• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s My Wife's Experience at our local post office

Lockdown1243

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2011
Georgia
www.overwatcharms.com
I recently sold a gun to another member on here and asked my wife to ship it out for me this AM while I was at work. I have several friends who have shipped guns via FedEx and USPS so I figured it wouldn't be an issue getting a gun shipped, man was I wrong.

My wife goes into a local retailer and tells them she wants to ship the rifle (a LMT MWS 16") in the mail. The lady freaks out on her and tells her it is illegal for us to ship it...freaking moron. Well she goes to the local Post Office and tries to do the same thing. They give her the run around about the gun has to be COMPLETELY broken down and even went so far as to tell her to take the barrel out of the gun, then they eventually tell her they won't ship a gun PERIOD.

My wife called me to tell me about her issues she had. When I came home on lunch break from teaching at the local police academy (the irony I know), I printed out not only the USPS policy from their own F'ing website, I printed out material from the ATF stating we can ship a rifle as a private seller to a FFL with no issue.

She goes back to the post office with the law and policies in hand. It's right at shift change and one of the ladies in there whispered to the oncoming lady "She's trying to ship a gun, she can't do that". My wife heard her, called bullshit on them and slid their policy and the law over the counter to them. My wife said something to the effect of "Would you like to keep this so you don't give people a hard time anymore?" . The smart ass C*&T behind the counter responds with "Oh we are going to give you a hard time, guns are dangerous". My wife responded with "No stupid people like you are dangerous, so please ship my gun now".

They eventually agreed to it only after my wife threatened to call the local sheriff, who we happen to be friends with out to the post office to educate the morons further. So with that said, this is exactly why our country is screwed. We are surrounded by a bunch of tree hugging hippie liberal fairies who are scared of their own shadow. I'm truly proud to know their are other right minded people like yourselves out their. Oh and to the Federal Government who we all know probably hops on here, please go fuck yourselves and protect those of us who obey the laws and actually love America.

Re: My Wife's Experience at our local post office

We have the same issues here in central Ohio with our postmaster. Showed her the regs and had the BATFE call here and explain it to her.

We now hit the "easy" button and have a local FFL take our already packaged item to the USPS and drop it off for us. It's still BS! but, it's simpler than dealing with the Bit*h of a postmaster.

Dumb "woman" at Fed Ex tried to make me pay overnight rates to send a rifle in for work - couldn't read her own policy. At least her boss had half a brain and shut the nonsense down. Is it shocking the IDIOT looked like an obama(sama) supporter (and you KNOW what I mean)?

My local FedEx doesn't even raise an eyebrow. I will count myself lucky.

Dang, Lockdown, I'm surprised that happened here in Georgia! Where do you live, Buddy?

[Mr. Macky]<span style="color: #009900">Gun are bad, mmmkay.</span>[/Mr. Macky]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mj2evans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dumb "woman" at Fed Ex tried to make me pay overnight rates to send a rifle in for work - couldn't read her own policy. At least her boss had half a brain and shut the nonsense down. Is it shocking the IDIOT looked like an obama(sama) supporter (and you KNOW what I mean)? </div></div>

I had to ship my M96 about 6 months back through FedEx but didn't declare it as a rifle. Declared it as "miscellaneous toy pieces" and insured it for $9k. When I asked hypothetically what their policy was on shipping firearms, they said overnight was required (which would've been $250+). Good thing it was a toy!

Can't say I would use the USPS but my local UPS branch was more than impressive when I sold a rifle to a fellow hide member. Walked in with it in the box all set to go, told them what I was shipping and had the papers to the FFL dealer I was shipping it to and was told no problem. Just had to fill out some typical shipping info and off it went. No hassel, attitude or the like. Very professional. Was a little hesitant at first when I went in but now won't hesitate to give them my business again.

Flyingbullseye

I just had to ship a rifle back to LWRC, it was leaving from my shop in Jersey, the Fex Ex guy came, I gave him the box and said " Fed Ex is requiring me to tell you there is a rifle in the box", he looked at me,smiled and said, " I don't F ing care" threw the box in, and drove off.... lol

Flyingbullseye,

I avoid the USPS like the plague for shipping anything. Unfortunately the hippy at the UPS store today tried to pull the same shit. I was told by a friend just a few minutes ago who is an FFL that the magical phrase is "Law Enforcement Supplies" and you are good to go
smile.gif

Heck, Lockdown, that' still good ole boy territory out there, well at least to some extent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lockdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flyingbullseye,

I avoid the USPS like the plague for shipping anything. Unfortunately the hippy at the UPS store today tried to pull the same shit. I was told by a friend just a few minutes ago who is an FFL that the magical phrase is "Law Enforcement Supplies" and you are good to go
smile.gif
</div></div>

Good to know if I ever need it but as I mentioned the UPS branch here is good to go. Couldn't have been a better experience.

