• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My WTF car dealership moments of the week

OK, getting though most of this thread. Shortages on ammo, shortages on reloading supplies, previously a shortage on firearms that seems to be easing, shortages on meat, shortages on vehicles,

Can someone tell me (besides BS national leadership) what is not in short supply?
A very timely question. Recently made a re-supply trip. The bigger "flash in the pan" items seem to be filling the shelves. The small, consumable things are starting to run low.... Replacement blades for a Gillette shaver, your favorite fragrance deodorant, The durable work socks you have worn for years, the XL T-shirts you have worn for years (the Smalls and 4X are well stocked), Digital Woodland Camo, durable foot ware in your size, the less popular size car tires..... Perhaps unique to my area "Mini Storage Warehouses" are rented before the construction is completed.....

No issues with chicken/pork/beef, paper products, baking goods, milk, eggs, anything from the local Meijer or Kroger in over a year.

Never had an issue filling my tanks with gasoline.

Never had an issue finding my preferred cheap bastard bourbons (Four Roses Small Batch & Buffalo Trace).

Recently made a re-supply trip. The bigger "flash in the pan" items seem to be filling the shelves. The small, consumable things are starting to run low.... Replacement blades for a Gillette shaver, your favorite fragrance deodorant, The durable work socks you have worn for years, the XL T-shirts you have worn for years

LOL where in the fuck do you live?

There is nothing I can't find in stores where I live.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Here is some mustang and general EV fodder for you fellas. Not as good as advertised.

That article is retarded. Only a fucking moron buys an electric car without installing a 240V charger at home. But I expect nothing else from Californians.

My EV tripping point has three milestones
  • 500 mile range
  • Public charging station density similar to that of gas stations today
  • Charging time from 10% to 100% in 10 min or less
Once we're there I'm done with internal combustion engines and all their maintenance bullshit and failure points.

I'll ride up and pick up a Remington 700, long action in 300WM.
Can't help you there. I don't go to gun stores.

I clicky-click on the internet and the pawn shop ffl I use calls me to go get them.

My folks had a garage sale after my mom's hoarding almost broke my dad. I went over to help them set up and watched as people literally bought a 5 year old half empty bottle of clearance perfume , a 20 year old no name battery operated saw with no batteries, and toothbrushes...who the hell buys toothbrushes from a garage sale. People were throwing money at them for broken garbage and getting into arguments over this crap.

• Haha
I keep pushing the idea that the only way an electric powered transportation system will work is with vehicles containing easily replaceable universal batteries. This, combined with a service station type centers that keep freshly charged batteries that an attendant changes in a matter of minutes. The service centers would charge by the kilowatts in the fresh battery. This is a far better alternative opposed too sitting for hours waiting for your rare earth, Permanent battery to be charged. A 300 mile trip just won’t work for so much of rural America. America IS a large country and the city folks who love their subways somehow never see past the end of the subway ride.

Often forgotten in this massive rush to electrify, electricity is not free. GOD does not shoot down a bolt of lightning, every time one wants a battery charged. Rare earth batteries are not free either, as the mining of the batteries is not a pollution free event. Those big strip mines need big diesel powered power shovels and trucks and stamp mills and refineries. Somehow, someway all these things are totally forgotten.

Then there is the pollution comparison. A tiny electric vehicle is always compared to a large, gasoline powered SUV. The electrify greenies always tout how much less pollution the tiny, very aero sedan creates.

I would love to see how that polution free that tiny electric sedan would be pulling the 7000 pound trailer, my old 2000 3/4 ton Suburban pulls with ease (all the time getting better fuel mileage than my first full sized pickup trick.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravenworks
I don't think you understand how brutally fast some electric cars are.........

True dat. Not my thing...yet. Once they significantly reduce charge times and get the average range to 400 plus, they will have arrived. EVs for (real) trucks is probably well in the future. I don't see them replacing mouse and rat motors for gearheads in my lifetime. Once a generation has grownup on electric, that will most likely change.

