• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Second Forster Die Crapped Out!!

jakhamr81

Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
FT Smith, Ar
So the wife and kids are gone for the afternoon. I just got a case of 220SMKs in and was planning on knocking out a few hundred rounds of 300blk this afternoon... WRONG!! My second Forster die just shit the bed!!
mad.gif

I've already had to send my Forster 300blk sizing die back because it was out of spec. Now my seating die appears to have shit the bed on me. The die chamber is no longer spring loaded and does not return to the out position, also the bullet seating stem is all the way in and I have no more adjustment left.

Anybody else have these kind of problems with Forster dies?

IMG_20110605_124259.jpg

IMG_20110605_124314.jpg

IMG_20110605_124333.jpg

Re: My Second Forster Crapped Out!!

I use a forester seater.... they should be dissasenbled and cleaned regularly.Looks to me like the sliding member is stuck in too far.....take apart,clean,hone burrs if needed,oil reassemble.
omho
bill larson

I took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly, lubed it, and still the same thing. The stem appears to be getting stuck on the die chamber. This is as far as I can get it in the chamber before it gets hung up.

IMG_20110605_131846.jpg

I don't see any reason for it to get locked up so short.

Try not jamming the spring loaded guide sleeve so far up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try not jamming the spring loaded guide sleeve so far up. </div></div>
Good point!

Could be setting it up in the press incorrectly.
I use a few Forster dies and only had one issue. A neck sized case stuck in the sleeve on my seater die. Sent the die to Forster and they took care of everything at no cost.

It is not set up in the press improperly. Even out of the press the die chamber does not freely move. If I try to insert the stem any less into the die chamber that leaves me with NO adjustment.

I'll call up Forster tomorrow and send this one back to them too. In the meantime I'm just going to order a Redding.

Was not trying to be a prick about the set up. I have been guilty of thinking I knew something I didn't and not pay attention to instructions.
When my 338LM seater gave out I got a cheap RCBS for a temp fix.
I sent a couple of pcs of 338LM brass in with the broken seater and they custom fit the sleeve. No problems after that.
But Redding makes the best overall. Just very expensive!
Good luck!

I have had the seating stem flair out and cause the sleeve to stick. Some light sanding and the thing is back working fine. I only use a dry lube on my dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on the placement of the lock ring it appears you have the die set up incorrectly and have damaged the die.</div></div>

No, the lock ring is just on there, that is not the position I had it set up in the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had the seating stem flair out and cause the sleeve to stick. Some light sanding and the thing is back working fine. I only use a dry lube on my dies.</div></div>

This sounds like the problem I may be having, I will give it a try thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the meantime I'm just going to order a Redding. </div></div>

Good call, I switched and never looked back.

If you order a Redding Die you are basically buying the same die. Just paying more for it. Redding designed their die to be just like the Forster. Only more expensive. You may have gotten a bad Forster. And if you want to spend more money then go ahead. But you will be getting basically the same thing. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The die chamber is no longer spring loaded and does not return to the out position, also the bullet seating stem is all the way in and I have no more adjustment left.
</div></div>

why would you have the bullet seating stem all the way in AND the spring totally compressed? When you set up the die, do you have your press positioned with handle down or up? It should be set up so that the case goes up into the die and the shell holder compresses the spring slightly just before or as the bullet begins to seat. If you have the die set too low you'll jam the spring. If you have it set too high you will need to bury the stem all the way in, negating the alignment feature of the chamber. When you set up the die originally did you sand the tip of the stem to match your bullet tip, or did you leave it as is?

Those are the things I would investigate first.

When I set up the die I set it up with the handle up just as the directions state. The chamber and stem are all the way in because some how the end of the stem is catching the inside of the die chamber. The stem does not move smoothly through the chamber. I turned the stem in just enough to get the die chamber out, then pushed the die chamber in as the press would, and it does not return to the out position.

Something is clearly wrong with the stem that is causing it to get hung up on the die die chamber, possibly the end get flared out as hgr suggested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you order a Redding Die you are basically buying the same die. Just paying more for it. Redding designed their die to be just like the Forster. Only more expensive. You may have gotten a bad Forster. And if you want to spend more money then go ahead. But you will be getting basically the same thing. Tom.
</div></div>

You are the only person I have talked to that has made that statement. I looked at Redding's web page, and compared their cutout diagram of their seating die and compared it to that of Forster's. They do not look at all the same to me.

Your 2nd Forester what? The title of your thread is a might misleading...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your 2nd Forester what? The title of your thread is a might misleading...</div></div>

Why? This one makes number two. What's so misleading about that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you order a Redding Die you are basically buying the same die. Just paying more for it. Redding designed their die to be just like the Forster. Only more expensive. You may have gotten a bad Forster. And if you want to spend more money then go ahead. But you will be getting basically the same thing. Tom.
</div></div>

HOGGHEAD,

Take them apart and you will see that you are incorrect. There are significant design details that make the Redding Competition seater more repeatable and durable than the Forster. The only thing the Redding and Forster seater designs have in common is that both seaters use a sliding sleeve to support the case body during seating. Mechanically they are night and day.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your 2nd Forester what? The title of your thread is a might misleading...</div></div>

Why? This one makes number two. What's so misleading about that? </div></div>

I ain't trying to be a smart-ass with you. You did get your question answered, about DIES. When I read the title of your thread, I "automatically" think: 'Forester Bonanaza Press'. Excuse me for being so presumptuous.

YAOG-that is true. However I was not comparing the die to the Redding Competition Die. I was comparing the die in the picture above(not the Forster Competition die) to the standard Redding seater die, with the extremely similar sleeve. I was comparing apples to apples. Not Redding's best against Forster's cheapest. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your 2nd Forester what? The title of your thread is a might misleading...</div></div>

Why? This one makes number two. What's so misleading about that? </div></div>

I ain't trying to be a smart-ass with you. You did get your question answered, about DIES. When I read the title of your thread, I "automatically" think: 'Forester Bonanaza Press'. Excuse me for being so presumptuous.</div></div>

I added the word "Die" to the title to clear up any future confusion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YAOG-that is true. However I was not comparing the die to the Redding Competition Die. I was comparing the die in the picture above(not the Forster Competition die) to the standard Redding seater die, with the extremely similar sleeve. I was comparing apples to apples. Not Redding's best against Forster's cheapest. Tom.
</div></div>

HOGGHEAD,

The Forster seaters internally are identical designs the only differences being minor changes to allow the addition of the micrometer top. In the low-end Redding seater there is no precision reamed and honed sliding die to support the brass case. Additionally entry level Redding seaters also lack the precision sliding double floating ogive bullet seating head in the Redding Comp seater.

Knowing this I thought you were comparing apples to apples which is what I was doing by comparing seater designs with at least some common features. The sliding body die was a SOTA feature Forster invented back in the day. But that day passed upon the introduction of the current Redding Comp seating dies. They are simply the best current seaters on the market in terms of seating performance and long term reliability. Price is another issue of course.

HTH!

YAOG if that is true then I stand corrected. Sorry for my mistake.

From the way I understood the development of the Redding die was that they copied the sleeve function of the Forster die that allowed for better bullet line up and less run out. That was how I understood it to happen. Is that wrong also?? Thanks, Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YAOG if that is true then I stand corrected. Sorry for my mistake.

From the way I understood the development of the Redding die was that they copied the sleeve function of the Forster die that allowed for better bullet line up and less run out. That was how I understood it to happen. Is that wrong also?? Thanks, Tom. </div></div>

HOGGHEAD,

I think Redding must have borrowed the idea of using a precision reamed sliding sleeve to support and locate the brass case in the die from Forster. IMO what Redding did to improve on this idea so much was expand on the Forster sliding sleeve idea. Redding allows the case to center first in the outer sliding sleeve using the case body then uses the now trapped column of air to center the loose bullet in the ogive seating die (which itself is sliding in the outer sliding sleeve of the die) before the seater actually contacts the micrometer's ball bearing contact point and starts to seat the bullet in the case. The outer body sleeve and the inner ogive bullet seating die are allowed to float to center on the case. This arrangment is very different than the Forster design which fixes the bullet seater stem of the die with a long rod attached to the top of the die body or micrometer knob with a long threaded screw. This double floating detail is why the Redding Comp seater's concentricity is so low and why the Redding seating dies actually reduce bullet concentricity relative to the case body. In comparison the Forster seating dies at best can only minimize concentricity errors the seating die introduces. It's pretty slick how Redding did this seating die.

