• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Natural gas standby generator for home?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I'm currently building a home up in the mountains of Virginia and am looking for a standby generator that will run on natural gas. My house will be set up for 400 amps, but our daily usage will be much less than that. I really only need a generator that will run the essential appliances to keep food cool or frozen, and water heated. Nonetheless, I want it to be able to run a little more if the need arises.

What brands do you recommend? Any generators that I should certainly look at or stay away from? Any pointers that you wish you'd known when you chose your own backup genny? Thanks for the help. I'm in the process of researching all this but would appreciate any experiential feedback you may have.

It's not a really large sample, but Buz and I both run Generac units, I've got the 10Kw system he's got a monster. Never had a day of trouble in 3 years, it's been used several times for nearly a full day during outages. I actually just finished installing solar to bring the main loads off grid completely, if that's an option you might look at it. It will cost a little more up front, but far less maint and zero fuel cost.

Propane is used in a lotta places as my brothers house generator starts up same time every Friday for GP's ! They are in a rural area and it could be a long time before power lines could be fixed! Tank is covered but open on sides and all plumbing is under ground and generator sets next to garage!

How the hell are they going to shut off MY gas bottle . Propane $1.00something a gallon .Gasoline $3+ a gallon no shelf life no way to store large amounts. Get a grip .Buy or lease the biggest tank you can
afford and fill it off season at a discount. There is a reason cell towers all use Propane back up Generators. Really wish people responded with hands on instead of head up the ass!! A gasoline generator is the cheapest to buy and the least cost effective to run /a bandaid for the uninformed. Sort of like pissing the bed to stay warm .It sounds like it is a answer but in the long run not the best way to fix things.

I have a generac 17kw (propane).
Doesn't run the whole house but damn near including well, HVAC,stove, refrigerator, freezer and all lights and outlets for the first floor. In 3 years its come on 3x for power outage. 1 hurricane, 1 snow storm and a drunk that took out a nearby utility pole. It comes on automatically in seconds. Runs once a week for 15 minutes on Saturday morning. I live in the sticks and all utilities are on poles in my area. I'd never have another house without one. Ran about $6000 delivered and fully installed.

I'm actually going to have a buried NG tank, the biggest that I can buy. Where I'm building there's no active NG lines running. I'm also planning to supplement with a full solar setup at some point. The genny that looks like the right setup right now is the Generac 20kW LPG/NG. There are some horror stories about Generac customer service though.

Propane fueled Generac 17kW here powers 2 downstairs hvac units, 2 fridges, lights/outlets, and absolutely essential power to media room and wine cellar. Thankfully, hardly ever needed but wonderful to have on those rare occasions.

I have a 17.5kw Lister diesel.Have run the Listers for many years, but I believe their quality has taken a nose dive. My neighbor has a propane fired 10-12 kw Generac. It has proven to be a steaming pile. Some of this can be laid at the dealers door but not all. I doubt that it has 200 hours on it and has had numerous service calls. The last go around the service guy shrugged his shoulders mumbled and left. It is still DRT.

A friend of mine had a partially in ground house built up in the mountains. The entire front of the house was glass to get passive solar, the rest of the house was under at least 3 feet of earth and backed into the mountainside. He ran it all with a propane generator, batteries, and solar. The solar would provide power for the house, and whatever wasn't used went into charging batteries. The generator ran electricity, and also re-charged the batteries with whatever wasn't being used. When he had the house built, he had gas lamps put in all the rooms (like camping lanterns with mantles) so he could use that for light if he wanted.

The iron fireplace in the living room had water pipes running through it, and it would also heat up water and send it into a reserve tank. He also had a propane hot water heater for backup. With his satellite dish, he had internet, and plenty of TV. It was a pretty neat system.

He had a huge propane tank like you usually see at gas stations to fill other people's bottles. He would have it filled late in the fall just before the snows hit, and just after the snows melted. He never ran out of light, power, propane, but eventually he sold the place...

