• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My review of the JP 6.5 Grendel

Re: My review of the JP 6.5 Grendel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Your mistake was to think that I care about a caliber discussion. Quite the contrary, I was pointing out that the data you based the premise of your arguments (the 6.5G is superior long range cartridge to the .308 and that the 6.8 suffers from "poor long range performance") is at best flawed. I have not found one load in which the 6.5G drives a 123gr Scenar to 2750fps---it just doesn't exist and saying it does is misleading. I know I would be disappointed if I bought a 6.5G because I though it could replicate 6.5X47 velocities, just to find out it falls well (~200fps) short. Second you said the 6.8 is a poor performer at "long range", despite the fact you never adopted the cartridge, and the fact that many people have driven it to 800+ yards with good success using 16-18" barrels (even though it's not what it was designed for). So what I see is that you've keyed in on data that is wrong and used it to prove a point; then when I pointed out your data was wrong and analysis flawed your rebuttal was to get upset and claim that I was starting a "caliber war"... The fact is I like the 6.5G for what it is and think it is a cool little AR15 cartridge, I just don't like it when people tout garbage data as fact. I'll let you have the final word as I'm done with this thread. </div></div>

I never said the 6.5 was a superior cartridge to the .308, and a quick forum search of your name and "6.8" tells me all I need to know.

I will no longer respond to your jihad.. er um, I mean posts.

luv it when wildcats become "std" loads--as more discover the Grendel and what can be done with it--currently my FAV caliber in std AR15 platform--in 14.5", 18", and 24"---want to try a 6mm
or 300BLK next--if it does not fit in a std AR15 platform I vote for the bolt gun--(JP chassis going into current build)
the AR15 receiver in a slickside upper balances perfectly in the hand like the venerable lever-actions--just plain handy for hunting and carrying (current uppers include22LR, 204, 556, 6.5Grendel, 450Bushmaster in various barrel lengths)

forgot to mention the WSSM rounds if someone wants to compare velocities and such in the AR15 platform---I would love to acquire an upper in 1 of these calibers also

The 6.5 Grendel is now a SAAMI approved caliber. Also, AA has relinquished the trademark, so now others can build and call their rifles Grendels.
Wolf is to coming out with new ammo and hopefully other manufacturers will, too.

I have a 20" AA Hunter that I have chronographed loads in. I don't rely on charts except as a reference.
120 SMK, 30.2 grains AA2520 gets me 2602 fps. I am working with the 123 SMK and the 123 AMAX, but am not satisfied with the grouping yet, so I have not chronographed loads yet. I am more about accuracy than how fast I can push a bullet downrange.

The G is a great caliber rifle and when you consider my 16" AA rifle for deer hunting only weighs about 6.5 pounds, it's very easy to pack around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5 Grendel is now a SAAMI approved caliber. Also, AA has relinquished the trademark, so now others can build and call their rifles Grendels.
Wolf is to coming out with new ammo and hopefully other manufacturers will, too.

I have a 20" AA Hunter that I have chronographed loads in. I don't rely on charts except as a reference.
120 SMK, 30.2 grains AA2520 gets me 2602 fps. I am working with the 123 SMK and the 123 AMAX, but am not satisfied with the grouping yet, so I have not chronographed loads yet. I am more about accuracy than how fast I can push a bullet downrange.

The G is a great caliber rifle and when you consider my 16" AA rifle for deer hunting only weighs about 6.5 pounds, it's very easy to pack around.</div></div>

Thanks for the info.
So with a 26" BBL, I wonder if 2700FPS is possible?

Let me know, if you can remember, what the 123 aMAX does.. please.

130 JLKs, Rem 700, I find best accuracy at 2625. I can get bit over 2700 fps but accuracy is unacceptable and hard on brass.

Reamer ground with my specs on freebore, 2.485" OAL with the 130 JLK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">130 JLKs, Rem 700, I find best accuracy at 2625. I can get bit over 2700 fps but accuracy is unacceptable and hard on brass.

Reamer ground with my specs on freebore, 2.485" OAL with the 130 JLK.</div></div>

Thanks for the info. What kind of brass and powder/primers are you using?
What length BBL was it again, twist, and # of lands/grooves also.. just out of curiosity.

thank you for this review. soundss like a great cartride!
smile.gif

Thanks garey... it's a fun lil' SOB for sure. I'm actually going downstairs right now to swap over the Millet LRS-1 to a Leupy MK4 and put a new trigger in if the sleep gremlins dont attack.

Weight wise there is not much difference between my DPMS 260 Reminton with 24" barrel and my Les Baer 6.5 Grendel upper mated to a RRA match grade lower.

Using 123 grain A maxes or 123 grain Sierra HPBT yields near 2600 ft/sec in my Grendel

Broughton 5C, 8 twist, I'll have to measure barrel when I get home but is either 24 or 26"

Lapua headstamp brass (AA is same), BR4, 130 JLKs 0.025" off lands and 8208.

just finished up testing some handloads with the 123 SMK. Using wc846 at 28.6 grains in ppi large primer cases got and average 2623ftps and a .3" 4 shot group. 5th shot was a flyer and measured .76" with the flyer.

Not the greatest powder, and aa2520 is soposed to yield better volicity. Im going to try that next.

This is out of a aa 24" barrel.

I have an AA barreled AR also. Started life as 28" upper from AA, I had barrel cut to 21" and modified gas block so I could turn down the gas a bit.

120 Berger Match BTs, AA2520, AA headstamped brass, and BR4s ran very accurately at 2600 fps using 30.3gr of powder in the AR.
8208 at 28.2gr runs best at 2550 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PolishHandgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weight wise there is not much difference between my DPMS 260 Reminton with 24" barrel and my Les Baer 6.5 Grendel upper mated to a RRA match grade lower.

Using 123 grain A maxes or 123 grain Sierra HPBT yields near 2600 ft/sec in my Grendel</div></div>

Thanks for the info. I'm considering a 6.5CM DPMS, as they are one of the more consistently accurate AR's out there.

BTW, what size jag do I need for cleaning, seems like my .270 one is too big, surprisingly?

a 6.5 jag...of course. Or .264 in inches.

From what I hear the Wolf Gold is OK if you get the 120 gr MPT.
Dont expect sub MOA.
The 123 gr stuff sucks hind tit. 2+ MOA.

I've had such good luck out of this 123 A-max ammo that I'd probably only see myself stepping up the the scenar pill from here. That being said I've had great luck with the 75grn wolf gold line .223 jhp.

Got some more play-time with this upper today. Wind's relatively calm around 51 degrees and we got to see her reach out to 1000 yards.

Very high giggle factor with this rig. 32MOA holding R edge resulted in dead center mass 1st round engagements for 3 of us.

Cant ask for more than that running on a standard re-purposed AR-15 lower and some off-the-shelf ammo.