• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My thoughts on the Viper HS-T mil mil Scope...

raptor99

Minuteman
Oct 18, 2005
Pierre SD
I just wanted to post some initial thoughts on the Vortex HS-T mil,mil scope. I have been playing with the HS-T on my 260imp 30 Degree. First off I am "NOT" a mil guy and am patiently waiting for the MOA version to come on the market.

I got a chance to try out the mil,mil so I jumped on it. I know a lot of you guys are wanting to know more about the HS-T so I thought I would share my thoughts. Remember now, I am just a shooter not a writer or reviewer. These are just my thoughts. When the scope arrived I was impressed by the finish and apparent quality of the scope. I really like the exposed external knobs and the way they have put a slot so you can see where your at when dialing and how far you have gone. The dials have a crisp and positive feel to them. They are clearly marked and easy to read. The focus knob for once matches the actual yardage your trying to focus on.

I like the size and weight of the scope. It compares to my MK4 4.5x14 Leupolds. I have the 4.5x14 MK4s on most of my rifles and that has been my go to scope for years. I just feel it offers a lot for the kind of shooting I do. However after playing with the HS-T I may be rethinking that. The HS-T is just as sharp and clear if not more so. I have old eyes and have had problems in the past with some of my Leupolds not focusing clearly at 100yds without a parallax. In order to stop the crosshair movement I need to refocus and by the time the crosshairs are rock steady the target is blurry. I sent a couple of scopes back but the problem never seemed to get corrected. I was very pleased when the HS-T focused the dot at 100yds nice and sharp and the crosshairs were rock solid.

When shooting groups at 100yds I was surprised how clear my 3/4" dot was. It may have been the 16x compared to the 14x of my Leupold but for me it was crystal clear. I did some load testing at 600yds and had run my data off JBM in mils so I would know what to dial. I looked up my data and dialed in the correct mils and was dead on. I went up and down several times then back to my dial and was dead on again. Like I said earlier, I really do like the feel of the clicks on the knobs. They have a positive feel but are easy to dial and stay where they are dialed when going in an out of my drag bag.

I really like the cross hairs both in size and the clarity. The one thing I would really like to see is for Vortex to number the main hash marks in both the mil and the moa scopes. It would be a lot easier to use them for hold overs and a lot quicker to get a shot off if your using them for hold off or hold overs. I also hope they offer the MOA with half minute adjustments. I personally like the second focal plane and not having the illuminated reticle. I know a lot of you guys like the single plane and the illuminated reticle but you can get those in the Viper PSTs. I think this scope was designed to be reasonable in price for the shooter yet give you some really nice features that both long range shooters and hunters will really enjoy.

I am going to pass this one on to my son in law to try out. (Maybe he will give you guys another perspective on it). My overall opinion is that it is one hell of a scope for the money!!! I have one on order in the MOA version and can't wait until I get it. I will be ordering an additional scope when my next rifle is ready. I think Vortex has a clear winner with the HS-T and It will be hard not to consider them when your looking for a damn good tactical or long range hunting scope. I feel they hit the bulls eye with the HS-T!!

Have one in hand right now and would have to agree with all said thus far. Have not mounted or tested for tracking etc but initial impressions are damn good for the money. Vortex keeps on impressing me with no bullshit features that I need and glass that is quite impressive to say the least.

I've got two HSTs inbound and plan to compare them with the discontinued Viper HS 5-15x44, Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40, and the BSA Tactical 4-14x44.

It seems like Vortex is going after the "lower end" of the Leupold MK-4 series with the HS-T 4-16x44,
specifically the MK-4 4.5-14x40/50 SFP models. IMHO, by developing the HS-T 4-16x44, Vortex has
created a competitor to the MK-4 4.5-14 SFP series with as good as or better features, but for about
1/2 the price. I'm willing to bet that if the HS-T 4-16x44 sells well, Vortex will produce an HS-T 2.5-10x44
to compete with the MK-4 3.5-10x40 SFP models in about a year or so. Any thoughts?

wow, that's a lot of scope for the money.... this just might be my next scope if they can get one out in a MOA version soon.

I just wanted to post some initial thoughts on the Vortex HS-T mil,mil scope. I have been playing with the HS-T on my 260imp 30 Degree. First off I am "NOT" a mil guy and am patiently waiting for the MOA version to come on the market.

I got a chance to try out the mil,mil so I jumped on it. I know a lot of you guys are wanting to know more about the HS-T so I thought I would share my thoughts. Remember now, I am just a shooter not a writer or reviewer. These are just my thoughts. When the scope arrived I was impressed by the finish and apparent quality of the scope. I really like the exposed external knobs and the way they have put a slot so you can see where your at when dialing and how far you have gone. The dials have a crisp and positive feel to them. They are clearly marked and easy to read. The focus knob for once matches the actual yardage your trying to focus on.

I like the size and weight of the scope. It compares to my MK4 4.5x14 Leupolds. I have the 4.5x14 MK4s on most of my rifles and that has been my go to scope for years. I just feel it offers a lot for the kind of shooting I do. However after playing with the HS-T I may be rethinking that. The HS-T is just as sharp and clear if not more so. I have old eyes and have had problems in the past with some of my Leupolds not focusing clearly at 100yds without a parallax. In order to stop the crosshair movement I need to refocus and by the time the crosshairs are rock steady the target is blurry. I sent a couple of scopes back but the problem never seemed to get corrected. I was very pleased when the HS-T focused the dot at 100yds nice and sharp and the crosshairs were rock solid.

When shooting groups at 100yds I was surprised how clear my 3/4" dot was. It may have been the 16x compared to the 14x of my Leupold but for me it was crystal clear. I did some load testing at 600yds and had run my data off JBM in mils so I would know what to dial. I looked up my data and dialed in the correct mils and was dead on. I went up and down several times then back to my dial and was dead on again. Like I said earlier, I really do like the feel of the clicks on the knobs. They have a positive feel but are easy to dial and stay where they are dialed when going in an out of my drag bag.

I really like the cross hairs both in size and the clarity. The one thing I would really like to see is for Vortex to number the main hash marks in both the mil and the moa scopes. It would be a lot easier to use them for hold overs and a lot quicker to get a shot off if your using them for hold off or hold overs. I also hope they offer the MOA with half minute adjustments. I personally like the second focal plane and not having the illuminated reticle. I know a lot of you guys like the single plane and the illuminated reticle but you can get those in the Viper PSTs. I think this scope was designed to be reasonable in price for the shooter yet give you some really nice features that both long range shooters and hunters will really enjoy.

I am going to pass this one on to my son in law to try out. (Maybe he will give you guys another perspective on it). My overall opinion is that it is one hell of a scope for the money!!! I have one on order in the MOA version and can't wait until I get it. I will be ordering an additional scope when my next rifle is ready. I think Vortex has a clear winner with the HS-T and It will be hard not to consider them when your looking for a damn good tactical or long range hunting scope. I feel they hit the bulls eye with the HS-T!!

I failed to mention that it also comes with a "Zero" stop and sun shade. Like I said in my post, I have been a big fan of the MK4 4.5x14 for many years and they have served me well for the most part. However the HS-T is a lot more scope with some nicer features for a lot less money. For me this is a no brainer when it comes to my next scope. I can't imagine someone not going for the HS-T over the MK4 esp when you compare price and great customer service.

I have been pig eyen these scopes since they came out. How well does the shim zero stop work? How are the turrets? Can you slip the gun in a case w/o moving the turrets?

I would have no issues with the wire reticle in this scope. I have had many wire reticles before, and have only had a problem with one of them, and that was due to the rifle sliding down the side of a hill. And that was in a Redfield. Tore it apart, added some glue to keep in place, and it is still in operation today.

Sam @ Vortex has stated many times that he hasn't had any issues with the wire reticles in their scopes. Even if it does, the no BS warranty covers it all.

I will be picking up 2 of these scopes for our hunting rigs shortly. I loved my Midway Special, which is basically the exact same scope. Great scope!!

DK

The wire reticle precludes numbering of the hash marks.

This is a very attractive option. I liked the concept of the midway 5-15 but wanted a 3 or 4 power low end for hunting.
Looks like a real win by Vortex here.

I got two of the HS-Ts last week.

To my eye, their optical quality/clarity is very slightly but noticeably better than the HS 5-15x44. I also really like the reticle.

I got two of the HS-Ts last week.

To my eye, their optical quality/clarity is very slightly but noticeably better than the HS 5-15x44. I also really like the reticle.

Oddly enough, I was fixing to post the exact same thing. I replaced my 5-15 with a 4-16, and my very first thought was that the glass was noticeably better.

I have the scope mounted, but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I am so far impressed, to the point that I am considering selling my Leupold Mark AR 4-12 on my CZ527, and replacing it with another one of these.

I own one and have shot it a few times now. I really like the scope. I use a HDMR G2 on my other rifle and I really like both. It is pretty damn clear and everything is nice on it. I have owned a PST 4-16 before and the glass is better to me in this optic than the PST I had owned.

I have been pig eyen these scopes since they came out. How well does the shim zero stop work? How are the turrets? Can you slip the gun in a case w/o moving the turrets?

I have 3 vortex scopes with the shim zero stop, all work as intended if i recall correctly they go past the "zero" by about 5moa then you pop them back to your "zero" i could prob tighten up more put i dont mind being able to go below my zero. I have also had no problems with the turrets spinning on their own whether exiting a bag or in the field.

What are everyone's thoughts about using this scope for target shooting out to
around 700-800 yds? I ask because I have an FN PBR-XP .308 w/ 20" barrel and
a MIL-1913 rail w/ 20MOA of slope I'm in the process of building up as a scout
rifle. The Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 is one of about 3-4 different scopes I'm considering
for my set up.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys could pass along.

Is this model line meant to replace the PST model scopes ? What is the difference ?

Is this model line meant to replace the PST model scopes ?

No.

What is the difference ?

The HS-T 4-16x44 is essentially a second focal PST 4-16x50 with a smaller objective diameter, different type & style of reticle, and no illumination. The HS-T and the PST share the same glass, basic dimensions, weight, & optical measurements...its just that the HS-T has fewer features.

Still very interested in one of these. Any updated reports?

John

I shot mine to 1100yd a few weeks ago.

Due to time constraints I was shooting sub-optimal ammo in my rifles and I wasn't able to test tracking & repeatability of my two HS-Ts...but I was happy with the optical clarity and really like the mil-hash reticle compared to a traditional mildot.

No.

The HS-T 4-16x44 is essentially a second focal PST 4-16x50 with a smaller objective diameter, different type & style of reticle, and no illumination. The HS-T and the PST share the same glass, basic dimensions, weight, & optical measurements...its just that the HS-T has fewer features.

Thanks for that.

Seems to me like a good option for hunting/truck rigs that don't have to shoot super far but still want good glass without some of the features (and added expense) that they don't need.