• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NCPPRC LR Shooting Clinic AAR

NorCal Vu

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2004
Sacramento Area
First off I would like to thank the 25+ NCPPRC members that gave up their day of shooting to put on this clinic. An event like this would never happen without the dedication of our club members.

Thank you to all the folks that invested their time, efforts and resources to come join us for a great day on the range.

Mr. Rob Thomas aka Pthfdr is the man that spearheaded the efforts for this event

Thank you to Surgeon Rifles, Newman Precision, TAC READY, and Mike with CSGUNWORKS for sponsoring the raffle. Please remember to contact our sponsors and thank them.

http://www.newmanprecision.com/
http://www.surgeonrifles.com/homepage/
http://www.csgunworks.com/
http://www.tacready.com/

Clinic kicked off at 0800 with 44 shooters showing out of the 50 that signed up.

The weather this Saturday couldn’t have been any nicer to shoot in. It was a lil chilly in the AM but warmed up to the mid 70s by the afternoon. The wind gods let us slide and we had very little wind to deal with. There was just enough to show the shooters the effects of wind on their bullets at distance but not beat them up too bad.
We started out with a really quick brief by Shawn and I on our club and what this clinic is about. We then proceeded into a safety overview given by David K. of Tac Ready. Safety is always #1 on our list of objectives.

Greg and David did an awesome job on giving their lecture and demonstration on prone shooting techniques.

Marc S. was up next to make sure all of our shooters knew how to run their optics. I believed a lot of our shooters walked away learning a great deal about their optics after Marc’s segment.

Ed was next on stage to give shooters a high overview of wind reading and what to look for on the range when trying to read wind. Ed also touched on what each shooter should be recording in his data book while on the firing line. I notice a lot of notes being taken while shooters were on the firing line. Ed did an outstanding job on this portion.

Rob T. explained how to read the dope cards that were printed up for each student according the ammo specs that were given to us. Each student also had a range card to record scope adjustment, wind calls and where each hit landed on or off target.

Next up with Jason B. and a medic brief. Honestly this went on too long and strayed way far off topic for what we were doing. Our bust and we will look to improve on this.

After about 2.5 hours of classroom time it was time to hit the range. We split up into two squads with 22 shooters on each squad. Everyone was transported onto the 1K range via trucks by the range crew and was then given a safety brief and quick lesson on how to pull and mark targets. A lot of guys have never been in a HP Range Pit before.
Jacob aka GrandSlam was our pit boss with big Rod running the line. Students were able to gather dope on the 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900, and 1000yard line. Everyone had 10 minutes at each distance to fine tune their drop data for the given distance.

Every two to three shooters had a line coach to help with calling the wind, adjusting elevation/windage and fine tuning their prone shooting positions. After relay one was done shooting they were transported back to the pits via trucks so that 2nd relay could come out and shoot.

2nd relay had a touch more wind to deal with at distance but I believe the majority of the students were able to get on paper at 1K. There were a few folks that found out the limitations of their ammo and hardware on Saturday and were unable to make it out to 1K.

After all the rounds were down range we met back at the staging area for a BBQ done by Shawn and myself. Stats on this were as follows. 100 hamburger patties and 90 hotlinks were easily taken care of by the students and range crew.

We then had a raffle and Q&A portion that finished off the day.

This is the 2nd LR Shooting Clinic our club has put on and I believe overall it was a huge success. There are folks already wanting to sign up for our September LR clinic. The range crew did an outstanding job and our students were a pleasure to work. Everyone was safe and had a great time.

Were things perfect? No, and they will never be. However, NCPPRC will always continue to improve our product and hopefully help grow the LR shooting community.

Thank you to all that were involved,

Vu Pham

Re: NCPPRC LR Shooting Clinic AAR

CIMG0957.jpg

CIMG0970.jpg

CIMG0963.jpg

CIMG0959.jpg

CIMG0968.jpg

CIMG0969.jpg

CIMG0974.jpg

CIMG0975.jpg

CIMG0977.jpg

CIMG0983.jpg

Vu.
Thanks to you and the Club for
a VERY informative Event!

My very first attempt at 1K
was on target!
Too much fun!

I learned a lot and will be out
for next months match...

Steve

Glad you guys were able to take something away from the clinic. Hope to see you on the firing line soon.

Vu

I hope the greens keepers on that back nine earn alot of coin.

I dunno....you guys have a train up every month - is that kinda like cheatin?

Sun screen...can't forget the sun screen.

All kidding aside. You guys are very fortunate to have such a great place to shoot as well as a squared away group of folks pushing the discipline.

I plan to see you soon.

DSMcG

wow....the grass is green.......Vu...how did you do that ? last time i was there everything was BROWN