The NHRA now has an EV class.

2018 The TC-X electric door slammer made a perfect run at 7.98 seconds at the dragstrip at Mantorp Park in Sweden piloted by Glenn Nielsen, and since the previous run was 7.99, this confirmed the new world record. Top speed was 274 km/h (170 mph).

My folks had a garage sale after my mom's hoarding almost broke my dad. I went over to help them set up and watched as people literally bought a 5 year old half empty bottle of clearance perfume , a 20 year old no name battery operated saw with no batteries, and toothbrushes...who the hell buys toothbrushes from a garage sale. People were throwing money at them for broken garbage and getting into arguments over this crap.

Used toothbrushes are good for cleaning grout in corners. Still wouldn't buy one, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
The country isn't going to move to EVs overnight.

And let's be honest, EVs are still a status symbol priced beyond that of comparable internal combustion vehicles even considering the $7500 tax rebate.

The more EVs are adopted in urban and suburban centers where 300 miles of range is MORE than sufficient for many commuter & fleet vehicles, the more battery technology will be improved/cost reduced, the more charging infrastructure will be built out, and the more viable EVs will become in the vast swaths of rural areas in our country.

Until then - renewables like solar will have to become cheaper and more efficient, grid storage of renewables will have to be cheaper, electricity grids will have to be expanded and hardened, NIMBYs will have to get over wind turbine farms, and we'll need more generation capability from non-weather dependent sources.

We'll be burnin' gas & diesel for decades to come...

I was hit by a drunk driver, 85 MPH head on impact. In the emergency room, right after they cut all of my clothes off, I grabbed the arm of the nearest nurse and asked, “Were my underwear clean?”

She replied, “I think so. Why?”

I said, “My mom was always worried about me getting in an accident and having dirty underwear.”

Back in HS a friend and I were in an accident. My bud was moderately injured, but not life threatning. I was in the ER with him when his parents got there. The first words out of his mom's mouth after, "Are you all right?" She then turned to her husband and said, "Look at his socks." Back to Bud and preceeded to dress him down for wearing dirty, holey socks.

Reactions: EddieNFL
I keep pushing the idea that the only way an electric powered transportation system will work is with vehicles containing easily replaceable universal batteries. This, combined with a service station type centers that keep freshly charged batteries that an attendant changes in a matter of minutes. The service centers would charge by the kilowatts in the fresh battery. This is a far better alternative opposed too sitting for hours waiting for your rare earth, Permanent battery to be charged. A 300 mile trip just won’t work for so much of rural America. America IS a large country and the city folks who love their subways somehow never see past the end of the subway ride.

Often forgotten in this massive rush to electrify, electricity is not free. GOD does not shoot down a bolt of lightning, every time one wants a battery charged. Rare earth batteries are not free either, as the mining of the batteries is not a pollution free event. Those big strip mines need big diesel powered power shovels and trucks and stamp mills and refineries. Somehow, someway all these things are totally forgotten.

Then there is the pollution comparison. A tiny electric vehicle is always compared to a large, gasoline powered SUV. The electrify greenies always tout how much less pollution the tiny, very aero sedan creates.

I would love to see how that polution free that tiny electric sedan would be pulling the 7000 pound trailer, my old 2000 3/4 ton Suburban pulls with ease (all the time getting better fuel mileage than my first full sized pickup trick.)

Not disagreeing with anything you said re pollution and free rides. You're 100% correct.

I think where we disagree is that you see the charging time status quo and appears you don't think that will ever improve. I'm a technology optimist and I know that once engineers are given a challenge they will meet it.

When the challenge was go to the moon and back in 10 years even though right now we have no clue how, engineers made it happen.

If the challenge is make a full size EV with 4-500 mile range charge up from 0 to 100% in 10 minutes when it now takes hours, engineers will make it happen.

I do think your idea of easily swappable battery modules is pretty cool.

