• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a good 22-250

texan79423

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2020
I am looking for accurate 22-250 for dog and coyotes. All though the gun will see more time at range than hunting. Recommendations please.

If you don't state a budget you're just pissing in the wind.

This could be a 300.00 or 3000.00 dollar thread as stated above more information is need before recommending a rifle

Ok guys. I need a off the shelf bolt action 22-250. I plan to mostly use as target gun that I can coyote hunt with occassionly. I currently have a Ruger American and vortex diamondback scope that is fair but not often MOA at 100 yds

Howa. Buy the barrelled action and drop it in a KRG bravo.
The problem is, most factory .22-250's are 1-12 or 14 twist.
They likely won't shoot anything over 60 grains worth a shit.
A 1-7 twist and you'll be able to stabilize up to 90 grains with the velocity from a 22-250.
Have you considered a .224 valkyrie?

Reactions: RMB
If you’re on a budget take a look at the tikka. I’ve got an old Remington which is fine, the only problem being that it’s a 1 in 14 twist and anything over 55 grains begins to open up. The sweet spot for that barrel is the 52 gr Sierra’s. I’ve picked up a few tikkas the past couple of years and they all have run great right out of the box.

Savage if you wanna go cheap
Tikka my 1st choice, have a T3 Super Varmint in 22-250 and love it
If you have a need for something nicer you can find a Bergara, Nosler, Barret Fieldcraft or maybe the Sako 85 Varmint with the set trigger

A barrel burner like a 22-250 isn't a great choice for a primarily range rifle. I would get a 223 instead. For off the shelf guns the 223 will actually be a better mid and long range rifle than the 22-250 because of how many of them you can get with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist these days. With a only couple exceptions the 22-250's are pretty much all 1:14 or 1:12 at best which limit your bullet choices to the short light ones that get blown around by the wind a lot more.

Ok guys. I need a off the shelf bolt action 22-250. I plan to mostly use as target gun that I can coyote hunt with occassionly. I currently have a Ruger American and vortex diamondback scope that is fair but not often MOA at 100 yds
Try different, dare I say better, ammo.

Like others mentioned, the 22-250 is a barrel burner (< 1,500 rounds) which can happen fast is you hit the range often. Tikka, Bergara, Howa, and Savage all make nice varmint rifles in 22-250 and pre-2007 Remingtons are usually very accurate as well. Also, the Ruger American Predator rifles are very accurate, so if your's isn't grouping maybe double check everything is ok with that rifle.

I've got a howa .22-250 that i bought several years back in the kryptek hogue stock. That hogue stock is flimsy as hell but I haven't invested in a better one because I haven't been able to find much info on using dbm's with those rounds. I've been told they can cause feeding issues. I may just end up going with an H&S with internal mag, but just curious if anyone has any recommendations for running this caliber out of dbm's. Are most having to modify mags to ensure more reliable feeding? I primarily just run factory ammo.

22-250 is not very popular here. Shame. One of the all time great varmint rounds. Can be very accurate in a good rifle as many others can be as well.
For 500 yards and in nothing wrong with 55-60 grain bullets and they are safer in areas with possibility of others in the area.

Reactions: Charlie112
I shoot sub .5 moa at 200 yards with my Savage 22-250. Never had any trouble out to 500 on song dogs. It is a 1-12 twist but I shoot 55grainers for coyotes, so it is not an issue. Will be rebarreling soon and going 1-8 twist.

Tikka Varmint, they shoot, no bull shit!!!

Yep, no bullshit. I load 50gn V-max's in Lapua brass with Varget. It's a hammer on P-dogs.
Screenshot_20200515-161941.png

Reactions: Charlie112
If you want the best, go with a Cooper! I have one with a 1 in 8 twist and it'll shoot bug holes all day long!

A
I am looking for accurate 22-250 for dog and coyotes. All though the gun will see more time at range than hunting. Recommendations please.
[/QUOTE

As has been mentioned, go with the lowest twist rate you can find. I didn’t know Tikka made a 1-8 version 22-250. That would be my pick.

I've got a howa .22-250 that i bought several years back in the kryptek hogue stock. That hogue stock is flimsy as hell but I haven't invested in a better one because I haven't been able to find much info on using dbm's with those rounds. I've been told they can cause feeding issues. I may just end up going with an H&S with internal mag, but just curious if anyone has any recommendations for running this caliber out of dbm's. Are most having to modify mags to ensure more reliable feeding? I primarily just run factory ammo.
Ran my 22-250 on a BigHorn TL-2 with DBM and AI .308 mags no problem for the entire life cycle of the barrel.

Reactions: jb0311
Ran my 22-250 on a BigHorn TL-2 with DBM and AI .308 mags no problem for the entire life cycle of the barrel.
Good to know. I just sold mine to swap it out for a T1x so I'm out of the .22-250 game for now, but I'll keep that in mind if I end up with one again. I know back when the Oryx chassis came out MDT didn't inspire much confidence that I would have the best of luck running my .22-250 in it so I got a little gun shy (no pun intended) spending the money to try.

Tikka all the way. I have an older 595 sport master that is just devastating on prairie dogs. I would recommend a brake as you may get scope blackout. Only other thing is get the tighter twist. 1:14 really limits you. Will be moving to a 1:8 when this barrel is done.

Tikka T3x if you're budget minded, solid and dependable, won't break the bank.
Kimber Varmint if you want to step up, maybe you prefer wood stocks.
Cooper 54 Jackson Game if you want something really special. You'll never regret a Cooper.
(Disclaimer: I own two of the three above, will eventually have the third, no regrets)