Flyingbullseye

I have delt with that one before. Depends on the guy taking the gun. If I remeber you have to tell the person you first give the gun to it is a gun and that is all. No one else needs to know. Makes sense ha. That may have been only UPS policy. The last guy I delt with was great. Then again he would come out to my place and shoot gophers also.

I found out last year that apparently while you can ship guns via UPS, you may not be able to do it from a UPS 'store'. You know, the ones that do copying, sell supplies, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heck, Lockdown, that' still good ole boy territory out there, well at least to some extent.
</div></div>

Well like I said, I did threaten to call the Sheriff out there. He actually would have come too. These ladies looked a lot more like Waffle House waitresses and not Obamabots. That is what really threw me off how they treated my wife. Who knows, maybe it's because she was shipping off 1k rounds of brass and a MWS while carrying two kids.....

Local UPS store had kittens, cows and demons when I shipped a STOCK yes as in STOCK not the rifle just the damn STOCK. She acted like I was sending a full auto rifle to lee harvey oswald.

If it wasn't for one of the drivers who was picking up that morning, who jumped into her freak out, its a stock we ship these all the time. He apologized and she was shaking, I am dead serious when I said nothing other than the word "stock". Surprised she didn't need oxygen.

When I walk in to ship stuff now, she still asks and I have not sent any gun components but I did send an old video card to a buddy. She asked whats in the box, I said, top secret stuff, its electronic. She got nervous and said OK, just as long as it isn't gun stuff.

People are getting so damn strange lately, I just don't get it.

It is a pain in the ass when these assholes act like that. I now have UPS pick up from my home and I don't tell them shit. I just insure it for the needed amount online and print out the label. I haven't had another problem since. I do thank you for putting up with the dipshits and getting the rifle out. My biggest issue with USPS is if you try to track something they tell you to wait until it is there before they can track it. Total fucking joke.

I had a similar experience ... its the UPS Store specifically "UPS Stores". If you go to any mailbox etc or any other mail provider ... no issue what so ever. I think there is a clause in the franchise agreement.

When I shipped my rifle to California to have it painted I took it to a local mailbox location and sent it UPS ... she (the owner) had no idea how to do it -- she called UPS and they told her how to package it and how to insure it. they were very helpful on the phone. We had no issues with UPS. Now the "UPS store" across the street -- just said nope no way ..get out your are Satan's spawn.

However there is justice ... the UPS store went out of business about 3 months after.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aac_shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a pain in the ass when these assholes act like that. I now have UPS pick up from my home and I don't tell them shit. I just insure it for the needed amount online and print out the label. I haven't had another problem since. I do thank you for putting up with the dipshits and getting the rifle out. My biggest issue with USPS is if you try to track something they tell you to wait until it is there before they can track it. Total fucking joke. </div></div>

Yeah I do apologize for you not being able to track it. Like I said, if there is even something small wrong please let me know and I will go in there and start flipping stuff over and throwing poo at people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lockdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently sold a gun to another member on here and asked my wife to ship it out for me this AM while I was at work. I have several friends who have shipped guns via FedEx and USPS so I figured it wouldn't be an issue getting a gun shipped, man was I wrong.

My wife goes into a local retailer and tells them she wants to ship the rifle (a LMT MWS 16") in the mail. The lady freaks out on her and tells her it is illegal for us to ship it...freaking moron. Well she goes to the local Post Office and tries to do the same thing. They give her the run around about the gun has to be COMPLETELY broken down and even went so far as to tell her to take the barrel out of the gun, then they eventually tell her they won't ship a gun PERIOD.

My wife called me to tell me about her issues she had. When I came home on lunch break from teaching at the local police academy (the irony I know), I printed out not only the USPS policy from their own F'ing website, I printed out material from the ATF stating we can ship a rifle as a private seller to a FFL with no issue.

