• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My secret to speedy case prep....

Infidel45

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2014
Bristol, VA
Seriously, who knew a 2.5 yr old boy would rather sit in Dad's lap cleaning primer pockets and marking some LC/LR brass than to watch Mickey Mouse or Chip n Dale..

It was the most fun I have had prepping brass so far...until Mommy came home and found little tiny powder residue fingerprints all over the place....ooops.

My kids beg to help me too. I sometimes let my daughter dump the powder. They love hanging out which makes it much better for me

Seriously, who knew a 2.5 yr old boy would rather sit in Dad's lap cleaning primer pockets and marking some LC/LR brass than to watch Mickey Mouse or Chip n Dale..

It was the most fun I have had prepping brass so far...until Mommy came home and found little tiny powder residue fingerprints all over the place....ooops.

Fuck dude...

Lead styphnate (lead 2,4,6-trinitroresorcinate, C6HN3O8Pb ), whose name is derived from styphnic acid, is an explosive used as a component in primer and ...

As with other lead-containing compounds, lead styphnate is inherently toxic to humans if ingested i.e. can cause heavy metal poisoning.

Ton of fun, but maybe find another job for the tike while reloading? Good job getting him interested :)

That's awesome ! I tried getting my son into hand loading .223 (he recently picked up a used Savage FP10) , he was involved for about a month, then realized it takes a fair amount of time, and that there is much more to life then patient hand loading.... for example X Box . Oh well maybe he will be more into it later in life...

Yeah--thanks for the heads-up, but I understand the chemistry and the dangers. The cases had already had the neck chamfered and run through the sonic cleaner for 3 cycles. What I (and he) were doing was getting the last little bit out of the primer pockets with the brush and that cloth baby diaper in the pic (you can see little circles of what was being wiped out of the pockets. He wiped his hands on the rag when we were done and left some finger prints on the stainless fridge door and storm door..

And you can see we are doing all this at the dining room table, not in my basement where all my powder, sharp objects and other un-kid friendly materials are located. And I didn't let him run with scissors either..

Expensive case prep machine but sounds like you got I running good.
Probably will work well till the lil guy gets a good sniff of girls.

That's awesome ! I tried getting my son into hand loading .223 (he recently picked up a used Savage FP10) , he was involved for about a month, then realized it takes a fair amount of time, and that there is much more to life then patient hand loading.... for example X Box . Oh well maybe he will be more into it later in life...

Shoot the Xbox at the next range outting and get him out side or his brain will turn to mush. LOL

Yeah--thanks for the heads-up, but I understand the chemistry and the dangers. The cases had already had the neck chamfered and run through the sonic cleaner for 3 cycles. What I (and he) were doing was getting the last little bit out of the primer pockets with the brush and that cloth baby diaper in the pic (you can see little circles of what was being wiped out of the pockets. He wiped his hands on the rag when we were done and left some finger prints on the stainless fridge door and storm door..

And you can see we are doing all this at the dining room table, not in my basement where all my powder, sharp objects and other un-kid friendly materials are located. And I didn't let him run with scissors either..

Whew...

:)

Reminds me of my boxing device.

IMG_20130719_163215_134_zpsb41f36d0.jpg

Both of our girls used to love to help me crank out 45 rounds for IPSC practice. Then the grand daughter did, (she's now 21 with a 10 month old). The oldest grandson used to like to shoot smallbore with me. But he got side lined with a case of the "fumes". He has discovered gas fumes and per-fumes. Dangerous stuff for a young man and new drivers license. The younger grandson THINKS he wants to learn about guns of any kind. But I'm not sure I trust him just yet. He's 10 years old. That's 4 years older than I was. But he wants to wave it around too much. I'll let him grow up a bit first.

Enjoy them while they are small gents. They'll break your heart when they grow up.
Victor

LOL! Great post. Makes me feel good, to read it. I was feeling a little guilty. When I babysit my 7 yr. old grand daughter, she loves to help run the press. Last time, we did 500 .45 ACPs. I'd put em in and take em out. She was on the lever. WATCH the fingers, though! She goes before I say go,sometimes.

My older Granddaughter Moves into her college dorm this W/E, and she has done well with learning shooting and reloading. Expert at neither yet, but she has a foundation to build upon.

The Grandson suffers from a common malady, being a teenage boy. He likes to shoot, but he's in too much of a hurry to dig in and do it right, or to do the things one needs to do to afford the ammo. This shall pass, but at age 68, it may come later than I can manage.

Our mini Granddaughter, 5 y/o right now, is a saucy little mind boggler. I deal with that by bringing her Dad onboard. A very good hunter, and a busy guy trying to raise a family, it's not all that easy to catch him at a useful time, but persistence will out.

Greg