How the hell are they going to shut off MY gas bottle . Propane $1.00something a gallon .Gasoline $3+ a gallon no shelf life no way to store large amounts. Get a grip .Buy or lease the biggest tank you can
afford and fill it off season at a discount. There is a reason cell towers all use Propane back up Generators. Really wish people responded with hands on instead of head up the ass!! A gasoline generator is the cheapest to buy and the least cost effective to run /a bandaid for the uninformed. Sort of like pissing the bed to stay warm .It sounds like it is a answer but in the long run not the best way to fix things.

Gasoline is the easiest to get refilled also. All you need a a section of hose--LOL
Have plenty of 'hands-on'.
When the last big Earthquake hit Ca. NG was shut off for almost 3 mos in places with the most damage.
Buried tank, I did not think of for NG. LPG use is common here--
FWIW: A built-in, LPG powered Generwreck damn near burned down my RV when the mother board fried, and spiked high ACV. It never 'tripped' the board's breaker either. Did 'fry' the wiring in the main junction box- Generwreck C/S was worthless and unresponsive.
I use Honda genny's now.
I have a pair of the 2K(EU2000i combo)portables for the RV and a EU6500iS for the house.
I also have over 100gals of fuel in my RV, and I never let the gas tanks in my other vehicles get below 2/3 full.

LG

Bubba,
Watch your Kw ratings with the NG it's a bit lower than LPG. I would do an LPG tank if possible, but your area will determine what is best/most convenient. I work for a generator repair company part time. Generac is the worst as far as warranty, Briggs and Stratton is one of the best. I have a 13Kw LPG stand by on my place (Briggs unit) and would never be without one again. It can run our whole house, but it's just the wife and I here so it's got a fairly easy life. Do your research on whomever you get to install it, I am constantly amazed at how many licensed electricians can F up a generator install. We constantly have to fix very basic stuff all the way up to very dumb dangerous install errors. Do the proper load calculations and then add a buffer, one of the biggest mistakes people make is trying to save a buck going with a smaller unit than they really need. You can really burn through some gas when these things get put under a high load, so if you get a bigger than average unit it will have to work less to do the same job. Just some observations from experience, hope this helps you a bit.

I have a Katolight 160 KW natural gas generator on an electronic transfer switch with a sub panel to provide the essentials in a power failure situation. I could not install larger because of a limited gas pressure in a long run to the street to the generator.
It essentially powered by a Chevy 350 engine. It worked continuously for 15 days after Hurricaine Sandy
My area gets lots of power failures, and many homes have these gas generators as standard equipment.
Baldor is also very good.

Thanks for all the input, and keep it coming. I'd certainly be up for an LPG unit over NG, I'm agnostic so long as it works. Since I won't have a NG line, it's just as easy for me to put in an LPG tank. Great advice about the buffer as well. Hadn't thought of that.

Is there a way to find qualified, experienced generator installation guy to do the job right the first time?

I have a Katolight 160 KW natural gas generator on an electronic transfer switch with a sub panel to provide the essentials in a power failure situation. I could not install larger because of a limited gas pressure in a long run to the street to the generator.
It essentially powered by a Chevy 350 engine. It worked continuously for 15 days after Hurricaine Sandy
My area gets lots of power failures, and many homes have these gas generators as standard equipment.
Baldor is also very good.
You need to drop that Katolight(which was bought out long ago) rating to 60KW, because chevy does not make a engine that will produce 160 KW at the flywheel turning 1800rpm let alone KW/E on Gasoline, NG or LP even running turbo's. Also Baldor/Granger is just a Gen-a-junk repackaged.

I have a 17.5kw Lister diesel.Have run the Listers for many years, but I believe their quality has taken a nose dive. My neighbor has a propane fired 10-12 kw Generac. It has proven to be a steaming pile. Some of this can be laid at the dealers door but not all. I doubt that it has 200 hours on it and has had numerous service calls. The last go around the service guy shrugged his shoulders mumbled and left. It is still DRT.
Lister Petter is a very high quality unit, your service guy does not know what he's doing. PM me, I'll see if I can help you via key strokes.

