• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My SIG 556 DMR Experience

ohiogunnut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2008
Ohio, USA
Just got back from the range with this sucker and I have to say I am impressed! (please excuse the sweat stains on the check piece, but it was freakin HOT!) Shot better than I expected. With the 69gr Noslers over 24.5gr TAC it was a consistent 1 MOA gun. Speeds were around 2840fps and even had a couple sub-MOA presentations, but this was not the norm. I have to say I think the gun is possibly capable of this accuracy consistently, but the trigger is MUCH different than I am used to. Not that its bad, it just has a LONG first stage with a crisp second. Took my time and got the group shown. The PST was excellent and passed the box test I ran it through. All in all quite happy with the new stick and will be getting this puppy threaded for some suppressed shooting!

8797.jpg

8798.jpg

8799.jpg

8800.jpg

Re: My SIG 556 DMR Experience

Very nice! Even with the 10-twist barrel, I've had pretty decent results with 77 gr loads. I definitely agree, the trigger could be better and takes some adjusting. Have you tried it with the gas valve on single shot (non-cycling) mode at all? I've seen some claims that this may improve precision, but in my hands I couldn't tell any significant difference. I posted a report on the DMR a while back:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...625#Post2004625

Enjoy!

ewww. sweat stains....

Just curious how much does your rig weigh like it is set up in the pics?

Thanks for the review and pics.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice! Even with the 10-twist barrel, I've had pretty decent results with 77 gr loads. I definitely agree, the trigger could be better and takes some adjusting. Have you tried it with the gas valve on single shot (non-cycling) mode at all? I've seen some claims that this may improve precision, but in my hands I couldn't tell any significant difference. I posted a report on the DMR a while back:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...625#Post2004625

Enjoy! </div></div>

Thank you. Your review is what made me decide what the heck, might as well try it. Love my AR's, but the lure of the piston for suppressed shooting is pretty powerful!

I've got a tricked out 556 Classic that I love.

I've been tempted by a DMR a few times, but never could find a decent accuracy report. Many thanks for the report and pics.

I will keep the DMR in mind.

Great look rifle, I love by Sig 516, thinking of ditching my POF .308 and getting one of these.

I really want an SPR/DMR-type rifle. Thank you for making my life so much harder now.
cry.gif
Especially because it would be such a good match to the 522...

What is the weight with the PRS and glass?? Great looking and shooting rig, too.

Not sure on the weight (just tore it down to send the upper off for threading). Somewhere around 12-13lbs I would guess. Not a light weight, but much easier to tote than my beastly AR10 with a 24" heavy barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aojones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great look rifle, I love by Sig 516, thinking of ditching my POF .308 and getting one of these. </div></div>

Don't know that I would do that. I like the Sig so far, but my velocities only indicate super sonic out to 750 yards which is far less than you likely are getting with a good 308 load. The primary advantage I see with the Sig over an AR platform (which I am a big fan of) is the gas system for suppressed shooting. MUCH cleaner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aojones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great look rifle, I love by Sig 516, thinking of ditching my POF .308 and getting one of these. </div></div>

Don't know that I would do that. I like the Sig so far, but my velocities only indicate super sonic out to 750 yards which is far less than you likely are getting with a good 308 load. The primary advantage I see with the Sig over an AR platform (which I am a big fan of) is the gas system for suppressed shooting. MUCH cleaner. </div></div>

Yea, I am just pissed because I have been having problems with the POF jamming and failing to feed, just sent it back to POF today for warranty repairs. I do like the fact the 5.56 is much cheaper to shoot.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aojones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do like the fact the 5.56 is much cheaper to shoot..... </div></div>

Me too man! I made it a rule that all my 223 loading is on the Dillon. For 308 and above I do single stage and meter everything which takes time I DON'T have anymore. I can knock out 1000 rounds on the Dillon easy on a weekend and have months of fun (saving time and $$). I have several good AR's but wanted something novel and cleaner shooting (again, the lazy man's quest).

I actually took a classic swat and added a match-grade 18" bull barrel to it. The rifle still has yet to have a failure, and going from the 16" pencil barrel to the 18" bull barrel has made all of the difference. Including the UBR stock, it weighs in at 12 lbs. The advantage of the weight is the utter lack of recoil. It literally feels like one is firing an angry pellet gun instead of a 5.56. I went with the Wylde chamber and 1:7 twist with a JP compensator to finish it.
I don't know the whole "MOA" equivalent, but last week I put 30 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger into a 1 1/2" circle. I didn't color over the line once.

I have some pics but I can't figure out how to paste them to this response...

Just got the suppressor mounted up last night. Can't wait to see how it shoots!

8913.jpg

That looks like fun. How do you like the 2.5-10 PST I have been thinking about one for my MWS.

Dustin

That is so nice, Ive wanted one for a couple years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got the suppressor mounted up last night. Can't wait to see how it shoots!

8913.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scsbronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks nice!! Are the DMR's piston guns ?

</div></div>

All SIG 556's are piston guns.

Here's mine:

IMG_2440-1280.jpg

IMG_2441-1280.jpg

Crazy long first stage (little creepy) with about a 4-5lb second. Turn around including shipping was a week and a half. Pretty darn good for OH -> CO and back.

I may have to send mine in. Did you have to send the whole lower? Any restrictions, if so (FFL)?

No, on the Sig the upper is the serial numbered part. I just pulled the stock off and sent the lower with pistol grip on (he needs that in place) in a medium flat rate box.

FYI - just because it is a piston gas system DOES NOT mean its going to shoot more clean. I have recently done a carbine course with a couple buddies and I ran a 16" LMT Piston setup with Surefire 556AR suppressor. It was just as dirty as the DI guns after a 1000 round course of fire over 2 days. We did not clean them at the end of the 1st day, we wanted to see how hard we could push them.

Inherently, some gunsmiths are saying that DI guns still hold the accuracy edge over the piston guns. And at this point in the race with my GAP10 and a buddies LWRC Reaper.... my GAP10 is far more accurate on paper.

Agree on the DI having the edge on accuracy. However, I have quite a few DI guns (AR10's/15's) as well as piston guns. When shooting suppressed, the DI guns definitely show more crud than the pistons, at least in the herd from my safe.

Your partly right. They will show less gunk but shooting suppressed is going to dirty your gun up no matter what the gas system is. After a 200 round course of fire the carrier/bolt on my DI is dirty, at an even pace. On the gas piston, the front of the carrier and the bolt are equally as dirty as the DI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They will show less gunk but shooting suppressed is going to dirty your gun up no matter what the gas system is. </div></div>

Agree sir and this is the ONLY point I was trying to make
grin.gif

FYI, looks like Sig has redone most of the 556 series. Details on the current version of the DMR below (shorter barrel with a 1:8 twist):

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig556-dmr.aspx

Features a 18”military grade cold hammer-forged heavy contour barrel. The rifle is chambered in 5.56mm NATO, with a twist rate of 1 in 8”. The match grade heavy barrel features a target crown and matte black nitride finish for the ultimate in corrosion resistance. The forearm, housing the gas operating system, is a vented non-slip polymer featuring the SIG TriRail™ design with three integrated Picatinny rails for mounting a bipod and other accessories. The Picatinny rail equipped receiver is made of high strength steel with a durable wear-resistant Nitron-X finish. The trigger housing is machined from an aircraft grade aluminum alloy forging with a hard-coat anodized finish designed to survive extreme conditions. The rifle comes equipped with an enhanced single stage target trigger, ambidextrous safety and is designed to accept standard AR magazines. The ergonomically designed pistol grip features an integrated storage compartment.

556-DMR-Hero-detail.jpg

I saw this after receiving your note about the new trigger. I'm a little disappointed about the 18" barrel, I would have preferred at least 20", but at least they got the twist right. BTW: if you have any other Sig 556s you want the trigger replaced on, you might want to have them done before you tell anyone on the Sigforum or Sig 556 websites about this little gem of information. I suspect the fellas at Triggerwork will be booked solid for a couple years when the other 556 owners find out (LOL).

Agree. I think both the shorter barrel and stock change suck (PRS -> CTR). Also, the barrel profile looks thinner, which for me is not a good thing. Oh well, the twist rate is an improvement.

OK man. I have an AR10 too and prefer it for 1000 yards. Don't understand your sentiment here.

I have a Sig 556 SBR and I just feel for the money.... there are better options. For a accuracy rig, I cant get in line with the trigger or gas system. The lack of options hurt it as well. There are pretty much no aftermarket accessories for that line of rifles.

And yes, we have test fired a DMR with the trigger kit and heavy barrel. My MK12 just out performed it all the way around.

I am not knocking the rifle so cool your jets. I own a SBR and shoot it quite a bit in rifle courses. For a CQB rifle it is pretty awesome, but its stupid loud!

Totally agree the stock trigger sucked (why the trigger job). I myself wouldn't have picked one up except I got a REALLY good deal here on the exchange and it looked like an interesting platform. As to the loud, it doesn't suppress nearly as well as I hoped. Had the same experience with my Aug too (due to the gas venting).

thanks for sharing, nice set-up.
did you try any light projectiles?
I always love to see what things shoot with surplus ball

Nice, quiet little range you got there Ohio. Who says that bench shooting isn't relaxing? Turn off your phone, bring a lunch.
Good for you and enjoy the new stick.

Ohio, you have the best stuff and have great taste.

I love the aesthetics of your rifles.

Take care,

DD

I called SIG this past week asking about the single stage trigger they mentioned on the web site but their pdf for download said it was a 2 stage trigger. They confirmed it is a 2 stage and have just changed the web site to reflect.
SIG556 DMR

"Features a 18” match grade heavy contour barrel. The rifle is chambered in 5.56mm NATO, with a twist rate of 1 in 8”. The match grade heavy barrel features a target crown and matte black nitride finish for the ultimate in corrosion resistance. The forearm, housing the gas operating system, is a vented aluminum design with Picatinny rails for mounting a bipod and other accessories. The Picatinny rail on the receiver is made of high strength steel with a durable wear-resistant Nitron-X finish. The trigger housing is machined from an aircraft grade aluminum alloy forging with a hard-coat anodized finish designed to survive extreme conditions. The rifle comes equipped with an enhanced two-stage target trigger, ambidextrous safety and is designed to accept standard AR magazines. The ergonomically designed pistol grip features an integrated storage compartment. NOTE - SCOPE, MOUNT AND RINGS ARE NOT INCLUDED.