• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My Results of Barnes TSX on Feral Hogs

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    This wasn't designed to be a 30 minute feature, but rather a super quick overview of the hogs I shot after loading a box of Barnes 120gr TAC-X for my Grendel.

I was pleasantly surprised with the results I had on large hogs at modest velocities.

Grendel sure is a nice little round ain't it? I'll be looking for some whitetails this weekend with mine....

Reactions: diggler1833
    Mind sharing load data? I've been running a 300blk with a thermal for hogs for years now but the performance I've gotten out of my Grendel on deer has me wanting to switch it up.

Mind sharing load data? I've been running a 300blk with a thermal for hogs for years now but the performance I've gotten out of my Grendel on deer has me wanting to switch it up.

Yeah, not a problem. 28.5gr AA2520 at 2.257" COL with a CCI 450 primer. Zero pressure signs, so I'd consider it a starting point. However the AA2520 is pretty stinking temperature sensitive, so be careful if using this powder.

I've got 8lbs of 8208 XBR, and will probably do a little load development in the later part of this winter when I switch back to the .308 for hogs.

I’ve been using the xbr with good results. I will say, strangely enough that 40 degrees and below my groups open up a fair bit. Never really dealt with a load that did that in cold weather like I have in hot weather

I’ve been using the xbr with good results. I will say, strangely enough that 40 degrees and below my groups open up a fair bit. Never really dealt with a load that did that in cold weather like I have in hot weather

That is a bit odd as that powder is supposed to be pretty temp stable. I guess you might be on the edge of a node during warm weather. I haven't experienced any degradation of accuracy with the AA2520 in different temps, but during my one and only initial load development it shot just as well at 27.3gr as it did 28.5gr. POI for my barrel has changed no more than 1" at 100yds for every bullet I've put through it too. I got really lucky with this one.

That is a bit odd as that powder is supposed to be pretty temp stable. I guess you might be on the edge of a node during warm weather. I haven't experienced any degradation of accuracy with the AA2520 in different temps, but during my one and only initial load development it shot just as well at 27.3gr as it did 28.5gr. POI for my barrel has changed no more than 1" at 100yds for every bullet I've put through it too. I got really lucky with this one.

I'm sure you're right. I've been slammed with work so I haven't had the opportunity to play around with it lately. I expect I can get it to settle in with a little more work.

Reactions: diggler1833