• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Nebraska Speed Goat

ddubas

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2007
Sidney,NE
Here is my Nebraska speed goat. Right at 13 tall 6 in bases and 4 in cutters. Not bad, saw bigger ones, just couldn't get on them.
DSCN1906.jpg

DSCN1907.jpg

Re: Nebraska Speed Goat

He was bedded in a wheat stubble, but I had a large dirt mound between me and the goats. Thought it would be less than a hundred yard shot, using the dirt mound for cover. But a pick up stopped on the road and he stood up so I took a 220 yard shot with my .243

Nice buck, glad it didint full out split the scene on you due to the road guy.

Nice Goat. Could the truck see you guys hunting? Some just don't understand

The guys from the road could see me. Not the first time it happened. Had two pick ups stop and watch me stalk another heard the day before. That group of goats was a 1/2 mile or better off the road, but they all stood up once those pick ups stopped and watched the show. My stalk was over once they all stood up. My guess is most goats in Nebraska are shot, or shot at, from the road.

USMC I was hunting southwest of Kimball. Anywhere from 1 mile to 6 miles from the Colorado/Nebraska state line.

StanwoodSpartan PM me and I might be able to help get you going in the right direction for an archery hunt. The northwest corner of Nebraska probably has the best chance of finding a big buck, but most of the landowners I talked to let me on with no issues as long as I shot more than one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D squared</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMC I was hunting southwest of Kimball. Anywhere from 1 mile to 6 miles from the Colorado/Nebraska state line. </div></div>

Oh yea, I know that country well. I grew up in Sidney and have family on both sides of the border and in Wyoming. When I retire from this gun club I'm going back.

Funny I currently live in Sindey and work for Cabela's. Not from Sidney, but grew up in Nebraska.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D squared</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny I currently live in Sindey and work for Cabela's. Not from Sidney, but grew up in Nebraska.</div></div>

Small world, I worked at Cabela's in the Sidney store the summer after I got out of the Marine Corps in 1996. I worked at the store in Kearney while I attended UNK before I came back into the USMC.

I'd imagine the goats in NE are much better table fare than the ones we get at my uncles ranch in SoDak. his goats forage on sage all year and they are committed to being ground, cut with pork fat and turned into breakfast sausage. they just don't taste good cooked any other way.

On the OTHER hand, the mountain lion he took a couple years back was MUCH better eating. tasted just like pork but had a "clean" taste to it...hard to explain, but the back straps from the lion were just fantastic.

Any deer or antelope i shoot get ground up with pork/pork fat. The only thing i keep whole are the backstraps/tenderloins. Those usually get wrapped in bacon.