close to mine
wink.gif

And the sig is with my 6-24x50 vortex that is now on my brother's 7mm-08 Stevens.

Good Luck,
Merritt

wow, these stocks are popping up all over! I just installed on on my 700, I haven't been able to get to the range yet but just like you said it feels solid. For me it also solved some lop issues vs my original stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Super Sniper, a 20MOA base and reloading equipment. Then save up for a barrel. That's the route I'm taking and I'm enjoying every min. of it. BTW your rifle looks pretty close to mine
wink.gif

And the sig is with my 6-24x50 vortex that is now on my brother's 7mm-08 Stevens.

Good Luck,
Merritt</div></div>

its an amazing stock. i bet you poi10x's remington 700 looks just like our stevens 200 lol. and as for reloading trust me dude been on that since before i was born.

and ya man i was looking at the vortex. most likely will order from sharpshoopsupply if i get one theyr really cheap for a nice tac scope. I was able to use the super snipe scope on my buddies armalite 308, damn good scope. prob end up with that in the future, but i think im gona get the vortex for some other rifles i have i really like it.

I just snagged a SSS tactical bolt handle and a Rifle Basix trigger for $80 delivered!!

Now I can't hardly wait until my rifle gets here and I have the barrel cut to 20" and a target crown added!!

DK

That is exactly what I started out with for a project gun.Rather than buy another stock though I just modified the one that came with it. If your barrel shoots as well as mine did you will be pleased. The sporter weight barrel heats up pretty fast though. It gets very warm to the touch after 3 shots. I bought a varmint contour 223 barrel a couple weeks ago and have a varmint contour 308 barrel on the way. Its so easy to swap barrels and bolt faces to, I'm very happy I started with a savage platform for my build because now I have a nice varmint gun and a gun I can reach out to 1000 yards with.

IMO your next upgrade should be another barrel. Factory varmint contour savage barrels can be had pretty cheap if you keep your eye out for one. They normally shoot pretty well to. All you need to change barrels is a barrel nut wrench(40$), a headspace go gauge(20$) and some means of clamping the barrel or action in a vise. I just use a 2x4 with a hole cut in it then cut in half to grip the barrel in a bench vise.

I would recommend against getting one of the cheap Vortex Crossfires with target turrets. I had 4 of them and had the same problem with each one and there is another guy on the board having the same problem. The glass was very nice for the money but it wasn't worth the headaches. Go with at least something in the Diamondback line or a Viper if your looking at Vortex.

true, i will most likely end up witha super sniper in the next couple of months, and put a vortex or my old bushnell on one of my xtra hunting rifles. I'm looking for a m70 30-06 (60s esque.) and id love a hole puncher (22mag lr or 223).