• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My soon to be ex wife kept my guns and ammo!!

mcginnis101

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Campbellsville, Ky
Well I am currently in the middle of a divorce and have been for a year now. So when I moved out I got out with a few of my firearms but she would not let me get my .300 win mag, and told me a judge would have to make her to give it to me. So little to my suprise a couple weeks ago I recieve a phone call from Kentucky State Police saying she had reported it stolen and she had no idea what had happened to it (bullshit). There was no forced entry and not one single thing other than my .300 was missing. So now she still has basically all of my ammo, reloading supplies and another rifle.
So my question is can she legally posses a firearm that is registered in my name? Or do I have to wait until oooppps the other rifle just comes up missing too?

Re: My soon to be ex wife kept my guns and ammo!!

Why dont you report it stolen along with the ammo. Declare it on your home owners and then get yourself a new kit with the check that they give you.
Then if it re-apperrs have her arrested for theft.

Why did you leave without all of your gear?

Would have called the sheriff up and asked for him or a deputy to supervise while you get your firearms which are registered in your name. Or hell, do what others suggested and claim on insurance and get new.

Excuse my ignorance, but does KY even have a registry? Or any state in the U.S. for that matter? I remember California considering it, but to my knowledge that hasn't gone through yet (I could be wrong there, I don't really follow California politics).

I'm Canadian, so I have a bit of knowledge on firearm registries, but I didn't think any of the states in the U.S. had one. I know NICS keeps records of firearms purchase up to 18 days and then they are erased, but didn't think there was anything beyond that.

Maryland has "voluntary" registration you have to complete before purchasing a "regulated" firearm--so-called assault weapons, handguns, etc. If you don't fill out the "voluntary" registration, you get disapproved for the sale by Maryland State Police.

Only logical thing to do next is post nekkid pictures of her on the internet(snipers hide)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only logical thing to do next is post nekkid pictures of her on the internet(snipers hide) </div></div>
^this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did you leave without all of your gear? </div></div>

That's also the big question I have. For me that would be like abandoning my dog or even a child.

You DID remember to take photos and whatnot, just in case, right?
First rule of relationships: Save dirty pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only logical thing to do next is post nekkid pictures of her on the internet(snipers hide) </div></div>
^this </div></div>

Dude. The guns are not registered in Ky any more than the grill you bought at Big Lots. They are community property. Possesion is 9/10s of the law. She is using them to hurt you. Don't fall for her bullshit. Get out fast. Give her what ever she wants to get things finalized and get the fuck on with your life. Buy better stuff without all the grief that she adds to your life. It will come in time. Freedom and later finding a "good one" to be with are worth all the pain you feel now.

You need to look at the big picture.
1. When you are married you usually don't get any of your paycheck. Now you get half.
2. You can buy another gun when this is done. You don't want to buy another divorce.
3. As others said you should have taken them when you left. When I went through the same thing the first thing I got out of the house while she was throwing shit at me and breaking things was my guns.
4. No matter how bad you think it is or will be during the divorce it will get better with time.
5. Drop to your knees and thank God that you don't have kids with her. I sure did.
6. Take my word for it money comes and goes. Everything you have you can get back again with some good old fashion hard work.
7. Treat every conversation you have with her on the phone or in person like it is being recorded. NEVER lose your temper no matter how bad it is. Never be in her presence alone. Always have at least one person with you as a witness.
8. The legal system favors the woman. That is just the way it is and you can't stop it. Like working in the rain you just got to deal with it.
9. Attorneys are slime. They like to bleed you slow so push yours to go quickly. Divorce is expensive but worth every penny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Attorneys are slime.</div></div>And gun owners are idiot rednecks.
grin.gif

Now we've repeated for him both the NPR and the FOX News talking points, verbatim.
wink.gif

