• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Gauge Tool?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
What kind of difference might one expect by culling out brass that has consistent neck thickness vs brass that does not? I have been mulling over getting the Redding Case Neck Gauge.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46:case-neck-gauge

This is for an AR15 built with accuracy in mind, but not sure it will care much about neck thickness variations. I won't be neck turning for the AR, just weeding out brass that it is way out of spec (using Winchester brass). I do intend on having a 6mmBR bolt gun where I do want very good accuracy and would expect this tool to be more useful here, and will be doing neck turning.

- Phil

Re: Neck Gauge Tool?

A ball mic will read .0003 or better accurately over and over again, no dial can do that, for fast sorting the Redding tool is designed for that, but for precise readings a percision tool is required, somewhere in between is the NECO Concentricity tool which reads runout, thickness, banana curves, if you ever think you might turn necks get the Mitutoyo, sorting only Redding, a little of everything NECO.

I should have stated my question better. The ball mic may read accurately down to .0003" inch, but is that degree of accuracy of any benefit? The dial indicator can show down to .0005", and I know that assumes there is no slop on the mandrel (probably some).

I just want to be sure I get the best neck thickness measurement tool. In time, I will want to get best accuracy out of a 6mmBR bolt gun at 300 and 600 yards.

- Phil

I think buying some stuff we think will make a noticeable difference in our shooting is a waste of money, this maybe one of those things, especially when you consider it takes twice the marksman to drive a semiauto than it does a bolt gun, so get the Redding and let the rest of know if it's a worthwhile investment

I think for my purposes, the Redding tool is sufficient. Even it may not make that much difference, if any, but if I have lots of runout on the neck, I can better tell if it is due to case neck thickness variation or the neck exterior not being concentric with the case body. If I have this wrong, please correct me!

- Phil