• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

National Anthem

CSAR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2008
Arlington, WA
OK Guys/Gals have a question for you....

I was in a discussion regarding the National Anthem and it (I) got a little heated. I'm former Navy and the Anthem holds a VERY special place in my heart and bones. When I hear an outstanding rendition of it (in public or at home), I will shed a tear and have goose bumps. My opinion is this is a sacred song and should be sung as it was written and shouldn't be "effed up" by anyone wanting to put their own twist on it. I will say I'm OK if someone wants to hold a note for a bit longer than normal but don't mess with it any more than that.

I'd like to hear others opinions and feelings on the subject. What say you?

Re: National Anthem

Agreed. If there are laws and procedures for which manner our flag is handled, the same should hold true for our anthem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WxWatcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. If there are laws and procedures for which manner our flag is handled, the same should hold true for our anthem. </div></div>

As much as I love the SBB, I have to disagree, respectfully of course.
I've never seen adding a personal touch as disrespectful at all, and in a few instances, It could be suggested that it helps to modernize a song that many of our young people don't find inspirational.
I can remember in HS, hearing an entire gym full of towns people singing along to the national anthem. BBall players, opponents, coaches, refs, students, parents etc etc etc.
This was less than 15 years ago, and now, there are a lot of people that don't even know the words.

I'm not saying that updating it's necessary to win back the youth appreciation, but it doesn't hurt.
As for the comment on the flag and the way it's handled...seeing as how members/branches of the military don't always follow the Flag Code to the letter, I don't see the argument as valid.
There are times when it should, and special circumstances when it's OK to disregard said code. The image of the parade for example, would seem to me to be a perfectly acceptable example of a broken rule.

<span style="font-size: 11pt">United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 — The Flag</span>
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]<span style="font-size: 11pt">§8. Respect for flag</span>[*]c. The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.[/list]
(Now I'm not a flag code expert and don't pretend to be, but I would view this code as being broken by the branch in the image.)

memorial-day-2012-junior-rotc-soldiers-carry-giant-american-flag.jpg

NOW, all that said...this is probably one of my favorite NON traditional versions of the SSB, and I get the chills every time I watch it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8C7i9kdEf8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8C7i9kdEf8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It could be suggested that it helps to modernize a song that many of our young people don't find inspirational.</div></div>

Lots of folks think the constitution should be "modernized."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was less than 15 years ago, and now, there are a lot of people that don't even know the words.</div></div>

No longer taught. It's archaic, like that offensive pledge we were taught.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...seeing as how members/branches of the military don't always follow the Flag Code to the letter, I don't see the argument as valid.</div></div> Two wrongs = one right?

Singers should learn the words before attempting to add a personal twist.

Anyone who has ever heard Whitney Huston's version would wonder why someone would want to change it...unless it's an effort to direct attention away from their lack of talent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WxWatcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. If there are laws and procedures for which manner our flag is handled, the same should hold true for our anthem. </div></div>

I've never seen adding a personal touch as disrespectful at all, and in a few instances, It could be suggested that it helps to modernize a song that many of our young people don't find inspirational.
I can remember in HS, hearing an entire gym full of towns people singing along to the national anthem. BBall players, opponents, coaches, refs, students, parents etc etc etc.
This was less than 15 years ago, and now, there are a lot of people that don't even know the words.

I'm not saying that updating it's necessary to win back the youth appreciation, but it doesn't hurt.
As for the comment on the flag and the way it's handled...seeing as how members/branches of the military don't always follow the Flag Code to the letter, I don't see the argument as valid.
There are times when it should, and special circumstances when it's OK to disregard said code. The image of the parade for example, would seem to me to be a perfectly acceptable example of a broken rule.

<span style="font-size: 11pt">United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 — The Flag</span>
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]<span style="font-size: 11pt">§8. Respect for flag</span>[*]c. The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.[/list]
(Now I'm not a flag code expert and don't pretend to be, but I would view this code as being broken by the branch in the image.)

NOW, all that said...this is probably one of my favorite NON traditional versions of the SSB, and I get the chills every time I watch it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8C7i9kdEf8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8C7i9kdEf8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

</div></div>

that's a junior ROTC class.. not a branch of the military.. and they're wrong as 2 boys fucking.. just like anyone that changes the SSB

I think the current practice of performing the anthem prior to every major sporting event(among others)tends to dilute the significance of what should be a revered event. Ever see the look on some MLB player's faces at the 148th game of the season? They know it would be a PR nightmare to say it, but they get tired of it. Ever get tired of stopping your car/coming to attention while on base when 8am/4pm hits?
Having that many renditions also aids people that yearn for a little diversity.
Also,dammit! Keep going back to WxWatcher's avatar. What were we saying?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever get tired of stopping your car/coming to attention while on base when 8am/4pm hits?</div></div>

Nope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the current practice of performing the anthem prior to every major sporting event(among others)tends to dilute the significance of what should be a revered event. Ever see the look on some MLB player's faces at the 148th game of the season? </div></div>

They have the same attitude during spring season. Wouldn't bother me if they stopped altogether. Players and fans alike show little respect.

I'm pretty passionate about the SSB just like the next guy. I don't necessarily have a problem with a personal spin on the anthem as long as it's tastefully done. I know personal tastes are subjective but I'm not talking about a death metal rendition or anything.

I always get goosebumps when I hear it (ssb). I love it as is and don't want it to ever change...however, the rock version above was really nice and still gave me goosebumps.

To answer the OP's question:
I think it should be the traditional method, a cappela, no crazy "my twist" crap. When you open the door for one "version" you may appreciate, you will then get hundreds you most definitely will not like. You wanna make a wierd version, it's so old it's not licensed, go record your own on a label, but for public display, there are acceptable standards. Don't trample something that means so much to so many.
The subtle differences from one performer to the next,i.e. longer notes, slightly different pitch here and there, should not be areas of concern. What should be protected are the proper lyrics. People have a tough time live, but that's what practice is for. I think the same standards and auditions should be applied to celebrities as they are to little teenage girls with exceptional voices- that is, get it right in front of the event reps, or get somebody else.

I too could do without all the artistic interpretations, and I also get irritated when people leave their hats on and are bullshitting while it is being played. So many dont offer propper respect to the flag or the anthem.

I'm simply saying that circumstances leave room for interpretation. If you feel differently, that's your right.
The flag and the laws of how to display it was a moot point based on the frequency it's disregarded and by the individuals doing the violation.
I was simply showcasing the leniency with which that "law" is handled by those required to take orders by their superiors who should probably know better.

I stand by my comment, and even though the song I linked to, is NOT meant to be a re-make of the SSB, it IS a patriotic piece of music that is closely tied to an important song in our nations history. The National Anthem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
that's a junior ROTC class.. not a branch of the military.. and they're wrong as 2 boys fucking.. just like anyone that changes the SSB </div></div>

article-2231259-15FA15AD000005DC-997_634x414.jpg

stock-photo-marines-carrying-flag-at-memorial-day-ceremony-13059532.jpg

stock-photo-marines-carrying-a-giant-us-flag-13976.jpg

This caused many tears for a different reason.....really awful at 50 seconds
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7QaxF0brB3U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7QaxF0brB3U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dang472</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This caused many tears for a different reason.....really awful at 50 seconds
</div></div>

Didn't make ten seconds. sssshudder

That's what happens when people screw around with things that don't need fixin'.

So the National Anthem just happened at the Super Bowl. What did you guys think about that version?

Alicia Keys fucked it up........I absolutely hate the fact when these stupid ass R&B/Pop singers get a hold of this and butcher it....

I thought the Alicia Keys version sucked nearly as bad as Smokey Robinson's version back during a world series game about 25 years or ago.

Smokey's came off like a weird version of "Little Drummer boy" but slower and not as good as the version Bing Crosby and David Bowie did (back during a Bing Crosby Christmas special circa 1968), which also sucked.

Any thoughts on the hair dresser doing the sign language interpretation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 021411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the National Anthem just happened at the Super Bowl. What did you guys think about that version? </div></div>

Can't say I was a fan.

