• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My son's first deer

Dave in Idaho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2003
Idaho
My son's very first deer. Great shot at 174yds He followed the blood to the deer. He also gutted it with just a little direction from me.
Rifle: Ruger M77 in .243 (Mom's gun actually)
Bullet: 108gr Berger Target (worked but I don't recommend it)

NolanandBuck2.jpg

Re: My son's first deer

That is awesome! Congrats to you both, my daughter got her first buck last fall, they won't ever forget it!

I am glad that you are mentoring your son. You should be proud of both of you. Good job!

Always nice to see dad's hunting with their kids!!! Congrats and keep up the good work!

That's a nice picture and a nice deer. Good for him! Pretty hard to beat a .243 for a young hunter.

Very happy to see mentor hunting. Father son, father daughter, father mother, etc. My dad was never a hunter, it took a couple times going to my cousin's house and him and my uncle not there because they were out hunting, for me to find out what was so keen on hunting. My grandfather hunted when he was younger but now only has a .410 for takeing care of ground hogs. I asked my grandfather one time when we(mom, dad, and myself)were visting, "if I buy you a box of slugs for the .410, can you teach me how to hunt" he said sure. So the following year I was 15, saved money up and bought a 30-30. Got my camo and blaze orange, and went to grandma's and grandpa's for a week durning deer season. Saw many deer but I wasnt 100% comfortable with the gun(flinching). Then saved money for a shotgun, and grandpa and I went turkey hunting, didnt see any, but had some talking to me. When we quit hunting for the day, he looked at me and said I heard some turkey by you but didnt hear shooting, I laughed and said I got some calls and was trying to call them in. We both laughed. So everytime I see my grandfather I always bring up that i'm very thankful that he got me into hunting.

Tell him congratulations.

Having a son or daughter that hunts means you always have a hunting buddy ready to go hunting.