• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Navy Laser Weaon

Good to see lasers being tested. Looks like it is a Solid State laser with the potential to replace the SeaRAM and other point defense systems in the future?

I remember back in the early 60's reading in Popular Mechanics and Scientific American about the first development of lasers. Now even Lowlights got one.

Here's a photo of the event.
FB_IMG_1561587626762.jpg

Can't believe it's taken this long for this stuff to come out. Anybody remember the airborne laser the Air Force hax back in tge 90s?

Can't believe it's taken this long for this stuff to come out. Anybody remember the airborne laser the Air Force hax back in tge 90s?
I remember the ABL. However, I believe it was a chemical rather that solid state laser.

I think the ABL had enough chemicals for a limited number of shots before it had to land and replenish.

FC569884-C47B-4837-B5B9-4BAC6177C8B6.jpeg

Are ya’ll talking about this?

I always wondered if the shaft used to power the lift fan in the F-35B could be used to charge a laser weapon positioned where the lift fan currently sits. Assuming the size of the system could fit. I believe that shaft can create 29,000hp which is 21,625,296watts. Thats a whole lot of potential electricity.

Lasers are scary and as well as anti materiel use, they are quite possibly also the future of non lethal threat neutralisation. There are kids building DIY lasers capable of instantaneous permanent blindness on YouTube FFS. They are silent and leave no trace behind that they were employed. No GSR, no shell casings, no projectile etc. Just a bunch of fucked up people who weren't wearing eye protection.

That's the one… and yes I believe it was a pumped dye laser. It's been later upgraded to believe solid state… but that was just a rumor from somebody I know that worked with Lockheed and NASA.

Lol...
Similar concept… I was working on a MASER couple of decades ago... I wanted to make apple sauce at about a quarter mile. I had a real hard time trying to find a power source for a 250kw magnetron...lol. Had to keep the thing in the garage because the computers in the house had issues.