Call me old fashioned, but I like the the original way with no "artistic BS" added in. I am young, never had the honor to serve, but am as patriotic as can be. I get choked up every time I hear it, no matter what. The disrespect our National Anthem gets is just one more sign that no one has any idea what it took to make this country or the sacrifices made to keep us free.

God bless all of those who are serving and have served in our armed forced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any thoughts on the hair dresser doing the sign language interpretation?</div></div>

Stick to hairdressing and puffing...

I agree with the OP. I wasn't pleased that Alicia Keys took "creative liberties" to screw up the national anthem.

I don't watch American idol but I do understand how it works... How did they ever let that bitch move on to the next round. She sounded horrible and she forgot one of the lines and the judge had to remind her. You can't remember the lines to our National Anthem, move on.

The one I like the best is sung by Charles Glenn at every St Louis Blues home game.

Let me see if this works [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOsLaBnMuhI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

And just so you all know, at the end people are not booing, they are saying Blues.

I usually give a review of how these dumb fuck Demi Gods do when singing The Star Spangled Banner at championship games, Miss Keys has a great voice, I don't like her music but I do respect her singing abilities, I hope she dies a slow painful death on top of a fire ant hill, just sing the song as its written, don't add or take away anything, you had your chance to impress, instead you sucked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powdahound76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me old fashioned, but I like the the original way with no "artistic BS" added in. I am young, never had the honor to serve, but am as patriotic as can be. I get choked up every time I hear it, no matter what. The disrespect our National Anthem gets is just one more sign that no one has any idea what it took to make this country or the sacrifices made to keep us free.

God bless all of those who are serving and have served in our armed forced.
</div></div>

Call ME old fashioned, but the ORIGINAL music was a completely different song with completely different lyrics and then a bunch of "Artistic BS" added was the first stanza of a poem written 34 years later.
Thank an American for the lyrics, but don't forget the Brit that wrote the music.

I'm not trying to take ANYTHING away from the song. I think we can all agree that there are a lot of fine musicians out there that have butchered a good song, by trying to add their own interpretation. I've never seen anyone intentionally change the lyrics and try to pass it off as the same thing though.
I have however, seen stylized re-makes as a form of entertainment (as the video I linked)

I'm proud to have adopted it as our National Anthem and I'm glad there is an OFFICIAL VERSION (there were quite a few during the 100 or so years it existed PRIOR to becoming the National Anthem), but the song was a cobbled together artistic piece of pure luck.

It wasn't written to BE the National Anthem, it was chosen to be MUCH MUCH later.
It wasn't a part of our initial foundation as a nation, read during the signing of the Decoration of Independence, played during battle or sung when good ole George first took office.
It wasn't assembled with a purpose of inspiration or patriotism.

It was a good song, with a good tune and good lyrics.
It was adopted because of it's popularity and we didn't have any form of a National Anthem at the time.

Ergo...winner winner chicken dinner. We have a new National Anthem!

Comparing it to the Flag or the Constitution is a far stretch.

How bout everyone in the thread make a recording of THEM singing the SSB and post it up for the world to hear. Do you have to be able to sing it on key to sing it or should only qualified musicians be allowed to sing the song?
I'd rather hear someone sing it with a lil personal touch...than some jack wagon that can't carry a tune.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK Guys/Gals have a question for you....

I was in a discussion regarding the National Anthem and it (I) got a little heated. I'm former Navy and the Anthem holds a VERY special place in my heart and bones. When I hear an outstanding rendition of it (in public or at home), I will shed a tear and have goose bumps. My opinion is this is a sacred song and should be sung as it was written and shouldn't be "effed up" by anyone wanting to put their own twist on it. I will say I'm OK if someone wants to hold a note for a bit longer than normal but don't mess with it any more than that.

I'd like to hear others opinions and feelings on the subject.

What say you? </div></div>

I saw a pic of Chris Kyle, (showing up after he was murded) saying every time he saw someone talking or not takeing their hats off, it pissed him off and he told them so, AND I AGREE.

Its just a matter of time before we have the rap version to be PC.

I dread the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOW, all that said...this is probably one of my favorite NON traditional versions of the SSB, and I get the chills every time I watch it.

</div></div>

You beat me to that one.
It's something about freedom of speech, if we dictate to rappers that they cannot, then they will dictate to rockers that they cannot.

I don't like rap and I RARELY like non standard versions of the national anthem but it is whta it is - the very little freedom we have left.

I thought Alecia did a fair job on it, she has a voice, gorgeous....

I know the version we hear today is not "the original" as penned, but it is the original version I and probably most all of us have known since childhood and hearing it makes us feel proud to be Americans.
I can't sing worth a crap, but I do sing along softly because i love the song.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WxWatcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. If there are laws and procedures for which manner our flag is handled, the same should hold true for our anthem. </div></div>

</div></div>

Never cared much for the song myself, but that version rocks. Goes right up there with The Grateful Dead and Jimi Hendrix versions.

I thought it was too slow/filled with dead space, but still fair game. Then she ad-libbed the stuff at the end, and turned it into an Alicia Keyes performance. Save that shit, and you don't get any negative replies.
Also, did you see how CBS showed all the black NFL players swaying and enjoying the song? Seemed a little out of place for a worldwide event, even in NOLA. At least that's the Youtube version I saw. Maybe they were trying to self-promote the "Rooney Rule."

To the OP, I agree. It should be sung one way. None of the vibrato crap where it sounds like they can hold a steady note, no "twist" or "new spin". Holding a note I can handle but don't try for Guinness world record crap. Alicia Keys can sing and I'll give her credit for that but she sucked. The rock version posted above is crap too. Sorry. I respect what they do and their talent but to me the SSB is meant to be done the "traditional" way I learned in school along with having " one nation, under God" in the Pledge of Aligence before they took it away. Slowly but surely our past is being erased. I'm only 26 but wow have things changed.

Many years ago before ALL the dinosaurs died off, I was in the school band through last of elementary, junior high and most of high school. Trumpet wasn't as hard to play as some of the other instruments. But I became intoxicated by the fumes of gasoline and perfume. I left the band for other interests.

But during the 1950s, 60s and 70s our city band brought home trophy s from national competitions. Part of that was our band leader / teacher. In my book he was a great man and was worthy of being looked up to.

We always practiced the National Anthem several times a week EVERY week. One thing he always preached to us, if the National Anthem lasts more than 1 minute 14 seconds, somebody is showboating.

In all my years in the band, anyone that screwed up ON PURPOSE in the playing of the National Anthem, got a week off of band and a grade cut. Band for us was a thing of pride. It was strictly voluntary and ALMOST everyone always got a passing grade. Blow it on the National Anthem and you would be guaranteed to fail that 6 weeks.

And for what Rosie O'Donnell did a few years ago when she sang it at a ball game, she should be deported.

I agree with the OP. It's one thing to carry a note a bit longer. It's an entirely different subject when the singer destroys the NA in an effort to turn the attention to them instead of focusing the attention on honoring our nation's flag.

"And for what Rosie O'Donnell did a few years ago when she sang it at a ball game, she should be deported."

Not deport, export. As in, with all the other pork products...
grin.gif

Is it just me, someone currently in the army, or does that ROTC class to to get some height and weight standards done? If you look at that picture you will know which one I am talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JayTrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it just me, someone currently in the army, or does that ROTC class to to get some height and weight standards done? If you look at that picture you will know which one I am talking about. </div></div>

One, Tubby, Tubby, Tubby. Two, Tubby, Tubby. Threeee....lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmrabnmp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JayTrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it just me, someone currently in the army, or does that ROTC class to to get some height and weight standards done? If you look at that picture you will know which one I am talking about. </div></div>

One, Tubby, Tubby, Tubby. Two, Tubby, Tubby. Threeee....lol </div></div>
Lmao

So far, my all time favorite version was done by Lyle Lovett at game 4 of the 2010 world series. There was a cello starting him out, with the exception of the subtle cello, he sang it without any accompaniment and hit every note spot on.

I have listened to many versions since then to see if I could fine a version that I thought was sung that accurately, and traditionally, and have yet to hear one.