HTH!

Buy a Redding and your troubles will be over and then send me the old Foster seater so I can make a bullet pointing die out of it .

Re: My Second Forster Die Crapped Out!!

Try putting the spring in the right chamber of the die, it happened to me after i had taken my die apart for cleaning, i put the spring for the sleeve pressure on the upper chamber of the die when its supposed to be in the lower part. I actually thought i had lost the spring and ordered another one, and then i took my die completely apart and found it in the wrong place, I felt stupid, but now my die is working properly again!
Elmer

I've used both the redding and the forster. The redding seating stem is much more delicate than the forster. Compressed loads or loads with heavy Neck tension are a no go for the redding. I think the Forster seater stem is a bit stronger and can take the force better. I've never had any mechanical problems with either except I've cracked 3 seating stems on the redding.

Having said that, after using both redding comp seater and forster ultra mic seater, I've now gone with the wilson inline dies for my own reasons.

After going thru 2 Redding repairs, they told me not to use their dies in a progressive press as their seating stems were not hard enough to last that long. Straight from Redding. And ok, but no, I wasn't using their die in a progressive at the time.

I switched to Forrester dies and haven't had a problem since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1lnbrdg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After going thru 2 Redding repairs, they told me not to use their dies in a progressive press as their seating stems were not hard enough to last that long. Straight from Redding. And ok, but no, I wasn't using their die in a progressive at the time.

I switched to Forrester dies and haven't had a problem since. </div></div>

What Redding products did you have repaired?

I've recently been using a Redding Comp seater in my Dillon RL550B with no problems loading well over 1K rounds so far. How exactly did the seating stem in your Redding Comp seater fail? The Redding seating stems are solid blocks of steel with a hole in them for the bullet to sit inside.

Not "hard enough to last that long"? What kind of statement is that? If you loaded 10,000 rounds on a progressive or on a single stage press...what earthly difference would it make? I can't figure that out! I would guess that the person who answered your question doesn't have a clue. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used both the redding and the forster. The redding seating stem is much more delicate than the forster. Compressed loads or loads with heavy Neck tension are a no go for the redding. I think the Forster seater stem is a bit stronger and can take the force better. I've never had any mechanical problems with either except I've cracked 3 seating stems on the redding.

Having said that, after using both redding comp seater and forster ultra mic seater, I've now gone with the wilson inline dies for my own reasons. </div></div>

Which Redding bullet seater stem failed on you? It seems unlikely that the steel bullet seater could break while sitting supported inside the sliding steel case support die. It is more likely the seater was damaged while outside the seating die. I would love to see the photos showing us how it failed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1lnbrdg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After going thru 2 Redding repairs, they told me not to use their dies in a progressive press as their seating stems were not hard enough to last that long. Straight from Redding. And ok, but no, I wasn't using their die in a progressive at the time.

I switched to Forrester dies and haven't had a problem since. </div></div>

What Redding products did you have repaired?

I've recently been using a Redding Comp seater in my Dillon RL550B with no problems loading well over 1K rounds so far. How exactly did the seating stem in your Redding Comp seater fail? The Redding seating stems are solid blocks of steel with a hole in them for the bullet to sit inside.

</div></div>

Even though the seating stem is solid, the end that mates to the bullet is machined at a bevel to form to the nose of the bullet. This part of the seating stem expanded and quit "floating", just hung up in the die.

On their own directions, they state this die is not for use in progressive machines. Go figure . . .

The two redding stems that were broken were a vld stem from redding and a vld stem from sinclairs. I don't have any pictures of them because redding was the one that actually foun the problem. They said I probably wouldn't be able to see the cracks unless I was using magnification.

I was having problems with high runout and when I sent the die back to them they said that the seating stem was cracked. The same thing with the sinclairs seat stem.

Redding Competition Seaters are known to crack, especially when loading bullets over compressed powder charges. Many highpower rifle shooters prefer the original Forster design over what is considered the more fragile Redding.

I cracked a Redding .223 Competition Seating Die seater in a Dillon 550, but that was over 3,000 - 4,000 rounds.