Didnt you ean "Late wife?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to look at the big picture.
6. Take my word for it money comes and goes. Everything you have you can get back again with some good old fashion hard work.
<span style="color: #CC0000">This, and I would buy better gear. Certainly report everything else stolen. That way, if she does have it, and she tries selling it, it is reported as stolen. </span>
7. Treat every conversation you have with her on the phone or in person like it is being recorded. NEVER lose your temper no matter how bad it is. Never be in her presence alone. Always have at least one person with you as a witness.
<span style="color: #CC0000">This for sure. Do not lose your temper, that WILL work against you in the future.</span>
8. The legal system favors the woman. That is just the way it is and you can't stop it. Like working in the rain you just got to deal with it.
<span style="color: #CC0000">'Nuff said.</span>
9. Attorneys are slime. They like to bleed you slow so push yours to go quickly. Divorce is expensive but worth every penny.
<span style="color: #FF0000">My two bits here is to find a blood thirsty FEMALE attorney. Talk to your buddies who got screwed in THEIR divorces, find out who their EX's attorney was, and hire them. In fact...might talk to a lot of them. This could help out. The attorney, should your wife try and hire them, could say that it is conflict of interest and then not take her on as a client.</span>
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did you leave without all of your gear? </div></div> when I left my house during the divorce I took all guns and ammo with me.

I recommended finding the most ruthless female attorney in the area and hire her. I know that if I get divorced again I'm going to use my ex's attorney cause she is a fucking beast and raped me in court.

Listen to the Gunny.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T1w9K_OrRhg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T1w9K_OrRhg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen to the Gunny.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T1w9K_OrRhg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T1w9K_OrRhg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

wink.gif

Every time my wife and I have a fight, whether it be as trivial as choosing what's for dinner or what's the 20 year old doing nakkie in the bed, I always load my guns/accessories in the truck. First rule in the man book

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joyola</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every time my wife and I have a fight, whether it be as trivial as choosing what's for dinner or what's the 20 year old doing nakkie in the bed, I always load my guns/accessories in the truck. First rule in the man book </div></div>You must not have much. If I did that every time me and the old lady got into a fight, By the time I got all the shit in the truck I wouldn't even remember what we were fighting over.

There is only one answer for this: FIDO.

Stands for F*** It Drive On.

With that philosophy, you can get through anything. Drive on. Get a better gun. Get more ammo. In the time you spend being upset about it, you can start planning a new build, that gun you *really* wanted in the first place and all kinds of cool stuff you can buy now that you don't have the battleaxe to answer to.

FIDO. Solves everything... including stress.

Cheers,

Sirhr

You left your guns at <span style="text-decoration: underline">her</span> house?
shocked.gif
She is now the enemy, and she is armed- by you! For future reference, arming your enemies is a bad idea, and leave naked if you must, but take the guns when you go. Good luck.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You left your guns at her house? shocked She is now the enemy, and she is armed- by you! For future reference,<span style="font-weight: bold"> arming your enemies is a bad idea</span>, and leave naked if you must, but take the guns when you go. Good luck. wink</div></div>

You sure you aint working for some gov. agency and it was just a matter of habit that got better of you...
smile.gif

Sorry for offtopic i just couldn't help myself....

I'm going through a divorce right now. Things were iffy for awhile and EVERY time I left the house all of my guns were locked up in my shop. Sure paid off, came home from out of town two weeks ago with her sweet talking me all the way home. I arrive, see my daughter for literally 10 seconds before she "runs to the store" with her and discover she had moved everything of hers out of the house plus a few of mine. She had already bought and furnished a house, but didn't get my guns. Right now it's very likely I'll get custody of my daughter, the one thing I can't replace.

A good friend was getting divorced and sold all his guns to me for a dollar. As I said, a good friend. Divorce final, I said "what guns".

Seriously, sold them back for a dollar - money DID change hands. Legal transaction.

Kevin

Is she living in the house yall shared?
Is there legal paperwork in place keeping you away from the house or disposing of or locking down any of the property?

If the answers are Yes and No, go get your guns. Youre still legally married and still own everything as much as she does.

Well when I left I grabbed a few guns along with some furniture she "allowed" me to leave with, and my cloths. When I made my second trip for some items she was "allowing" me to get I went to get my other rifles and ammo I had stock piled and it was all gone. When I asked her where it was I was told I not to worry about it I could have it when the judge told her to turn them over. Well little late for that because one actually is missing now. My guess is she sold it. She did file a teft report (I'm guess to cover herself) So when the state trooper called and told me he was there and the gun was stolen I headed right over there. So I asked him well what about the other firearm and all of my ammo do I have to leave it here until it just comes up missing? His response: you need to file it with the court to retrieve your property. Then the next thing he said really pissed me off. Trooper said, if we do find this firearm it will be returned to your ex wife until the court decides otherwise. REALLY!! Are you effin kidding me!!! And YES I do have at least one PICTURE!!! bahaha

Man this sucks bro. I was lucky, my ex and I didn't argue over anything. I did have to leave my safe and a lot of gear until I could find a place to put them. She kept a snub .38 I gave her one year for Christmas and a M&P Pro 9mm. In all fairness, when I was going to buy the Pro from a buddy she paid for it before I could.

In my case, I could go by the house after work (she works later then me) and pick up stuff whenever. If she had been a pita, I figured I could let the ATF know she was in possession of some class 3 stuff and the tax stamps were not in her name. Luckily, it all went smooth.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if she reported an item stolen that was not isn't she guilty of filing a false police report?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes she is living in the house we shared and no there is nothing filed that says I can not enter. </div></div>

Enter.
Get your shit out.
On the way out the door tell her to fuck herself.
Never look back.
Done.

Yes the false police report involving a firearm is a felony to my understanding. But so far she has gotten out of DUI'S, assaulting a police officer (which is a felony), public intoxication, and a list of smaller things since we have been seprated. Yeah I know she sounds like a real winner! How she gets out of everything is beyond me. Worse part is I'm fighting her for custody of our son, yes that is right, my record is as clean as it can get, not even a speeding ticket and I have to fight her for custody. Court system is as screwed up as it gets.

Damn man. Make sure you document everything, save text messages & emails. It's hard but don't say or write anything to her that comes across as aggressive or threatening. When you get all your stuff and your son then tell her to go fuck herself. Let her look like the bad guy to the court.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes she is living in the house we shared and no there is nothing filed that says I can not enter. </div></div>

Enter.
Get your shit out.
Never look back.
Done. </div></div>

Legally then, there is nothing that says you cant move back into the house. Or enter the house and get your stuff. Its all *our* stuff. At least in Texas...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes she is living in the house we shared and no there is nothing filed that says I can not enter. </div></div>

Enter.
Get your shit out.
Never look back.
Done. </div></div>

Legally then, there is nothing that says you cant move back into the house. Or enter the house and get your stuff. Its all *our* stuff. At least in Texas...</div></div>

What he said...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes she is living in the house we shared and no there is nothing filed that says I can not enter. </div></div>

Enter.
Get your shit out.
Never look back.
Done. </div></div>

Legally then, there is nothing that says you cant move back into the house. Or enter the house and get your stuff. Its all *our* stuff. At least in Texas...</div></div>

What he said... </div></div>

The legality of your entry can and probably will be dependent on how long you have been moved out of the house.

Look into laws involving community property in your state. In the MOST GENERAL of terms, property bought during the marriage will be considered communal, and will require a courts ruling to determine ownership. Again very generalized and not specific to your state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Led-Zep</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joyola</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every time my wife and I have a fight, whether it be as trivial as choosing what's for dinner or what's the 20 year old doing nakkie in the bed, I always load my guns/accessories in the truck. First rule in the man book </div></div>You must not have much. If I did that every time me and the old lady got into a fight, By the time I got all the shit in the truck I wouldn't even remember what we were fighting over. </div></div>

and that's the truth!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Attorneys are slime.</div></div>And gun owners are idiot rednecks.
grin.gif

Now we've repeated for him both the NPR and the FOX News talking points, verbatim.
wink.gif
</div></div>
Okay so maybe not all. You have always been GTG.
smile.gif

all of my weapons are insured as personal valuable property through my insurance company. if she reported it stolen and it turns up at a pawn shop or something or a friend has it and its serial number gets run then she set herself up for a world of hurt. she is basically hurting herself if that weapon is ever found because she falsified the whole ordeal.

if you put in a claim with the insurance company and later the weapon is found and the insurance company decided she had something to do with it then thats a whole other charge right there.

if its yours then its also hers if you are married in most states (unless you owned it before you were married). you can walk into the house any day and take anything you want and she can not do anything about it.

you then sale each firearm to a friend for $1 a pop so that in the divorce she can't take half your firearms or something odd like that because you already sold them and you only have to legally give her half the money. you can also give them to someone as a gift if there hasn't been any divorce paperwork paperwork started yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B101ABN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Enter.
Get your shit out.
Never look back.
Done. </div></div>

What he said... </div></div>

The legality of your entry can and probably will be dependent on how long you have been moved out of the house.

Look into laws involving community property in your state. In the MOST GENERAL of terms, property bought during the marriage will be considered communal, and will require a courts ruling to determine ownership. Again very generalized and not specific to your state. </div></div>

Talk to your attorney about all of this. - problem solved.

If you go to the house to retrieve your things:

1. If you have a police officer that will go with you, I would take him.
2. If you don't know a LEO, take a witness. All she has to do is say you assaulted her and you won't have any need for a gun (Lautenberg amendment...)
3. If you take a friend, have a recorder going.
4. If she goes crazy while you're there, CRAWL out of the house and call the police.

Just be smart about it.

First let me say, happily divorced for 14 years.

Someone above said "FIDO" and that's the God's honest truth.

Don't be around her at all without witnesses. Fuck it walk away, brother.

I got out with my first rifle I bought when out of the USN, 1896 Swede in 6.5x55 and that's it. She got everything else.

Life is too short, you're going to make more money and get new toys.

Learn from our Mistakes, you might not survive making them all yourself.

It's a ballbuster, it sucks, it ain't fair, Fuck it. Just smile at her every chance you get, you'll drive her fucking nuts trying to figure "What's that motherfucker always smiling about?" In that way you win.

It wont' be easy,
Breeze

AS someone with a couple "do overs" under the belt, the FIDO advice is good. It will make you appreciate a good one when you find her.

Two things - divorces are expensive, because if you need one, there is no substitute for it, and it's worth every penny.

Second - the best revenge is living well. Trust me on this, your standard of living will only improve from here, hers will not. SHe knows this too, and it is the source of much of her anger and BS.

At the moment it becomes clear to her, that she has no more power over you, she is done. As long as you engage her, and give her that power, trust me, she will use it. By walking away, you get to keep all your stuff from that point forward. All from that point forward, is likely a lot more than you leave behind. Take care of the kid(s) and your life will only be better being rid of crazy in your life!

Shooter3, you are a dumbass for not taking all your stuff when you moved out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AS someone with a couple "do overs" under the belt, the FIDO advice is good. It will make you appreciate a good one when you find her.

Two things - divorces are expensive, because if you need one, there is no substitute for it, and it's worth every penny.

Second - the best revenge is living well. Trust me on this, your standard of living will only improve from here, hers will not. SHe knows this too, and it is the source of much of her anger and BS.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> At the moment it becomes clear to her, that she has no more power over you, she is done. As long as you engage her, and give her that power, trust me, she will use it. </span> By walking away, you get to keep all your stuff from that point forward. All from that point forward, is likely a lot more than you leave behind. Take care of the kid(s) and your life will only be better being rid of crazy in your life! </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 20pt"> <span style="color: #FF0000">EXCELLENT ADVICE </span> </span>