• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Neck Turning & Annealing

dariof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
So NV & So CA
I know many here anneal their brass for better concentricity and longer brass life.

But how many turn the necks, or do you just buy top quality brass that's supposed to be concentric?

Thoughts, as I am contemplating neck turning, but maybe it's easier just to buy new Lapua brass.

I do want to reload for accuracy and get into 1000 + yards shooting......

Thanks.

I have to neck turn with my 260 Remington. Lapua brass averages a neck thickness of
.015 to .016 depending on the lot and my chamber is too tight for that. I have to turn my necks to .013 for the best results.

Right now I am using .308 brass that I sized down to .260 Remington. I have to turn those down to .013 as well. By sizing them down to .260 it work-hardens the hell out of the brass. I have started annealing with a hand torch with good results.

I turn necks down to .013 as well... I use lake city and it's absolutely crazy how much variation some of those necks have in them...
Hoodlum

Lapua AND neck-turn, that's the recipe!

I recommend Nielson's Pumpkin neck turner. Set it and forget about it.
Bruno's Shooters usually has them in stock, as does Kelbys.