• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Mystery ranch sawtooth vs pintler

Mobullets22

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2022
Missouri
Does anyone have first hand experience with the sawtooth vs the pintler. The sawtooth has slightly more capacity with less weight and a different zipper design. Curious if anyone has time with both and their thoughts

As described in previous threads, I am a self described pack a holic...I have the Mystery Ranch Longbow, which is basically the Pintler. I actually really like the zipper design on the Pintler, it was pretty innovative at the time. Mystery Ranch packs as a whole are generally heavier than their competition, but do carry loads well. Their description say's an overnight trip, but I could easily do 2-3 day trips with it if I packed smart. My buddy has the Sawtooth. Similar capacities, different zipper system, and not as many attachment points on the outside. If I had to choose, I would go Pintler if dead set on Mystery Ranch.

Mystery Ranch was and is an innovative company that has done a lot for the industry. I live in the same area as their headquarters, and have watched them grow and evolve. Unfortunately, they lost my business when they shipped their manufacturing overseas. Not trying to derail the thread, but that was the deal breaker for me. I do still have my MR pack though(Made in the USA version), it has been on quite a few trips.

FWIW, I made the switch to EXO packs a couple years ago and have never looked back. They are incredibly light, can carry massive loads, and are simple, functional, and durable. They are also a "one frame, many bag" concept, which is really handy.

As described in previous threads, I am a self described pack a holic...I have the Mystery Ranch Longbow, which is basically the Pintler. I actually really like the zipper design on the Pintler, it was pretty innovative at the time. Mystery Ranch packs as a whole are generally heavier than their competition, but do carry loads well. Their description say's an overnight trip, but I could easily do 2-3 day trips with it if I packed smart. My buddy has the Sawtooth. Similar capacities, different zipper system, and not as many attachment points on the outside. If I had to choose, I would go Pintler if dead set on Mystery Ranch.

Mystery Ranch was and is an innovative company that has done a lot for the industry. I live in the same area as their headquarters, and have watched them grow and evolve. Unfortunately, they lost my business when they shipped their manufacturing overseas. Not trying to derail the thread, but that was the deal breaker for me. I do still have my MR pack though(Made in the USA version), it has been on quite a few trips.

FWIW, I made the switch to EXO packs a couple years ago and have never looked back. They are incredibly light, can carry massive loads, and are simple, functional, and durable. They are also a "one frame, many bag" concept, which is really handy.
I appreciate the feedback. I am unsure about the 270 degree zipper on the sawtooth. I also was not sure if the 3 way zipper on the pintler got “annoying”

I actually like the 3 way zipper quite a bit. I was worried it wouldn't be as stout as some of the other designs, but mine held up great. Proved to be pretty handy to access the inside of your pack.

I actually like the 3 way zipper quite a bit. I was worried it wouldn't be as stout as some of the other designs, but mine held up great. Proved to be pretty handy to access the inside of your pack.
Good to know. Really wish I could get my hands on both. The pintler seems to have years and years of feedback while the sawtooth is fairly new. I am sure both are great packs. The sawtooth seems to be less “busy”. Might order the pintler and see how I like it

I would mimic what shields said about EXO. They are a little rediculous on how awesome they are, but they are expensive.

I would mimic what shields said about EXO. They are a little rediculous on how awesome they are, but they are expensive.
They do look pretty nice but yeah pricy. The mystery ranch sawtooth is on sale right now for 350 and seems like for the price might be a good buy

just picked up the sawtooth a couple months ago. still haven't packed any meat out with it. Have done a few miles shed hunting with a 50lb bag of sand in it. plus other things like spotting scope, cook stove, gopro gear, extra clothes. I haven't owned another pack to compare it to but i love the guidlite MT frame! Plus it packs up nicely when not packing as much!

They do look pretty nice but yeah pricy. The mystery ranch sawtooth is on sale right now for 350 and seems like for the price might be a good buy
Thats because its made overseas, You are paying $300+ for an imported pack made with slave labor vs a real one made in the US.

Kifaru, EXO and Stone Glaicer all make superior products, lifetime warranties and repairs for life. Kifaru customer service sucks dick tho.