• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision N-Vision Optics Halo/Halo-LR Technical Questions and Comments

@Max_R — I know you wanna keep product development under wraps, for obvious reasons. BUT... if you’re developing any NEW products that don’t directly compete with your current product line — like maybe a BAE 12um cored SkeetIRx / MH25 competitor 😉then I believe it might be a good idea to announce those plans. I know MANY here and on other forums who will postpone their plans to buy an MH25 or Skeet if you made such an announcement.

In that particular situation, publishing such info would benefit everyone.

Do it for the children.

F3BD694E-45CD-4A4C-B0EA-435267DD07DD.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like my CRATOS.

I really like my LWTS.

I really like my LWTS-LR.

I really like my UTC-Xii.

But every night I go out, I use my Halo-LR and leave the others at home.

Whassup wit dat, yo?!

I really like my CRATOS.

I really like my LWTS.

I really like my LWTS-LR.

I really like my UTC-Xii.

But every night I go out, I use my Halo-LR and leave the others at home.

Whassup wit dat, yo?!

clip ons are heavy?

• Love
Reactions: TheHorta
clip ons are heavy?

Not for Horta.

1593629582727.png

ETA: The reality is a fixed 100 yard focus is much faster and more useful than turning focus nobs on a clip-on that's out in front of your day optic. You can also hunt without a Tripod, whereas, with a clip-on, there's really no alternative. And perhaps it's subjective, but the native magnification and FOV of a dedicated optic are fine for 95% of applications. IMO, the primary reason for a clip-on is for long range (beyond 300 yards) where a familiar reticle serves well.

In my head, a clip-on is best suited for when you only have access to one rifle. If I'm deployed somewhere, or if I'm traveling and will need a rifle for day and night duty, a clip-on -- especially the CRATOS or UTC -- makes perfect sense, the CRATOS in particular if I don't need >300 yards.

Otherwise, from home I can have all the rifles I could need or want ready-to-go, and I just keep grabbing my Frankenbuild PSA with Halo-LR. It's light, good for everything I could possibly need, and is one of the best consumer TWS on the planet.

In my head, a clip-on is best suited for when you only have access to one rifle. If I'm deployed somewhere, or if I'm traveling and will need a rifle for day and night duty, a clip-on -- especially the CRATOS or UTC -- makes perfect sense, the CRATOS in particular if I don't need >300 yards.

Otherwise, from home I can have all the rifles I could need or want ready-to-go, and I just keep grabbing my Frankenbuild PSA with Halo-LR. It's light, good for everything I could possibly need, and is one of the best consumer TWS on the planet.

Not to dig up an old thread but I am debating between the Halo and Halo LR.

I did have some questions - is the Halo LR better/worse at closer shots around 50 yards than the Halo is on shots outside of 200 yards?

I have varying distances I hunt and havent ever looked through a Halo or Halo LR.

And the 18 degree vs 9 degree FOV -without having used the Halo with a 18 degree FOV I am assuming it is better for engaging multiple targets. But compared to the 9 degree I am unsure how big an issue it is.

Halo/Halo LR will be going on a suppressed 12.5" .308 SBR.

Thanks

JR

Not to dig up an old thread but I am debating between the Halo and Halo LR.

I did have some questions - is the Halo LR better/worse at closer shots around 50 yards than the Halo is on shots outside of 200 yards?

I have varying distances I hunt and havent ever looked through a Halo or Halo LR.

And the 18 degree vs 9 degree FOV -without having used the Halo with a 18 degree FOV I am assuming it is better for engaging multiple targets. But compared to the 9 degree I am unsure how big an issue it is.

Halo/Halo LR will be going on a suppressed 12.5" .308 SBR.

Thanks

JR
Halo lr will look blurry under 25 yards roughly. After that it clears right up. I run mine on a 12.5” 5.56 so its what i would suggest although i have no experience with the standard halo.

i will say the native magnification of the lr is nice, about ideal. Since i dont have a thermal spotter i use my rifle as one. I can see rabbits at 20-300 yards easily in warm conditions, mice at 20-200 yards and something like cows, deer horses realllly far away. 20 yard kills are easy as my first kill was a mouse in tall grass at that range. Next kill was a coyote at 300.

I have a Halo Lr. At 10 yards (my hallway) I could engage a home intruder as long as the situation wasn’t real dynamic. It’s out of focus and narrow field of view but doable. Anything beyond that gets easier and better.

I have a Halo Lr. At 10 yards (my hallway) I could engage a home intruder as long as the situation wasn’t real dynamic. It’s out of focus and narrow field of view but doable. Anything beyond that gets easier and better.

and how will you ID said intruder before ventilation.... this is just a bad idea period. use a white light on your weapon or a set of nods.

and how will you ID said intruder before ventilation.... this is just a bad idea period. use a white light on your weapon or a set of nods.

In his defense, I don’t think that was his point. I didn’t get the thought that he was championing thermal for inside HD defense.

Reactions: Evolution 9

I would say NODS would be ideal to ID an intruder. And not to sound like a weirdo, but you are not robbing me of the opportunity to light that MFer up and remove head and arms with my bare hands. I got paid a lot of money for a lot of years to beat wholesale ass.

