• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Name these rifles

jipper74

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
Central Virginia
My wife has just inherited a very old fire arm. It is one of the two below - I don't know which one. Both firearms are in Norway, so I can't look at them. They have have hung on a wall of my wife's Grandmother for decades. I would like to know something about them, but I can't imagine where to start - I don't much about antique firearms.

Anyone have any guesses about these oldies? Also, does anyone know about the import laws for an antique firearm?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• <untitled>1.jpg
    <untitled>1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 14
  • <untitled>2.jpg
    <untitled>2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13
freight would cost more than the rifle is worth. sorry to say

freight would cost more than the rifle is worth. sorry to say

Thank you for your insight. While value is one thing, the larger consideration is trying to identify and date these firearms. They have surely been in her family for a very long time. To learn about them would be learn more about her ancestors. Were they used for hunting only, or were they used in service? How long were flint locks used in Norway? Norway was a very poor country for a long time - so old relics might have been used surprisingly recently. Anyway, you get the idea.

Pre 1898's. Just mail them with the customs form. Better to break them down (ie: take them out of the stock). Need better pics to know what they are. One looks like some sort of match lock.

It might be an early breach loader. There is no place for a ramrod on it. That would put it in the late 1800's. This one could be a Flobert
action in 9mm Flobert
The top one is a percussion lock, not a flint lock. That would put it in the same time frame, or later.

The top one appears to be a M1774/1841 Infanterimuskett i perkusjon (converted flintlock to persussion in the 1840's at Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk) . While it really resembles this rifle it appears too short and may be missing barrel bands... perhaps cut down, perhaps a further modification, perhaps never had bands. Lots of variations of these...

The bottom is one of the Kammerlander models so prevalent in both Civilian and military circles in Norway. IIRC the military issue versions had brass hardware like this one, civilian had steel. I "think" this is the Army model... the Navy had their own versions. I think this one is a breech loading M1859/60/67 kammerlader... however there are lots of subtile variations so exact model is tricky given these poor photos.

Norway, Sweden, Denmark etc were continuously modifying their military weapons... almost a model(s) per year it seems during the black powder period. Detailed examination is almost always necessary to determine exactly what you have... which model. Markings are also important. Not much help, but you have an "idea" what it is you have pictured.

Last edited: