• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My shop. Making pillars and Bedding block inserts

Re: My shop. Making pillars and Bedding block inserts

Geez Ed, no wonder you walk around like you got a cob up yer arse and are never in a good mood!!!! Lifting and trying to measure all that heavy shit everyday would tend to wear on a gent. Go home everyday and tell the Mrs. about all the big stuff you held all day would make her comments at night of "sure wished I had some big stuff to hold" seem understandable???

Is that the message you were trying to convey or did I miss something?
wink.gif

On a lighter note though it is truely amazing the machines that were/are made and a hats off to the designer/builder and also to the user. Makes chucking a #2 Krieger in the headstock seem somewhat trivial eh?????

Dennis, I know there are alot of guys on this site that drool over large machinery. A customer sent me that link today asking for some of those large pillars. Homer Culver told me that he worked on a machine, during WWII, that turned the OD of the barrel liners for the 16" naval guns. He actually rode in a cage on the carriage.

Ed
Would be interesting to know what tolerances could be held with them size of machines and what would be considered allowable or functional clearances for such things as crank bearings etc???
One would think with the mass etc of the machines that there would be little to no vibration or chatter issues but then again they were built for a comparable size work load and weight of machined part produced probably similar to a smaller machine and work piece.
I would think that adjusting setting for a lite cut would/could actually be harder than on a smaller machine given the mass that a crossfeed screw etc had to move for a lite cut????
The designers/engineers that built the machines of that size really had to correctly figure metal type, mass etc. Never seen a pic of such machines and thank you for posting the link.
Sincerely wish you and family a very Merry Christmas Ed.

Respectfully,
Dennis

got swarf?

Machiningfrwend.jpg

Planingcrshwebs2.jpg

Shapingcrwebs1.jpg

edit: i was noticing no one had eye protection on then i realized, if a stray chip flew up and hit the machinist in his face, his eyes are probably the least of his concerns since it would probably knock him out
grin.gif

A red hot chip to the eye would be the end of that eye. It's not so much the initial injury as it is the fact that red hot chips like to stick to your skin on contact.

It would be a nasty wound.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where'd our America go?

</div></div>

it's sad looking at those pictures knowing damn well we could never tool up like that again in this country.

i guess that's what happens when we want overinflated pay, cheap products and let the environmentalists have far too much control.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where'd our America go?

</div></div>

Right here Chad, in Texas. That's a 120" VBM, about fifty plus years old, we bought it and several others, relocated them here, and rebuilt them as part of the reassembly.
VBM2010.jpg

That's me on the rail, second from the left.

Thanks for posting. As a machinist that was a great read with incredible pics.

Thanks for the pics....

My grandfather built Liberty Ships engines during WW2. Not sure what he did specifically other than he was a machinist, and any one of those pictures could have been him doing his job. He was a widower shortly after my dad left home, and raised the remaining seven children alone, building ships engines and running a small dairy farm too.

I've worked too, in shops like those, albeit different things being produced. Any one of those pictures could have eaily been any one of the shops I've worked in, as much of the interior layout, cranes, machinery and such, is familiar and recognizable. I spent every day for a good while working in the shadow of one of those massive vertical hones, or boring mills, or whatever it was, from the days when that shop built ship boilers.

It's a damn shame we've lost that part of us........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got swarf?

Machiningfrwend.jpg

Planingcrshwebs2.jpg

Shapingcrwebs1.jpg

edit: i was noticing no one had eye protection on then i realized, if a stray chip flew up and hit the machinist in his face, his eyes are probably the least of his concerns since it would probably knock him out
grin.gif
</div></div>

Lol I was thinking the same thing until I noticed the size of the chips... Also Insain to consider that the one cat is pretty much riding on tool holder thingy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got swarf?

Machiningfrwend.jpg

Planingcrshwebs2.jpg

Shapingcrwebs1.jpg

grin.gif
</div></div>

It looks like the guy in the middle picture holding the controller, might have a burn on the left side of his face from a piece of hot swarf.

The middle picture, the guy is taking a roughing and finish pass at the same time.You can see the two tools. Cool stuff

I interviewed with Voith-Siemens Hydro right at the end of grad school. They had some pretty cool stuff going on but I will never forget the job shop.

The machinist that took me for a tour handed me some of the "swarf" and joked that "our chips are bigger than the finished parts that come from most shops".

The 5mx20m lathe was incredible.

I don't know how many noticed, the machine in the second pic is one of the biggest shapers ever!

Not many of those around any more - the old school CNC!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow... </div></div>

Probably looks alot like your shop huh Ray????? Go BIG or Go HOME on your shingle out front
wink.gif

Old machinist gent in town here who came down with alzheimers sold out here about 4yrs back. His last 20+ yrs he worked exclusively for Wheeler Manufacturing, a big agate jewelry and later gold and silver jewelry maker. He built many of there rock polishers, cutters etc. Anyhoo he had a smaller horizontal planer which I guess was the only horse in town prior to surface grinders???? It used a toolholder that looked like one used in a lantern toolpost on a lathe. Looked like a somewhat slow process to making something thinner? I am sure damn side faster than a file or emery cloth though.

thanks for posting this up! I love these photos- machinery, tooling, and repair has been my family's business for generations-I can smell old coolant right now!

Very impressive to say the least,
It's hard to imagine that just a bit over half a century ago where this country in terms of building ,fabricating and machining was.
America as we know it was on top of the world,we made everything here.
It's sad to see how we are slowly being sold down river to China by the greedy politicians and Corporate America.
When is it going to STOP?
When are we going to say enough is enough to this SOB's?

We are diminished!

Sorry for venting to the po.

Great pics of a great ERA.

My first machine shop job was at ConVey Keystone in Roseburg Oregon back in 1984. In the back of the fab shop was a huge lathe that had to be at least a 6' swing and about 30' between centers. I was there for 3 years and only saw one job done on it. I don't even remember what it was other than it was huge and I was impressed with the mass of the project and how slow it was turning. I thought we were doing big stuff. In our shop we regularly milled keyway slots and did a lot of work on up to 6" shafts. All straight forward turning stuff. Made a lot of hubs and flanges. Never even heard of CNC in those days. Everything was manual in that shop. I miss that job. It just didn't pay very well. I remember $8.48 per hour. We were actually Boiler Makers Union though we never made any boilers while I was there. Still a good start for being 19. I found a better job during a layoff and never went back. The shop is still there and looks to be doing very well. They are still doing material handling but now looks like they are into robotics and automation. I don't miss the marathon shifts keeping deadlines though. I did learn about accuracy and stacking of tolerances. When you are working on a project with 150 other guys and components from all over the country when it comes assembly day if stuff doesn't fit you surely didn't want to be the guy with a part out of spec.

</div></div>
We need an upvote system for amazing comments such as these.

Those are awesome pictures. Been a machinist for 12 years, we build injection molds. Not many manual machines left, all cnc now. We even have a couple FPT Dino 5 axis machines, programed with Tebis software.