• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My SPR Project/ Updated 1-16-11

bbhank

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2009
    so cal
    Good Evening fellow Hide members,

I bought a bunch of uppers and lowers from my local California OLL dealer and I have almost completed my first of several builds that I will share with you. In the first post of this thread I am going to list the specs of this rifle, its purpose and then I will slowly review the components as I use the rifle at the range.

When I set out to build this rifle I was looking to find a cheap alternative to shooting my .308 at long range and decided that the AR .223/5.56 was great platform to work with due to several reason I'm sure most of you are familiar with but for the newbee's I will tell you why. First AR's are a proven platform in all variation, second everybody and their mom makes parts for them that range from cheapo plinking parts to high quality accurate parts, and lastly there is a vast wealth of information on the net including assembly videos on youtube that makes them a snap to put together.

This rifle is a based on the military's Special Purpose Rifle (SPR). The SPR, used by Special Operations Forces of both the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy, is a heavily modified light sniper/designated marksman variation of the AR-15/M16 line of infantry weapons, and is chambered for NATO standard 5.56x45mm ammunition(taken from wiki dont know how accurate this last statement is but I added it for reference). I didnt follow any special build sheet for parts but I liked the idea of an 18" barrelled semi light rifle that would ding a mansized target at 600 yards.

Here is my spec sheet:
    LRB upper and lower
    Magpul PRS stock
    Ergo Suregrip Grip with palm rest
    JP Enterprises Lower Parts kit w/o trigger group
    KNS Anti-walk pins
    Bullet Button
    Standard no frills Charging Handle
    Badger Ordinance Tactical Latch
    Geiselle SSA-E trigger
    White Oak 18" SPR Barrel .223 wylde chamber with 1/7 twist and Bolt Carrier Group
    Troy MRF-RX 13.8" Free Float hand guard
    Surefire muzzle brake
    Yankee Hill Machine Swivel Mount
    Harris 6-9 swivel Bipod
    Ken Farrell High Steel 30mm Rings for my US Optics ST-10 I ordered but is not in yet.

Here are the pics, let me know your thoughts:
    2a5yh04.jpg

15xs2rs.jpg

I'm not sure when my scope will come in from USO but it may be a month or so before I start my reviews on the operation of the rifle. I will however write a post next week regarding the actual building process of my first AR and hopefully it will help some of you with yours.

Re: My SPR Project/ A series of reviews

Shes a beaut so far! Im thinking ill be working on something similar this year
    smile.gif

It has a real nice balanced look. Real visual appeal. The surefire brake with the long rail just looks mean.

Not a big rail fan but that is nice. Best thing I see is the WOA barrel. John makes hammers....

I would love to see a range report when your scope comes in, I'm interested in how the accuracy is with the WOA barrel.

Very nice. How much does it weigh? It definitely doesnt look semi light. Very sexy though.

nice rifle, and good choice on the WOA barrel. They make good stuff!

Thanks guys for all the compliments..... The rifle definately isnt a replica of the SPR. I just used the ideal behind the SPR and built what I liked. So hard feelings there.

I'll get the weight up tomorrow.

Well I weighed this rifle on my home scale and it reads 11 pounds without optics or a loaded mag. I think the specs on the actual SPR are 10 pounds with optics and magazine.

Looks good 77.. Looks similar to mine. I'll try and take pics of it. I recently got a good deal on a NF 2.5-10X24 scope for the rifle. Just need to buy a mount for it.

As promised here are my experiences assembling my rifle:

These ar's are a snapped to put together quickly, however its just as easy to not pay attention and forget something. It is also very important to make sure you have all the right tools.

The first thing I would do before assembling any more lowers is to lube every roll pin hole in the lower overnight with 3 in one oil or M-Pro gun oil, heck CLP may even do the trick. The idea is that some the pins and corresponding holes are so F'n tight any help you can get is going to help. My lower was the first one I put together and the second was for a freind. We lubed the second and process went way smoother.

Secondly I would cover as much of the lower as you can with self release blue tape and buy the right hammer/punches. My AR has alot of sharpee repair work on it you cant see and thats because I put mine together with a framing hammer and all the wrong punches. I just went out and bought the Lyman punch and hammer set and the results on the second lower I assembled had alot less nicks from the sliding punch and miss swings from the hammer....

Thirdly I bought a builders kit from a local supplier and I found that two of the parts were a big help and the rest of the stuff wasn't. The mag well vise block is awesome you need to get one, same with the alignment install tool for the front takedown pin. The mag well vise block allows you to use both hand to do the work at task and alone is worth the 40 bucks for the kit. The take down pin tool is cool and is probably easily replaceable if you are handy. You could use anything in its place including wood dowel, a screwdriver, or even a large nail. Just insert the tool in from the drivers side of the rifle and before it gets to the detent whole drop in the spring then the detent, use your tool to hold it down while you place the take down pin infront of the tool and push it out from the passengers side.

With all that being said the rest of the lower is easy to put together and I didn't have much of an issue putting the upper together however I do have one thought. Everyone says to torque your barrel nut to 30-60 foot pounds, well that seemed fishy to me until I started assembly the upper. The way it worked out with the barrel nut tight I couldn't get my gas tube in and with it lined up it seemed way to loose to me. So make sure you have access to a dremel tool and I guess this only really applies to those who use an A2 barrel nut. After realizing my dilemma I just went to the home deepthroat and bought a dremel. I torqed the barrel nut to 55 pounds and the used the dremel to clear the path for the gas tube.

I have fired this rifle but I have no accuracy reports as yet I was only shooting steel and with a 40$ scope and the wrong rings. I will say after I got sighted in I didn't miss one shot at the 12x12 steel plates I was shooting at. The muzzle break makes follow up shots quick and the Gieselle SSA/E trigger is awesome.

Stay tuned for my next post where I will give you my thoughts on the PRS and Troy Hand guard. Still waiting on US optics, I may have to wait until end of FEB. However it will be worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run those 77's and you'll be dinging steel at 600 with ease.
    joe3.jpg
    </div></div>

Dave, what rail covers are you using there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run those 77's and you'll be dinging steel at 600 with ease.
    joe3.jpg
    </div></div>

Dave, what rail covers are you using there? </div></div>

Knights Armament I believe..
    http://www.valkyrietactical.com/product_...7937fb60f874a61

I would also try the hornady 75 grainers. My spr likes them and they are a higher bc than the sierra mk 77gr.