• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision N-vision Halo LR Bobro Mount

BamaSE

Chairborne Squad Commander
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
Dothan, Alabama
I have a Bobro mount ordered and on the way for my Halo LR which is mounted on a Q Fix .308. The Bobro pushes the scope back a bit further towards one’s eye which is one reason I ordered it…..and had meant to make the swap a few months back when I got the scope…..but the primary reason that prompted me to proceed is I cannot get an acceptable return to zero out of the stock ADM mount. Acceptable by my standards being less than 1” at 100 yards.

Yesterday I spent a few hours at the range working with the mount trying to tighten the groups after removing the scope and putting it back on the rifle. I changed rail locations, tightened the mount, loosened the mount, tried various mounting procedures of pushing the scope forward…….pushing in from one side while slowing pushing the latch……even wobbling it while latching……even came home for lunch and cleaned the rifle before going back…..and no matter what I did stayed at a 2-3” change of zero after putting the scope back on. And yep, also double checked the mount was tightened correctly to the scope.

As a comparison, I have a day scope with a 2 lever ADM mount I tested on the the same rifle and RTZ was within 1” and really closer to 1/2”. I am thinking whatever is causing the zero deviation is something about the Halo LR single lever ADM mount not liking the interface with the Fix rail.…..or even the .308 bolt action recoil having an effect???….. but did not take the time to test on another rifle to get results. I have the mount tightened as far as it will go and still clamp. No problem zeroing the scope back in and it staying that way prior to removal….so I am not thinking a scope issue at all.

Anyway, on to questions and feedback from others.
1) Anyone had any similar experience with RTZ from the ADM Halo LR mount? If so did you find a trick to improve RTZ?
2) Anyone swapped to the Bobro mount? If so what RTZ results have you gotten?

It is not a big deal if I continue to leave the Halo LR attached to the Fix. This is really a dedicated thermal setup. And it holds zero fine unless detached from the rifle. I had gotten the idea to have a day scope on standby to swap out for occasional use. And even if RTZ with the Bobro is elusive I will at least get the benefit of better eye relief. But I will be a little disappointed if I cannot swap scopes and will appreciate any feedback on getting it to work before I forget about it and move on. Thanks.

Last edited:
having the mount crazy tight is not the correct way. almost all rail/ring interface suffers from false bind and in turn causes a failure of rtz. lossen the mount until you can latch it without much more than thumb pressure. apply a thing film of grease or light oil to the rail interface of the mount and the rail. it sounds counter intuitive but you want the mount to not bind and actually have a "float" to it. this should be done on all optic mounts and rail no matter the system.

Reactions: wigwamitus
Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense….I have noticed when the Bobro mounts clamp they seem “light”. I loosened up the ADM on one set but probably not enough. When I wrapped up I tightened up as much as possible but since zeroed for now will leave it be until I swap it out with the Bobro. Will report back on results with the new mount too.

bobro has a great design with self adjusting/loading clamp design which for sure will help

A follow up on this thread. My Bobro mount did not show up last Friday like it was supposed to……which gave me an opportunity to try again on the RTZ with the ADM before making the swap. Spent some time at the range Saturday taking it on and off and dialing one notch at a time tightening it…..from barely having to press the latch to a firm push. Still could not get anything less than 3 inches when removing and replacing. On one of the looser settings I even got as far as 8” off target. I think there is just something on the Fix rail combined with the bolt gun recoil the ADM just does not like.

During my sets I was also getting a parallel line across the screen every other shot or so. It NUCed out…..but it got me thinking the ADM mount issue may be related to recoil on the Fix as the line seemed to be result of recoil.

The Bobro arrived yesterday so I got it mounted last night. It does improve the eye relief by sitting the scope back further and closer to the eye than the ADM. I was even able to extend the LOP on the Fix by about an inch which added a little more comfort to my shooting position.

Went to the range and got it dialed in this evening and performed the Big Test by removing the scope. For good measure also turned it off and removed the batteries. RTZ was much improved and the shots were a little over an inch high at 100 yards. However, to my dismay, the parallel line in my scope was consistent and I had to NUC it out just about every shot. I am fairly certain now it is a result of recoil.

Overall, my takeaway is the Bobro mount seems to hold a closer RTZ, at least on the Fix. The eye relief on the Bobro is certainly an improvement. This recoil thing has me concerned though.….not from the standpoint of getting the Halo serviced and taken care of by Nvision….if there is a problem…….I just hope the rifle itself is not the issue and I have to put it on another platform, I really like this bolt gun setup for nighttime pig plinking.

603C92EA-2EB5-46F1-84EC-8C2E8BBB8D8C.jpeg
59A03CCB-0ED4-45D5-B663-C26896E4BE71.jpeg

@Max_R can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the lightness of the Fix is a factor. Not in the RTZ of course, but in the recoil related issues. Less weight to absorb the recoil means more recoil transmitted to the thermal.

