• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s national guard snipers?

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
So the other day i was down at the gas station here in laramie fuelling up and i walk inside to grab a drink and a can of dip and notice the man at the register talking to one of his "buddies" who seems more like a customer trying to get the heck out of there. so i walk in and grab my items and over hear him talking about a customer who came in earlier that day who was a former marine. i kind of tuned him out but he kept pointing at his marpat, 8-point hat. as i got closer he was going on about how the marine asked him if he served and he (in a sarcastic tone now) said well yeah dont you see my hat? as he pointed up to the captain patch on the front of the hat and said hell i was a sniper for heavens sakes! now this man was rather round which was kind of odd to me considering i overheard him talking about the training he had just got back from. so once i pay on the way out i asked him where he had served and he said with a smile on his face "national guard down near centennial". just as he said the marine did i said "thank you for your service" walked out. So, Have any of you heard of a special ops, national guard sniper? i havent but who knows?

Re: national guard snipers?

USMC doesn't have a National Guard, they have USMC Reserve. Only the Army and Air Force have National Guards.

And I can tell you that an ex-Marine buddy of mine is in the guard now & going to sniper school in a couple of months... Doesn't make the probability that this clown's story was complete bullshit any lower though...

Story didn't make much sense so I read it again... You say he was rocking a MARPAT hat with a Captain patch on the front? Is it possible that this was one of those ACU hats (the blue digital crap the army uses)? Reason I ask is because the army hats are set up with velcro for patches & the Marine ones aren't. Then I would assume if he ever was in ANY branch of the service, it was the army & the only Marine in the story was the earlier customer (and perhaps the OP, not sure what affilition he is working with). With all of that being said... I'd still guess the guy behind the counter was full of shit!

Army covers do not have velcro for rank, pin or sew on only. Army has no officers snipers, USMC allows officers in their sniper school though.

A couple of Guard unit's we work with have snipers... They're not officers though, E5 and the other's an E6...

Every Infantry National Guard unit has snipers. They are set up the same way active units are. Same gear, many times better gear. If he was fat, he probably wasn't serving right now. All the NCO's in our platoon were hand selected and being fat isn't one of those criteria that the SGM looks for. We run tryouts for E4 and below.

There are some Mustang officers that are qualified B4, but not too many.

I would put 1000 bucks on him being full of shit. Also the guard has LRRS units, pathfinder, and SF units. Just a fyi

There is not enough info to really get the whole picture. Most guys who brag about stuff like that are full of shit. There is the possibility he served earlier as a Marine, then got out and moved from reserve unit to guard and back again. It is common in the Wyo/CO area. If he was any type of Marine shooter I am sure the guys at Thunderbeast would know of him. All Marine Reserve train in Cheyenne or down in Denver.

The National Guard Sniper School is in Arkansas. I shot with the Commander of the school, and he gave me a slot to attend and get B4 qualified so I could compete in the International sniper competitions. At the time I was an O3. My state wouldnt pony up the funds thanks to the G3 who was a real prick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Army covers do not have velcro for rank, pin or sew on only. Army has no officers snipers, USMC allows officers in their sniper school though.</div></div>
Ah, noted... So they sew those patches on? What a pain in the ass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Army covers do not have velcro for rank, pin or sew on only. Army has no officers snipers, USMC allows officers in their sniper school though.</div></div>
Ah, noted... So they sew those patches on? What a pain in the ass! </div></div>

On the head gear yes, the rest of uniform is velcro or sewn (you have the option).

The Army National Guard has a very good Sniper School... in the past it was considered a better course than the active Army sniper school.

he was army, and the hat was multi cam not the ACU or marpat stuff i got mixed up there a second. the way he was talking and the physical apperance of the man led me to believe he was just trying to impress people by telling a BS story. he looked like he hadnt shaved in a couple days and his high and tight wasnt so tight. i assume he was "active" since he was talking about the training he had just come from but im not in any part of the armed service yet so i dont know how things work for them. Again i dont claim to know much about this stuff and i dont mean to offend anyone who was a part of something like this. the way he was talking and the fact that ive never heard of something like that before just screamed BS in my ear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The National Guard Sniper School is in Arkansas. I shot with the Commander of the school, and he gave me a slot to attend and get B4 qualified so I could compete in the International sniper competitions. At the time I was an O3. My state wouldnt pony up the funds thanks to the G3 who was a real prick. </div></div>

I attended that school at Camp Robinson. It has since been moved to El Paso. I was allowed to attend as an O4 along with another O4 and a Navel Spec Warfare O5. I don't know about the Navy guy but we went thru to train for the competitions.

I am a b4 in the guard. When I dont have drill i am usually bearded and let my hair grow. Like others said, we dont have any fat dudes or officers in our section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The National Guard Sniper School is in Arkansas. I shot with the Commander of the school, and he gave me a slot to attend and get B4 qualified so I could compete in the International sniper competitions. At the time I was an O3. My state wouldnt pony up the funds thanks to the G3 who was a real prick. </div></div>

I attended that school at Camp Robinson. It has since been moved to El Paso. I was allowed to attend as an O4 along with another O4 and a Navel Spec Warfare O5. I don't know about the Navy guy but we went thru to train for the competitions. </div></div>

El Paso? Either shit has changed in the last year or two or your info is way off.

angsniper: Your talking about CPEC(Close Precision Engagement Course), that is NOT Sniper school it is the Air National Guard version of SDM for their Security Forces. The Army National Guard Sniper School is still in Camp Robinson Arkansas and is one of only three accredited Sniper Schools in the Army. Benning and Little Rock are the same course, they have to be run identical using the same curriculum to be accredited through ATTRS. The only differences between Benning and Little Rock are that Bennings Course is technically a week longer since Active Duty gets weekends off where as the Guard School works straight through since States don't want to pay for soldiers to be on Orders any longer than they need. SOTIC is the third and you must be in Special Operations to attend.

I'm actually looking at the school house here at Robinson right now, here for their SDM course, just over halfway thru. Passed all the iron quals and just started working with ACOGs. The ranges here are pretty nice, wind hasn't been to bad so far either.

From your description he probably is one of the top HALO snipers....

The Army National Guard has a very good Sniper School... in the past it was considered a better course than the active Army sniper school.

Camp Robinson. I think the name National Guard Sniper School is a bit of a misnomer, although technically accurate. When I was there in 08 we had Guard guys, Group guys, 2 fellows from Ranger BN and a sprinkling of Active Duty guys. My partner was from 10th Mountain, I'm a guard soldier...

I quoted LL up there cause it made me all warm and fuzzy feeling that it was spoken of highly, it's my most valued graduation certificate. Its the only one in a frame, college and other military ones are in a box somewhere.

For what its worth...

C_K