• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My SPS-AAC Project

benjaminzero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Picked up a Remington SPS-AAC-SD:
-1-10" Twist 20" Barrel
-Threaded Barrel

<span style="font-weight: bold">Upgrades:</span>

B&C Light Tactical Stock:
- I textured w/ Devcon: Thanks to R&D Precision DIY page
- Coated with Brownell's Alumihyde Coyote, and Matte Clear
IMG_9377.jpg

IMG_9379.jpg

Skim bedded with Devcon:
- My first crack at bedding
- Much thanks to William from Louisanna Precision Rifles and Scimitar for the help in your threads!
IMG_9387.jpg

Bolt sent off to Mark @ Short Action Customs:
- Badger Bolt Knob Conversion
- Thanks for the great service and more work will be headed your way in the future!
IMG_9391.jpg

Rifle Basix Trigger:
- L1-K factory set @ 2.5lbs
IMG_9393.jpg

R&D Precision RAD RAPID Brake:
IMG_9394.jpg

Final product:
- TPS 20MOA Base, 30mm rings
- Eagle Stock Pack
- TAB Gear Sling
- Harris Bipod
- Falcon Menace 4-14X Mil/Mil
IMG_9395.jpg

IMG_9396.jpg

Thanks again to all of the you hider's for the advice and great products! Next step in the project is upgrading glass, but the Falcon has been chugging along w/ no issues for over a year now. New range report to follow monday out to 400 yards, but rifle was easily sub MOA out of the box before all of this work.

Re: My SPS-AAC Project

Did you need any extra work to get the break to fit? I was looking at the same set up but was unsure if the factory threads would work well enough for that break. Nice set up you have there.

Nice job on the rifle! Looks great in the pics, but I can't wait to check it out in person.
See you at the range on Monday?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2brothers641</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you need any extra work to get the break to fit? I was looking at the same set up but was unsure if the factory threads would work well enough for that break. Nice set up you have there.</div></div>
The threads were perfectly fine. As for timing the brake, it indexed just shy of the barrel shoulder so there is a slight gap. But the pinch collar alleviated that issue. Down the road I will have the brake set back slightly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job on the rifle! Looks great in the pics, but I can't wait to check it out in person.
See you at the range on Monday?</div></div>

I'll be there...

Nice stick. I just bought the same rifle and have the AAC brake on it. Will be getting a new stock and DBM.

Looks good. So we will see you Monday at 10am?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. So we will see you Monday at 10am?</div></div>

Wouldn't miss it

I can't believe what a difference the brake made!
Imay be looking into one myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe what a difference the brake made!
Imay be looking into one myself. </div></div>

Yeah, I had Mark at SAC install a Badger FTE on my SPS as well. HUGE Difference! The gun is a joy to shoot now. Not that a .308 was horrible, but after 100 rounds in a day shooting a light short-barrel rifle - you could definitely feel that you had been shooting.

But more than anything, the ability to see my own hits has improved a thousand fold. The SPS is just really fun to shoot now.

Thanks for the comments and kind words. The brake really did help a lot with seeing my hits. Didn't need it per-say but the factory thread protector was nearly flush with crown and offered almost no protection, that was the main reason for a change, everything else was a bonus.

Reaper: The brake is actually the RAD RAPID by R&D precision, not a badger FTE. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Extremely effective and a great design, and fit directly to factory threading.

Not to thread hijack, but I just got an AAC SD, and I'm evaluating my muzzle brake options. I'm wondering if you had to have your barrel turned down in order to fit the Badger FTE on Reaper? I read that the Badger FTE with the proper thread is for ".800” Minimum Barrels". The OD of the AAC SD Barrel is .867, so I was curious if it would work w/o any alteration.

I do like the RAD RAPID, but I think I'd opt for the FTE on looks alone if it was bolt on.

here's mine

Bell & Carlson stock (remolded the forearm to be more rounded)
Bolt knob by AZ Precision
Seekins base and rings
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
Old style rem trigger
CDI DBM

020.jpg

Some nice looking rigs you guys have. A lot of people are getting in to the sport or just adding to their inventory with these AAC SPS's and everybody seems to love them.

Let me know if you can can think of anything you would like to change on them or you wish was different. I would love to help out.

Mark

Mark, since you've fitted the Badger brakes on these guns before, perhaps you are able to answer my question in regards to having to turn down the barrel to fit the FTE brakes?

I haven't had enough trigger time on mine yet, but I am sending off my bolt to you tomorrow. Would have been today, but apparently I'm the only one who didn't realize it was Columbus day.

Hopefully by the time I'm done, my build will fall inline with what the guys above me have managed to do.
smile.gif

Cluebat, I went to the bank yesterday and checked the mail box twice also looking for some packages from PTG hoping to come in....lol

So your not the only one. Let me know what questions you have and we can go from there.

Mark