• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need 6.5 Build Input ASAP

txaggie929

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Hey everybody,

Had an unexpected opportunity to build a custom rifle presented to me yesterday, but it is of a time sensitive manner. And frankly, I'm slightly overwhelmed by the amount of options on items I'm not overly educated on.

Action will be a Stiller Tac chambered in 6.5 CM. This will be a do-it-all gun for me - range toy out to 800 (maybe more if I have the opportunity) and deer/hog hunting. I know that's a crap description, but I don't have unlimited funds to build multiple rifles.

Main item I am trying to finalize is barrel. I have the option of Bartlein, Brux, or Shillen.

Leaning towards a Bartlein barrel, cut and threaded at 22" (may do a brake or a suppressor later on) , 1:8 twist, and either a bull sporter or Varmint/Sendero barrel contour.

I’d go 22-24” rem varmint. 24” for me is preferred, but 22 will do just about the same. Rem varmint is a nice compromise for hunting/range with still being able to shoot 10rds and not have it walk all over.

I’d stay with bartlein or brux. And definitely have it threaded now. I run brakes on everything including my hunting rifle. I want to make sure I make a good shot so being able to watch the bullet hit is nice

Reactions: mjh30
All three will shoot.

I’ve had great luck with Shilen but my next barrel is a brux.
Bartlein is certainly top level.

You really can’t go wrong but a cut rifled will be more popular here.

Just pick whatever is quickly available a go with it.

Sendero is a nice compromise.

I agree with the above on contour. I also agree all three manufacturers make great barrels. If for some reason you aren't wanting to thread the barrel right now Witt Machine makes some nice bolt on breaks.

Ok, new barrel choices are the following: Bartlein Bull Sporter or a Brux medium varmint profile.

I think I've decided to cut the barrel 18-20". About a 2.5ish pound weight difference between the two profiles in a standard 27" blank.

Again, this will be a do it all gun. Which one is best suited?

Reactions: Jgunner
Ok, new barrel choices are the following: Bartlein Bull Sporter or a Brux medium varmint profile.

I think I've decided to cut the barrel 18-20". About a 2.5ish pound weight difference between the two profiles in a standard 27" blank.

Again, this will be a do it all gun. Which one is best suited?

701637A3-2ED8-4835-9BF3-59DA7158EC76.gif

Reactions: Who?Me?
Im building an 18” 6.5cm and just bought another 18” barreled rifle in 6.5cm as well. With berger factory ammo or hand loads, you can get the velocity you need to 1k yards and beyond and still have a rifle you can get out of your truck and hike around with in the thick. Shorter rifles tend to have lower sd’s and are tack drivers, toss a can on and get a lil velocity back and still have a normal length gun. Win win

Med varmint. The difference in weight between the two profiles at a given length might not be much but less forward weight will improve the balance as a hunting rifle. Muzzle rise can be compensated for with the right break.

Reactions: Jgunner
Any of those three barrel brands in a medium Palma contour no longer than 20” plus brake.
Cheers

You can't go wrong with a Bartlein from what I have read/heard.

I have a 6.5 Ruger RPR, and I was researching barrel length- the shorter type like you want.
Do a Google search, there are articles on just this barrel length issue. From, the research, there seems to be a breaking point in terms of performance (Muzzle Velocity, speed at terminal end) at 19" long. Not exact science, but the reviewers seemed to follow logical methods and come to logical conclusions.

I personally wouldn't go lower than 20", just to hedge bets, and look at your twist rate to see if a smaller twist would make up for some of the velocity and drag that you would lose, compared to a 26" barrel.

do you wanna shortie just to try it out? to decrease weight? or better packability?
I want better packability, but instead of shortening the barrel, I bought a SL/switched lug barrel system for the new 6.5 PRC that I ordered-- so I can take the barrel out for packing, then put on when ready to shoot.
YMMV. Good luck and let us know what you decide

Went with the Brux varmint barrel. I read that second article last night. For my practical application, I'm really considering 18"

I went 22 inch Bartlein ,sendero contour and it balanced out great with bravo stock
Ended up about 13.5 pounds with scope and bipod

The full barrel weighed in at 5.23 lbs @ 27" I think....so once I lop off 7-9", I think that should pull that weight down to around 3.5-4 lbs roughly.

GAP had a 6.5 creed hunter for sale on their ready to ship page. I had them chop the Bartlein #3 barrel to 20” and thread 5/8x24 for my TBAC CB. Templar V1 action, 15 MOA non-typical rail, manners EH2 stock, APA DBM. With suppressor and 5 round mag it’s pretty light. I don’t intend to bang steel all day with it though.

Reactions: Black Bart
Very nice man!

I’m cutting the barrel at either 18 or 20 and got an XlR Carbon chassis.

Action and barrel will be assembled this week. Thinking I should be in the mid 8# range w/out scope. We shall see.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16