Sounds like the Halo LR is the way to go even with the limited FOV. Anyone who has used both potentially chime in?

Thanks, Horta. Yes, my point was to illustrate to the OP that it was surprisingly useable at pretty close range.

Wouldn’t be my first choice for home defense 🤣

I say this was 20 yards, coulda been under. But it was on a .22 at the time and I didn’t physically range it. Was a clean kill too, lil feller never even twitched after the subsonic 40gr slid through his lil torso. So effective kills at closer range is very possible. So easy a cave man could do it.

Attachments

• 9AAA9E8A-677F-41C2-9836-960A6CCFBCBD.jpeg
    9AAA9E8A-677F-41C2-9836-960A6CCFBCBD.jpeg
    950.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Haha
Reactions: Evolution 9
I say this was 20 yards, coulda been under. But it was on a .22 at the time and I didn’t physically range it. Was a clean kill too, lil feller never even twitched after the subsonic 40gr slid through his lil torso. So effective kills at closer range is very possible. So easy a cave man could do it.

I hope you did that little guy in a European Mount.

• Haha
Reactions: Jgunner
Full body mount, in attack mode, teeth snarling claws out.

I killed a skunk and my daughter wanted the skull so I got it cleaned up for a European mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    623.7 KB · Views: 39
Fluffy lil pup. Soon to be a pelt and a euro! My first REAL kill with my halo, so i gotta make the most of it!

Attachments

• 4278C652-3EB0-4FDB-9F19-7F9D69CCBDD6.jpeg
    4278C652-3EB0-4FDB-9F19-7F9D69CCBDD6.jpeg
    850.4 KB · Views: 50
  • FE6C3E77-D1B7-4E26-A2F6-BA939119C36A.jpeg
    FE6C3E77-D1B7-4E26-A2F6-BA939119C36A.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 57
Fluffy lil pup. Soon to be a pelt and a euro! My first REAL kill with my halo, so i gotta make the most of it!

I had a coyote about 100 yards out in tall grass & brush and I couldnt make him out with NV. I mistook him for a small deer until he turned and I saw his tail. Then he took off like a shot.

My reason to move to thermal.

I’m out of state hunting coyote with the Halo 50- on recoil last night the unit cut off twice. Now it will Not cut on. I have replaced batteries twice- they are inserted correctly- no power. Am I screwed on this hunt?

I’m out of state hunting coyote with the Halo 50- on recoil last night the unit cut off twice. Now it will Not cut on. I have replaced batteries twice- they are inserted correctly- no power. Am I screwed on this hunt?
If they are rechargeable batteries the extra length could be causing the pins to not make good contact. Did you try to power the unit off the external power cord and a usb source? Is the rubber o-ring binding up making it seem tight when it’s not?

If they are rechargeable batteries the extra length could be causing the pins to not make good contact. Did you try to power the unit off the external power cord and a usb source? Is the rubber o-ring binding up making it seem tight when it’s not?
They are energizer batteries- new out of the pack. The o-ring is not binding up.

I did the update that they said would fix the unit. (Note- this means if you are out of town you need to keep a PC -not a Mac- and the proprietary cable with you) nope- not fixed. Had to ship the unit back to NVision. They did send a RMA.

Just ordered a Halo LR.
What batteries and external power packs would be recommended
Thanks
I ordered 2 10k anklers from amazon. They will run a halo for prob 12 hours. Just gotta remember to unplug the cable from the battery pack or it will drain. I run one on my nox in my bump as ballast. Lasts about the same amount of time. I have a third now in case i do something dumb or forget to charge them. The blue leds on the anklers are too bright, so i put some green painters tape over it, which makes it hard to see but visible even in daylight if shadowed.

Reactions: Matagorda308
@TheHorta : painting, as long it is not damaging (tape off switches + rail mount + external connector + optics + slots between moving parts of the eyepiece) will not void the warranty but in case of repair work we may not be able to preserve or restore the custom paintwork.

We don't have any shorter right angle cables. I believe that our standard length is 12 inches. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there that can cut a piece of it out and re-solder/re-isolate but we don't do it. Tim Eckert (I don't know him personally) on FaceBook was offering custom cables for Halo/Halo-LR. You may look him up.
Anybody got contact info on Tim Eckert, or another supplier for custom length right angle cables?

I ordered 2 10k anklers from amazon. They will run a halo for prob 12 hours. Just gotta remember to unplug the cable from the battery pack or it will drain. I run one on my nox in my bump as ballast. Lasts about the same amount of time. I have a third now in case i do something dumb or forget to charge them. The blue leds on the anklers are too bright, so i put some green painters tape over it, which makes it hard to see but visible even in daylight if shadowed.
Thanks

Just ordered a Halo LR.
What batteries and external power packs would be recommended
Thanks
Post#24 from Horta for rechargeables. I am fixing to order some and a charger.
Ankor 10k off Amazon as above. Light weight.
Don’t bother with any of the battery packs that have a built in solar panel. Gimmick.