• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Nebraska Bowhunt.... Again

Rustybroadhead

Anschutz North America
Minuteman
May 15, 2012
Alabama
Guys,
It is finally time once again for my annual trip to North Eastern Nebraska for a bow hunt. I have been taking this trip for the last 5 years and for the last five years I have not fired a shot in anger.... I hope #6 will be the ticket as I am really getting tired of eating tag sandwiches! We will be hunting Nov. 8th through the 13th right around Royal, NE. Last year a bunch of you guys that live in that area were nice enough to give me scouting reports in the weeks coming up to my trip. I sure was hoping that I could talk you guys into doing that again. In general, has the deer herd recovered from the EHD outbreak a couple of years ago? Is anyone seeing any decent bucks moving around yet? Oh, and the real big one... Does it look like the corn be out by the time season comes in???

Thanks in advance!

I hunt near the Center, NE area. Our numbers are climbing since the EHD outbreak, but still nothing like it use to be. We have seen a lot of nice 2 year old bucks with potential in the years to come. There has only been one buck with age (3 to 4 years old) to show his face in front of our cameras. We had some record breaking rain over the spring/summer, the crops and forages are as good as ever. The only problem for hunters is we are looking at a later than average harvest. My guess is there will be plenty of corn in the fields come November. We are just getting started on soybeans as we speak, and the corn is far from being dry enough.

Here is some of the young bucks we have been seeing......

znuatl.jpg

35lrh90.jpg

1zm19p4.jpg

Last edited:
Bribri thanks for the news and good to hear from you again! You have some good looking critters running around. That last one has a little of the non typical thing going on... cool! Hate the harvest is going to be late but I guess all the rain has helped everyone business wise (healthy crops). All we saw last year was young deer, which we all kind of expected. The landowner did go put out one trail camera for us about 10 days before we got there last year. Had several small bucks but one really nice 12 pt. If he survived gun season last year, he will probably score in the 180s this year.

Have you read or seen anything on when they are predicting the rut up there? The first year we went, we hit it just right and the deer were nuts.... Every year since then, we have not really seen much if any rut activity at all. I know we will be up there on a full moon.... Hope that will trigger it!

Hey guys how is the McCook area ? I'm going there in Nov for whitetail with a rifle, it's my first time in NE.

Hey guys how is the McCook area ? I'm going there in Nov for whitetail with a rifle, it's my first time in NE.

You are a good bit south and west of the area I have been going, so I can't tell you much about it. Hopefully some of the guys that live in that area will chime in shortly.

It has been several years since I have been to Nebraska, but when I was there I hunted just a but west and south of McCook. The area is flat and open, which will tend to concentrate the white tails along the riverbottoms. Mule deer and hybrids also inhabit the area so if your tag is white tail only, pay careful attention before pulling the trigger. You should be able to do well if you can get access to some land with standing agriculture- like alfalfa. We hunted a small ranch on the republican river and the deer ran through it in herds.

Thanks for the advice my cousin has already warned me about the mule/white tail, make sure before you pull the trigger.