She goes back to the post office with the law and policies in hand. It's right at shift change and one of the ladies in there whispered to the oncoming lady "She's trying to ship a gun, she can't do that". My wife heard her, called bullshit on them and slid their policy and the law over the counter to them. My wife said something to the effect of "Would you like to keep this so you don't give people a hard time anymore?" . The smart ass C*&T behind the counter responds with "Oh we are going to give you a hard time, guns are dangerous". My wife responded with <span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">"No stupid people like you are dangerous, so please ship my gun now".</span> </span>They eventually agreed to it only after my wife threatened to call the local sheriff, who we happen to be friends with out to the post office to educate the morons further. So with that said, this is exactly why our country is screwed. We are surrounded by a bunch of tree hugging hippie liberal fairies who are scared of their own shadow. I'm truly proud to know their are other right minded people like yourselves out their. Oh and to the Federal Government who we all know probably hops on here, please go fuck yourselves and protect those of us who obey the laws and actually love America. </div></div>

Best reply ever. My wife would have just gotten mad and came home and told me to deal with the stupid fuckers myself......

I guess it's just the luck of the draw. I have had nothing but problems trying to ship firearms thru UPS.

I have had no problems using the USPS.

Sooooooooooo thankful I can ship my stuff UPS from our office...

...and that my local USPS ladies are totally cool about shipping firearms.

I am sure it will be fine. It just sucks that it has to be so difficult to take care of business. It is usually a lack of knowledge on their part.

I just shipped a gun USPS last week, no problems at all, had a friendly chat with the guy behind the counter about him shipping his 1911's USPS. It's nice not to live in a commie state.

Man had just about the same problem today up here in the NE corner of Ga. I stopped off at the UPS store and asked if I could ship a rifle, guy said nope no way no how. I said you know it is legal for me to ship this to an FFL dealer. He said not here. So I said alrighty then and to keep from an argument I just turned around and walked out. Went right down the street to the local PO in town. Walked in and asked if I can ship my rifle to an FFL. Well the lady at the counter said let me ask somebody else to make sure. Then she asked another lady also, who then came out and said the only way I could ship it from USPS was I would have to use my FFL and get him to use FFL license to ship to the other FFL dealer, keep in mind rifle not pistol. They said you get his FFL and there won't be any problems except that it will cost me another 25 or 35 to ship that way. So off I head to the next county over.On the way I call the PO in town over and ask what it would take and if I could ship a rifle myself to an FFL dealer. The nice lady says give me your number and I'll call you back in a few and let you know what you have to do. 5 min. later she calls back tells me how to package it which I already had done and said no big deal bring it on in. Got in town walk in laid the rifle on the counter and was out in less than 5 minutes with no issues at all. This blows my mind how one post office will and the next will not. Same with the UPS stores. I don't know if they need to rewrite the rule book so some people can understand it or what the deal is but man, it sure is aggravating every time you want to ship something that is legal to own and legal to ship and be treated like a criminal or worse because they don't understand or agree with you. Guess Ron White was right when he said you can't fix stupid. But in my opinion it should be a law for you to try to knock the stupid out of some dumb ass that needs it. Well feel a little better now.

I recently shipped some ammo using the same ORM-D box that came from the vendor. When I got to the UPS, the guy checked with someone on the phone, and they said the titles were reversed, i.e., I had to swap the ORM-D designator and the "small arms, cartridges." I asked them if that made sense-- blank stares. So, I wrote the "corrected" order on white stickers and pasted them on right there.

In the end, they were wrong, but I got my packages shipped.

Sad but true. That happened to me too. I politely pointed out to theem that you can ship a rifle as long as it is unloaded and is inspected by a post office person that it is unloaded. I evenhad one guy saying that he didnt know how to check it. Go figure...

No problem with the Carson City FedEx here in NV. In CA the gal behind the FedEx counter freaked out when I told her I was shipping a rifle stock! Yes, it was a McMillan A1/HTG going to OR. I had to take it to UPS. I agree with the comment above that there is a wide variation between offices of the same shipping company when shipping gun-related stuff, except maybe optics.

Guys, its not UPS that wont ship guns, its the franchise UPS stores. They are in no way affiliated with UPS other than being a drop off point for packages. It is in their regulations that they will not accept firearms for shipping. With some of the people I have seen behind the counters at UPS stores, I wouldnt want to have them ship it anyway.

Bill

My local PO accepts them with a smile.

I ship out rifles all the time at our local USPS office... I have the same old lady that I go to and she has no problem...

I tried to ship a rifle stock at a UPS store, not the main hub, They told me it is against there policy that they cannot ship ANY gun related parts,scopes. And that I would have to drive 35 miles across town to the main hub.

here's the catch guys... the UPS store is indepentently owned.. they can refuse... most will, if for no other reason than they don't have secure storage until the driver comes to get it..

under the postal regulations the local postmaster can refuse too.. and several will

even if you can get a UPS or fedex store to take it, they often won't do it unless you pay for overnight... them being greedy

if you're lucky you have a postmaster that isn't antigun and will take it, otherwise hope you have a hub close...

if neither of these... get an online account for UPS or FedEx and package it, print the label, and they'll come pick it up

pick up is the easiest way... no hassle at all... unless you're like me and a 5min drive to the hub.

The idiots also wanted my wife to take the barrel out of the gun too. My wife flipped shit on them when they told her this and refused to do so. The good thing about my wife is she doesn't take crap from anyone at anytime. Sure it's an MWS, I could have taken the barrel out, but it's not right so I'm glad my wife told them to stick it. I'm planning on writing a letter to them and will be happy to post a link here when I do. I can understand the local UPS store refusing to ship it a lot more than a post office which SHOULD train their employees on regulations.

can't fix stupid. i always take my rifles to the UPS terminal and they don't hassle me at all. If I insure it for 3K the manager has to come out and look at it. And, most of the time he/she comes out and say, nice, now package it up and ship it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here's the catch guys... the UPS store is indepentently owned.. they can refuse... most will, if for no other reason than they don't have secure storage until the driver comes to get it..

under the postal regulations the local postmaster can refuse too.. and several will

even if you can get a UPS or fedex store to take it, they often won't do it unless you pay for overnight... them being greedy

if you're lucky you have a postmaster that isn't antigun and will take it, otherwise hope you have a hub close...

if neither of these... get an online account for UPS or FedEx and package it, print the label, and they'll come pick it up

pick up is the easiest way... no hassle at all... unless you're like me and a 5min drive to the hub. </div></div>

This is what the driver told me to do from now on, however I just use the local gun shop I order to for outgoings.

It gets worse, I have been a FFL for over 20 years, even though perfectly legal, many FFLs will not except guns shipped to them by individuals, of course they are private a business and have that right but many think it's illegal..I just shipped a gun personal to Charter Arms, they tell customers to state its machined parts....as far as our country, the world, we are so screwed..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It gets worse, I have been a FFL for over 20 years, even though perfectly legal, many FFLs will not except guns shipped to them by individuals, of course they are private a business and have that right but many think it's illegal..I just shipped a gun personal to Charter Arms, they tell customers to state its machined parts....as far as our country, the world, we are so screwed.. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more with you.

I sent my Browning O/U back to the factory thru USPS , only glitch is I had to show them what I was shipping in front of the postmaster ( which happens to be a woman ) and that was it ...
But we get a lot of wierd looks from people who come into our offices at work ...everyone here is pro-gun ... Animal Mounts on the walls , gun parts / ammo cans everywhere on our desks and floors , gun mags in shitters , etc....
You can just look at their faces and tell they are freaked out ...LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell 'em you're shipping "tools". It's not a lie, you know. </div></div>

So very true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gildoom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Local UPS store had kittens, cows and demons when I shipped a STOCK yes as in STOCK not the rifle just the damn STOCK. She acted like I was sending a full auto rifle to lee harvey oswald.
</div></div>
I can understand people getting freaked when you mention guns, but when it's just PARTS and they get their panties all in a bunch, that just boggles my mind! I've shipped barrels, stocks, small parts, and I would state "non-functioning firearms parts"...people would still go nuts. What am I gonna do, beat you with the barrel? People just don't think! Your car doesn't function when it's in pieces, NO mechanical device does, yet somehow firearms parts are still "bad, dangerous," etc.

I used to use the non-firing antique replica excuse, still caused some trouble. Now I just say custom steel parts.

I had to ship my stock back to manners (it just got there today) and Tom asked me to ship my barreled action in aswell so they could get the fit perfect and do a little bit of bedding so I was a little worried about it at first because of all the problems everyone always seem to have.

I didn't have a single problem. I taped up my gun case with the bolt out (wrapped in bubble wrap) put it in a box. Taped the shit out of the box so that it wouldn't break open. Then printed a shipping label online. Tapped that guy on there and took it to a ups hub (which I found out there is one 7minutes from my house) and handed the package to the guy, showed him the ffl, told him it was a rifle and he signed the paper that printed with my label and I was on my way.

By far the best experience i've ever had with a shipping company.

This is what happens....
when people are taught to be afraid--

I just let the shipper know theyre expensive steel tubes.

I guess i have been lucky. I have not had a single problem shipping guns or parts at my local USPS outlet. the lady just takes the package and ships it

I've had both success and failure shipping through the USPS. It really depends on the branch location, and the amount of education they have at the counter.

Now I typically ship in split shipments (one box for barrel & action, and one box for stock and accessories) if I'm not going through my local post office. A little more in shipping fees, but less "BS" at the counter.

Still sucks to hear about your wife getting the crappy end around.