There are EV powertrains that fit in your Suburban and will destroy any big block V8 when it comes to torque and towing ability. The Tesla Model S is not a tiny clown car. Some of you guys have some comical stereotypes of what an EV is or will be in the very near future.

Last edited:
Think about the energy required to charge a battery capable of 500 miles in 10 minutes.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that's a 150kWh battery. To go from depleted to full in just 10 minutes would require a sustained 900kWh charge rate! For comparison, Tesla V3 Superchargers are only good for a max of 250kWh.

I keep pushing the idea that the only way an electric powered transportation system will work is with vehicles containing easily replaceable universal batteries. This, combined with a service station type centers that keep freshly charged batteries that an attendant changes in a matter of minutes. The service centers would charge by the kilowatts in the fresh battery. This is a far better alternative opposed too sitting for hours waiting for your rare earth, Permanent battery to be charged.
They've tried/trying this. While I see your point, I don't think it's the solution. I certainly don't want my new battery in my new EV to be switched out with who knows how old and depleted a battery you get. Then other's are going to take in a dead battery and then replace it with a new one then rinse and repeat.

Reactions: EddieNFL
You don't have to fully recharge the battery. Only enough to get you to where you're going and then top off the battery at night while you're sleeping.

It's just a matter of time. Every major business is putting in free charging stations. Houses will be built with 220 in the garage. It's easily added and really not that expensive. You already have 220 coming in and your dryer runs on it. We'll see more voltage being sent to homes to increase the charging speeds. And I guarantee we'll see a leap in technology in charging soon.

Think about the energy required to charge a battery capable of 500 miles in 10 minutes.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that's a 150kWh battery. To go from depleted to full in just 10 minutes would require a sustained 900kWh charge rate! For comparison, Tesla V3 Superchargers are only good for a max of 250kWh.

Stop trying to solve the problem with technology that we have access to today. I don't know how the fast charging issue will be solved, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that it won't be solved using the technology that we can buy now.

To follow up with the lunar landing analogy, your statement is like someone in 1960 trying to explain how we can't go to the moon with a Redstone or Atlas rocket.

Anyway, battery charging time calculations are done with Ampere-hours, not Kw-h

Reactions: Choid and RGStory
I don't think you understand how brutally fast some electric cars are.........
Yep, seen a couple in action, but, since I'm "Old School", I want my vehicles to vibrate, rumble, make some noise, smell, just like they do now. You can have those E.V.'s, mostly in Metro areas, that's where they would do the most good. Me, I live out in a rural area, and still like to travel, so, those things ain't going to be much good to a "Boomer" like myself. Mac(y)

You can have those E.V.'s, mostly in Metro areas, that's where they would do the most good. Me, I live out in a rural area, and still like to travel, so, those things ain't going to be much good to a "Boomer" like myself. Mac(y)
I don't know how old you are but I would not bet against EVs being useful as your only car, no matter where you live, within your and my lifetime.

And I'm 55.

Batteries and charging have come a long way in the past 10 years.

battery power tools now outperform the plug in models. Mostly because that’s where all the research and development has been going.

I have no doubt that the battery and charging will get where we need them to be.

Imo the battery/charging is a smaller issue than how to get all that power to the house. We can barely keep the lights on as it is in the summer/winter. How the fuck are we going to get enough power online to charge all these damn cars when we can barley keep the AC running as it is.

the power for these EVs gotta come from somewhere. More spinning blades clogging up the country side isn’t going to cut it.

I can't wait to see homes/neighborhoods, start lighting up and burning down, because, people are stupid and somebody will figure out a way to double (vague term) charge the damn thing, because, in a hurry ya know, or, F! I forgot to plug the car in last night and I got's to go to Wally World!
Glad it won't be in my lifetime. Mac🍿🍿

Imo the battery/charging is a smaller issue than how to get all that power to the house. We can barely keep the lights on as it is in the summer/winter. How the fuck are we going to get enough power online to charge all these damn cars when we can barley keep the AC running as it is.

the power for these EVs gotta come from somewhere. More spinning blades clogging up the country side isn’t going to cut it.
This is the biggest problem no one's talking about.

Reactions: Jumper
I can't wait to see homes/neighborhoods, start lighting up and burning down, because, people are stupid and somebody will figure out a way to double (vague term) charge the damn thing, because, in a hurry ya know, or, F! I forgot to plug the car in last night and I got's to go to Wally World!

That's not how it works.

Reactions: Bullfrog08
Only thing about nuclear that scares me is the after effects when something goes wrong. It’s so terrifyingly bad.

Generation 4 reactors are significantly different to what we have today. Their safety is orders of magnitude greater, not only in the probability of occurrence of a worst case accident, but also in its consequences.

TRISO fuel promises to be a game changer.

Stop trying to solve the problem with technology that we have access to today. I don't know how the fast charging issue will be solved, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that it won't be solved using the technology that we can buy now.

To follow up with the lunar landing analogy, your statement is like someone in 1960 trying to explain how we can't go to the moon with a Redstone or Atlas rocket.
That's my entire point - the technology will have to improve multiple orders of magnitude to "solve the fast charging issue".

We'll get there eventually as battery technology improves, but we're not anywhere close yet.

Anyway, battery charging time calculations are done with Ampere-hours, not Kw-h
At the risk of sounding like a dick (not my intent), you know Ah can be converted to kWh with simple math, right?

amp-hours-to-kilowatt-hours-formula.png

Look at the advertised specifications for any EV - you don't see "XX amp-hours at XX volts", you see "XX kWh".

My barn PV system has two 12 volt, 206Ah LiFePo4 batteries wired in series. My battery bank is 206Ah at 24 volts...or 5kWh capacity.

Nuclear might have the capacity if they start building 3or 4 in most states right now. But mass adoption of EV's that are even remotely as capable as a gas or diesel truck will never happen. The CEO of Toyota said recently there isn't enough electricity to electrify all the vehicles. Forget that if you could produce it, you couldn't get it to where it's needed on today's power grid. And as far as "give engineers a problem to solve and they will do it", engineers still answer to the laws of physics. And physics says there's no free lunch. The laws of thermodynamics govern everything. When they electrify a Boeing 777, then will the energy density of batteries equal hydrocarbons. Until then, every electric vehicle is a huge compromise/step backwards. But it will never happen.

When they electrify a Boeing 777, then will the energy density of batteries equal hydrocarbons.
Transport-category aircraft will be among the very last things electrified...cuz nobody wants to put even a tiny reactor in an airplane.

We'll be in our Jetsonmobiles, beamed up by Scotty or using Rick Sanchez portal guns before that happens.

They've tried/trying this. While I see your point, I don't think it's the solution. I certainly don't want my new battery in my new EV to be switched out with who knows how old and depleted a battery you get. Then other's are going to take in a dead battery and then replace it with a new one then rinse and repeat.
You would only be paying for the electricity stored in the battery. if the battery being swapped is not capable of taking a full charge, you would not pay for a full charge. When batteries reach a certain age/weakness, they are recycled, unlike the rare earth, permanent batteries that are so prevalent in todays evs

LOL where in the fuck do you live?

There is nothing I can't find in stores where I live.
Better start paying attention because I live south of Cleveland and have noticed stuff being irregular since COVID started.
If you look around now a lot if stuff hasn't returned.
Something simple like deodorant that was $2.50 last year is $6.75 as of yesterday.
I shop twice a week and can tell you that fruits and vegetable suck or are not available.

I can tell you that during the 60's-80's in Ohio we had three of the largest power shovels in the world 🌎 and they were electric.
Look it up sometime because the technology was way ahead of its time.

Then came the Silver-Spade and the Big-Muskie.
They dwarfed the three shovels above.
Fun time to be a kid

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Nuclear might have the capacity if they start building 3or 4 in most states right now. But mass adoption of EV's that are even remotely as capable as a gas or diesel truck will never happen. The CEO of Toyota said recently there isn't enough electricity to electrify all the vehicles. Forget that if you could produce it, you couldn't get it to where it's needed on today's power grid. And as far as "give engineers a problem to solve and they will do it", engineers still answer to the laws of physics. And physics says there's no free lunch. The laws of thermodynamics govern everything. When they electrify a Boeing 777, then will the energy density of batteries equal hydrocarbons. Until then, every electric vehicle is a huge compromise/step backwards. But it will never happen.
The laws of physics aren’t the problem. The problem is paying to rewire the entire country and hardening everything, along with enough power generation.

Better start paying attention because I live south of Cleveland and have noticed stuff being irregular since COVID started.
If you look around now a lot if stuff hasn't returned.
Something simple like deodorant that was $2.50 last year is $6.75 as of yesterday.
I shop twice a week and can tell you that fruits and vegetable suck or are not available.
We did our major grocery haul a few days ago and had zero trouble finding anything we wanted.

Deodorant $6.75? What are you using?

This is what I buy: https://www.kroger.com/p/speed-stick-regular-deodorant/0002220094152?fulfillment=PICKUP less than two bucks.

Reactions: Bullfrog08
The laws of physics aren’t the problem. The problem is paying to rewire the entire country and hardening everything, along with enough power generation.
People are being idiots about EV and your post is 100% it.
People think their electric bills are going up now, wait a few years.

The majority talking about EV have no clue as to what it takes to make this happen.
We're already falling behind because people are stuck of wind and solar.
You still need big oil and maybe even more to make the products above.
Let's not forget about what it take to make a battery.
Read those articles I posted above about coal, mining coal us child's play compared to mining materials to make batteries

None of this makes any sense

We did our major grocery haul a few days ago and had zero trouble finding anything we wanted.

Deodorant $6.75? What are you using?

This is what I buy: https://www.kroger.com/p/speed-stick-regular-deodorant/0002220094152?fulfillment=PICKUP less than two bucks.
I use the manly stuff the taught me to use in the men's department of theNavy.
I'm not going to get into debating you because you know about $0.50 worth a million things and in the real world that doesn't get shit done.

Charging time from 10% to 100% in 10 min or less

I don't need 100% of 500 miles. A recharge time of 20 mins for 300-350 miles, and I'd be good. As the batter approaches 100% charge the internal resistance increases, meaning you get more mileage per minute of charge at lower levels of charge. That last 20% takes the longest time to charge.

The latest advance I read was the introduction of the tabless 4680 batteries. Increased energy density, decreased charge time.

I assume this was a joke right? If this was a real risk, every rechargeable lithium battery would go burn up whenever someone left laptops, cell phones, power tools, flashlights, etc..... on the charger after it reached 100%.

I assume this was a joke right? If this was a real risk, every rechargeable lithium battery would go burn up whenever someone left laptops, cell phones, power tools, flashlights, etc..... on the charger after it reached 100%.

Not a joke. They are rushing to make these just like they rushed to make the other fire batteries.

I’m not rooting for anyone to lose their home because of it. But it’s a concern.

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-7-battery-fires-heres-why-they-exploded

Not a joke. They are rushing to make these just like they rushed to make the other fire batteries.

I’m not rooting for anyone to lose their home because of it. But it’s a concern.

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-7-battery-fires-heres-why-they-exploded
Pretty much all chargers for vehicles are microprocessor based and are programmed to monitor and control the charging and the state/health of the battery.

The software however, is written by ?

Hint; Humans.........

A reliable, effective Battery Management System is *critical* for Li battery safety, beyond quality of individual cells.

Did y'all know you shouldn't charge Li batteries if they're too hot or cold, lest you potentially damage them? Me neither, until I was looking at them to replace flooded acid golf cart batteries on my off-grid system. Thankfully BMS takes care of that for us, and BMS has only gotten better in the last few years.