Many thanks Mr. Gunfighter, I do appreciate your offer. My Lister works just fine. It used to power my home and shop but we got hooked up to the local utility just about the time that diesel started it's serious upward spiral. I re-powered the unit and it now serves as stand-by.
My neighbor has the Generac and the problems.

Natural gas standby generator for home?

I put a Kholer unit in my house in Lake Charles. Ran on natural gas for many days after hurricane Rita tore through. Heat sources consume tons of energy so I hope you have gas heat and gas wart heater. I loved that unit. It was pretty quiet and ran at just the right pitch that is was more of a soothing hum. I personally would only run nat gas. Even if every thing is shutdown you can still live off the line pack. It cam with an automatic transfer switch. One thing is you need a power outlet near the unit to keep the battery charged. At least on mine the generator would not charge it's own starting battery.

Last edited:
At least on mine the generator would not charge it's own starting battery.
Never seen a Kohler that did not have a built in charging system if it had a starting battery.
Now that said,... most all auto start gen sets draw power 24/7/365 this is why a battery charger and power outlet is required at most units to maintain the battery voltage. Years ago on the dec 1 (Fast Response 1)controllers the battery charger was part of the control board, but most folks refused to read the owner/operator manual until after they burnt up the control board, at least once,... some folks had to do it twice,... or more. LOL
Kohler stopped putting the battery chargers on the mother boards and the public and some "experts" still had issue. Nothing is GI or public proof, but the root problem is with equipment education, be it of the owner, service monkey, sales person or the ass trying to get 50KW from a 40KW set of parts/plans still on the drawing board. There is so much hype in the power generation field that most of the time a used car salesman looks like a saint.

I was in the generator business for a few years. Still dabble from time to time. I installed hundreds of Generac generators, and have to say that the Kohler is the better choice. They cost a bit more than the Generac, but their QC is better. I've seen too many odd problems with Generac that were unacceptable. They either ran for 15 years without a problem, or they crashed during the first power outage. Remember, you're paying for peace of mind, not a toy that starts up weekly to burn your fuel.

Gunfighter you are right.

The issue on the battery charger was a combo of my error and the installers. We both missed it. But I had it installed the day after Hurricane Rita hit which was only a couple of weeks after Katrina. I had commercial electricians who were repairing the draw bridges in the area hook it up for me. They didn't have much time as they were a little preoccupied and worked on it basically between the fading light of dusk and the sundown curfew. I didn't think about it until it failed to auto start for a weekly test. It was an easy fix I just assumed that the machine would charge its own battery. You know what you get for assuming.

If you put one in I highly recommend the regularly scheduled auto test be implemented to identify issues before you really need it. It was really nice to run 7 tons of air conditioning during the 2 weeks of no power in heat and humidity. Going without power and then running on a generator does make you more aware of all of the little devices you use. I always had to remind my wife that the little curling iron that she wanted to use drew more power than a refrigerator.

I have a cabin in Montana. I have a solar setup, a large battery bank and a 6500 Watt Honda. I almost never run the genny anymore, but then again my energy usage is very low. Mostly lights, TV/Xbox and a super efficient freezer. My fridge is propane.

I run a mid 90's Kohler 10kVA unit that is power by a Kubota diesel. It powers the entire home and shop. Granted all heating and cooking uses propane, but I do have a well, freezer and a 4ton A/C unit. All lighting is LED with some CFL, except for shop. No problems doing everyday things including laundry. Once in a while I'll hear an RPM change change, but it never last more than 2 seconds.

Generator and bulk fuel are contained in a heated portion of the shop. This solves many of the maintenace and reliability problems.

Is there a way to find qualified, experienced generator installation guy to do the job right the first time?
Best way is to ask any people you trust with a standby already installed. I kid you not you should see some of the things we come across when doing service work, on installs done by so called "professionals" or "licensed contractors". As I was told when I got my Residential Builders License 30 years ago "It only means it's legal for you to do the work, it don't mean you know what your doing".

Last edited: