• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Near Manufacturing

erice

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
Ca
Hey guys,
Back in December I went to my local Cupertino gun store to get a base for my Sako TRG-42. I paid half down. Well since then all I've gotten is the run around from the shop. This is the list of excuses so far so far.
1. He takes awhile, could be a month to 6 weeks.
2. It was shipped, he's researching it, he ships Parcel Post so it takes aawhile
3. He ere-designed the mount, should be real soon.
4. I e-mailed him, waiting for response
5. I will re email him now and get back to you.

I have a few questions for hide guys using Mr. Near's stuff.
1. Did you have to wait over 2 months for your item to be delivered?
2. If you did indeed have to wait over 2 months was the wait worth the quality of the product?

I find waiting almost 3 months for a base to be unacceptable, especially with no ETA being given at all as to when I can expect it.
As a side note on 1/27/11, one month ago today, I also ordered from the same Cupertino gun store a Bore guide in .338LM, 3 Pro-shot nylon brushes, and one box of factory lapua ammo. None of which I've seen yet.

Guess I need a new gun shop, or source for Sako stuff in .338 Lapua.
I'm frustrated in that this gun was bought in late November, and I still haven't shot it due to the above situation(s).

Re: Near Manufacturing

I ended up going with somethng else, but talked to him once. Near was very responsive, answering my call right away and the questions I had. It wouldn't have occurred to me to go through a middle man.

his base was recommended to me by the guy at the shop

I have waited maybe 2 months to get his rings but I wasn't in a hurry. Heck, I've waited even longer for other stuff like my S&Bs. One of my business partners may have even waited longer for his custom base.

The Alpha mount is very well made. I have 4 Alpha mounts and they are currently my preferred scope rings.

Give them a call. Richard has always answered my calls and answered my questions. Some of the rings I ordered were odd heights so they took longer to get in my hands. His standard in stock stuff usually takes about 2 weeks to get in hand.

Cant say enough about the guy or his product, its some of the best stuff you can buy! Give him a call maybe it got lost coming from Canada, I had a base get lost in the mail one time called him up and he said I should have it by now and resent another one.

I cannot say enough good about Richard Near. I have dealt with him a few times over the past few years and his products have always been absolutely top notch and his level of service has been exemplary. My guess is that you need to find a new shop and if you are looking for stuff from Near, deal with Richard directly.

Better rings and mounts I've not seen. Excellent customer service as well.

I would call Richard directly.... I call, talked to him, and had my TRG42 base and Alphamount in less than a week.... His stuff is top notch!

Sounds like maybe a disconnect between your dealer and Near. I have purchased many bases and Alpha mounts from Richard directly, with a couple being custom. Richard was very responsive and wait time was at a minimum. I think Richards only road block that sometimes causes a delay is the Nitrate finishing since he has to sub-contract that.

Sometimes it's worth the wait for a quality product, and once you have the Near product in hand, you'll be glad you didn't go with another product.

Good Luck!

Call Richard today. Deal with him directly, not thru a dealer. Your dealer may have not even put the call in yet. I've had crappy experiences with dealers. It shouldn't be much more than a couple weeks to receive one of Richard's bases, especially for a Sako since he makes a ton of them and usually keeps them in stock.

Thanks for the advice and replies guys. I have heard nothing but great stuff about Richard's products from everyone. I have also been reading that Richard ships his stuff fairly quickly etc, so I'm surprised that it has taken this long. I really do think the disconnect is with my dealer, as it has been over a month for a few simple items, and some ammo that could be a bit difficult to source

Call him, I bought 3 Alphamounts and a 20MOA rail for my 700 over the past couple years. Don't know about shipping south, but got my goodies within a week. YMMV

Yes, you need a new gun shop. I spoke to Richard a few times and emailed him before I made my purchase. He always responded quickly to emails, and answered all my questions. I ordered a 25 MOA base and his Alpha mount for my TRG last Thursday and he air mailed it to me this past Monday. I should get it any day now.

As stated here many times call Richard directly and you will find he is one of the best. His customer service is hard to equal. I have ordered from him over the years and have been more impressed each time. The last time (2-3 years ago) I ordered a brake for my TRG and he asked what year it was made, apparently the thread interface (not pitch or size but how the threads are actually shaped, Im not that up on machining) changed and he had some brakes instock but were for the old threads. He said I had the new threads and he did not want to sell me one he had instock b/c it would not be as good as he could make it, eventhough it would work. He asked me to wait for him to finish up these new brakes and I did. This could of lost a sale but he was more concerned about quality than making a sale. This got him a customer for life!

As others have stated, Richard is top notch. I have 3 of his bases and 2 alphamounts. His service response is impeccable. I also have bases and rings from Badger, Nightforce, Leupold Mark IV, Warne, Farrell and TPS. Bottom line, Near bases and rings are the best, bare none.

hey all, I heard from Richard today via e-mail. As I thought he has TRG bases in stock and can get one to me in 1-2 weeks. He asked for some detail regarding my set up before making a recommendation. I forwarded the info on to him, and am looking forward to his reply/recommendation(s). He also has no recollection of my dealer ordering a base from him. He was not at the shop however, and didn't have access to his records. I for one think its a major screw-up by the dealer. As stated originally I ordered some other accessories over a month ago, with no ETA being given as to when I can expect to see it. I will be finding a new dealer, or even better, I would love to get recommendations from my fellow hide members as to who is GTG.
Thanks in advance folks

I called him one afternoon and he pulled my order as we were talking and had it within 5 working days only issue I have had is a long front screw on an Alphamount Hunter and my dremel fixed that issue which was a non issue ! I now have 2 A Mount Hunters and a 3 Ring fixin to be mounted on his 30 MOA rail for my 338-378 and they are works of art for sure ! Told him what I had and he knew exactly what I needed ! Great person to do business with and he used to be a competition shooter years ago competing at Raton & Phoenix ! I would say if his shooting was as good as his machining he was very competitive at shooting !

I called him one afternoon and he pulled my order as we were talking and had it within 5 working days only issue I have had is a long front screw on an Alphamount Hunter and my dremel fixed that issue which was a non issue ! I now have 2 A Mount Hunters and a 3 Ring fixin to be mounted on his 30 MOA rail for my 338-378 and they are works of art for sure ! Told him what I had and he knew exactly what I needed ! Great person to do business with and he used to be a competition shooter years ago competing at Raton & Phoenix ! I would say if his shooting was as good as his machining he was very competitive at shooting !

The OP hasn't been active on this forum in over 3 years (the date of the post before yours).

I guess I'll be the odd man out. I called Mr. Near a few years ago when his mounts were first starting to make an appearance. He was an ass to me and I won't ever buy a new product from him.

BUT, I will give credit where credit is due and his products seem to be top notch.

I don't know about all of his stuff but there isn't anything better made than the alphamount.

I had Richard's base and alphamount for my TRG when I had it. I bought another alphamount from him after that and had no issues with him responding to me. For your TRG the NEAR base is a must. I'd call Richard directly or email him and order direct, straight from the man.

FWIW I have also dealt with Cameron Murphy at Murphy Precision and he is another solid guy to work with. If I needed a "custom" scope base he'd be the one I'd call.

Oh shit I didn't even notice!

Didn't see that either but you are right about Cam Murphy, another first class individual. I called him up about a ss base. He did not have one coated in stock but told me before the end of the day, my base would be in the mail. He coated it and put it in the mail that day. Would buy from him again without question.