Were you also doing as KSE said "apply a thing film of grease or light oil to the rail interface of the mount and the rail." ???

@Max_R can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the lightness of the Fix is a factor. Not in the RTZ of course, but in the recoil related issues. Less weight to absorb the recoil means more recoil transmitted to the thermal.

Were you also doing as KSE said "apply a thing film of grease or light oil to the rail interface of the mount and the rail." ???
Wig, one of my night hunting buddies was with me at the range Saturday and made the same observation on the rifle/weight/recoil. I am also running it suppressed with the longer length Q Thunder Chicken....if that matters. Ammo is Nosler Accubond .308 165 grain.

And thanks for tagging Max, maybe he can provide some input. I also called N-vision today and the tech told me I could send it in for a check up or wait. He was not sure what was causing it and asked me to send him a screen shot when I can.

Negative on the thin film of grease/oil....I completely forgot that part! I have the scope dialed in and I plan to leave it permanently mounted. I will just swap it over to the day scope once we transition into deer season. And I can live with the recoil line for now.....at least until our night season ends on October 31. Hopefully it is just some minor technical glitch that shows up at recoil and not something rifle recoil related.

Bama, fwiw I had the Bobro (never used the supplied ADM) On my Halo. I got exceptional rtz. Less than I couldn't attribute to human error off a tripod at 100 yards.

Couple lessons I learned the hard way is to not use the last picatinny slot on your rail. I set mine in the last slot trying to get all the length out of it and it moved around on me. This hiccup saved several coyotes lives lol.

Another thing I learned was the Bobro doesn't work with out of spec rails to include ones that have the relief cuts in them like the Burris XTR. All of this you may already know and I could have probably avoided by reading the directions but though it might help!

It would be interesting to try both on a different gun/rail.. good luck

Thanks for the feedback. Right now I do have mine on the last slot, but could probably move it one forward no problem. Next time I move it around I will give it a try as well. For now though I will probably just leave well enough alone since it is dialed in. And for clarity, I think the RTZ on the Bobro did great. It did hit within an inch of the aim point....windage fine, elevation high. Part of all my fretting and testing was to see if I could find some way to get the same results out of the ADM. If I did not have the dual need of wanting the additional eye relief of the Bobro I'd probably spend some more time with it to see if I could get it figured out. Went thru something similar trial and error wise on my Reap 35...…I learned the ZRODelta has to be pushed forward and tightened.....then shot 2-3 times.....then tightened one last time before it is truly set. It is almost like it has to "seat" itself. Otherwise it shoots just to the right at the same elevation, same spot until that final tweak.

Good deal, just to clarify mine shifted even without removing it when positioned in that last slot. Ymmv

@BamaSE, sorry for the delayed response. In short, the appearance of the horizontal line, as you pointed out, is due to increased recoil from the lighter weapon. While it's annoying, this should not lead to the further deterioration of your Halo. This is one of the things that are outside of our control. In simple terms, it's the response of the core to the "kick". We'll check your scope and will verify if it's within the acceptable range or not. BAE considers "acceptable" if defects don't appear for 5 minutes after calibration after the sensor has been sufficiently warmed up and is in a "steady" state. In any case, if it bothers you, it has to be fixed. Can you PM me your name or just the RMA number so that I can take a look at your Halo when it arrives?

This recoil thing has me concerned though.….not from the standpoint of getting the Halo serviced and taken care of by Nvision….if there is a problem…….I just hope the rifle itself is not the issue and I have to put it on another platform, I really like this bolt gun setup for nighttime pig plinking.

@BamaSE, sorry for the delayed response. In short, the appearance of the horizontal line, as you pointed out, is due to increased recoil from the lighter weapon. While it's annoying, this should not lead to the further deterioration of your Halo. This is one of the things that are outside of our control. In simple terms, it's the response of the core to the "kick". We'll check your scope and will verify if it's within the acceptable range or not. BAE considers "acceptable" if defects don't appear for 5 minutes after calibration after the sensor has been sufficiently warmed up and is in a "steady" state. In any case, if it bothers you, it has to be fixed. Can you PM me your name or just the RMA number so that I can take a look at your Halo when it arrives?

Hi Max, thanks for the input. I spoke with Chris this past Friday and he said basically the same thing…..plus reminded me the Halo LR is .50 BMG rated……and put my mind at rest about continuing to use it…..and confirmed no matter what happens I am covered by the warranty. It’s not that big an issue for me right now so I will probably wait to send it in when our night season ends October 31…..unless you guys want to look it over while freshly occurring for R&D then I will be glad to. Will shoot you a PM with contact info. Thanks again for the great CS!

Reactions: Max_R
A follow up on this thread. My Bobro mount did not show up last Friday like it was supposed to……which gave me an opportunity to try again on the RTZ with the ADM before making the swap. Spent some time at the range Saturday taking it on and off and dialing one notch at a time tightening it…..from barely having to press the latch to a firm push. Still could not get anything less than 3 inches when removing and replacing. On one of the looser settings I even got as far as 8” off target. I think there is just something on the Fix rail combined with the bolt gun recoil the ADM just does not like.

During my sets I was also getting a parallel line across the screen every other shot or so. It NUCed out…..but it got me thinking the ADM mount issue may be related to recoil on the Fix as the line seemed to be result of recoil.

The Bobro arrived yesterday so I got it mounted last night. It does improve the eye relief by sitting the scope back further and closer to the eye than the ADM. I was even able to extend the LOP on the Fix by about an inch which added a little more comfort to my shooting position.

Went to the range and got it dialed in this evening and performed the Big Test by removing the scope. For good measure also turned it off and removed the batteries. RTZ was much improved and the shots were a little over an inch high at 100 yards. However, to my dismay, the parallel line in my scope was consistent and I had to NUC it out just about every shot. I am fairly certain now it is a result of recoil.

Overall, my takeaway is the Bobro mount seems to hold a closer RTZ, at least on the Fix. The eye relief on the Bobro is certainly an improvement. This recoil thing has me concerned though.….not from the standpoint of getting the Halo serviced and taken care of by Nvision….if there is a problem…….I just hope the rifle itself is not the issue and I have to put it on another platform, I really like this bolt gun setup for nighttime pig plinking.

View attachment 7677191View attachment 7677186
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but do you get ejection problems with the qd levers positioned as they are here? I just got a Bobro mount for my halo and am worried!

No, not at all. Ejects fine. Also got all my issues sorted out and well pleased with my Halo LR! Will be swapping it between a couple different rifles this upcoming night season…..which for me is the inherent advantage of the Bobro over ADM as the tension clamp will adjust to the rail as there can be variation amongst different rifles. With the ADM the nut/clamp has to be loosened or tightened potentially changing zero.

And do what @Killswitch Engage says above and lube the rail….it works.

Just shot another yote with my halo xlr. 18650 batteries were about 40% left and had it on for 4-5 hours. So far no issues with the LRF (I am not using it in scan mode) or the thermal scope. I did change out adm for bobro mount. RTZ on ar15 556 and Q Fix 308 is perfect so far. The other thread has me nervous though. I’ll keep posting updates.

View attachment 7677191View attachment 7677186

I am having similar issue with eye relief with the stock mount on a Trijicon IR Hunter. I know this is an old thread, but if possible could you measure approximately how much further the Bobro mount moves the scope to the rear? It's a pricey mount if it isn't going to make much different. The LaRue it came with is a quality mount and returns to zero like a champ, it just doesn't move it back far enough for a bolt rifle. Thank you!

I am having similar issue with eye relief with the stock mount on a Trijicon IR Hunter. I know this is an old thread, but if possible could you measure approximately how much further the Bobro mount moves the scope to the rear? It's a pricey mount if it isn't going to make much different. The LaRue it came with is a quality mount and returns to zero like a champ, it just doesn't move it back far enough for a bolt rifle. Thank you!
Don’t have a measurement for you but bobro moves it back plenty for the correct eye relief. Believe me bobro is the way to go. Get what you pay for.

Attachments

• 94CC2FC3-C96B-4E53-AF99-BD3BC52DE461.jpeg
    94CC2FC3-C96B-4E53-AF99-BD3BC52DE461.jpeg
    677.1 KB · Views: 112
Don’t have a measurement for you but bobro moves it back plenty for the correct eye relief. Believe me bobro is the way to go. Get what you pay for.
That looks a lot better. You even have the LoP set out a bit. Guess I’m ordering one. Unless someone has one they aren’t using anymore?

Reactions: Coyote777
Hey bud, I have moved on from this setup and no longer have it to make a measurement….but the Bobro will without question give you much better eye relief than the Larue.

Anyone have the magic secret for a Lefty bolt gun and the Halo XRF? I have a Defiance action in a Manners Compact stock and the length of pull adjustment is great, but the bolt hits the damn battery compartment. The only way I can make it work is if I mount it pretty far forward and shorten the LOP to its minimum amount, which will probably work but feels weird with regards to cheek weld. I am thinking my options are:
1. Some type of giant riser to get the scope above the bolt
2. 60 degree bolt throw action
3. Buy another "bolt action" type thermal

Try the billet precision mount with a kram spacer. I had to file the front of the spacer to get the most out of it with my halo LR. I have the -20 moa version since my action has an integrated 20 moa rail.

Attachments

• 20231224_151501.jpg
    20231224_151501.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 24