• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a good side arm holster

popeyecop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
Chester, Illinois
I need a good side arm holster. I have the standard drop leg that i use when i do entry stuff but when i have to go and ghille up and put that thing on its in the way when i try to crawl. I would like to hear the imput from you guys as to what works best for you.

I thought about putting it in some type bag type holster that i can move around on my waist but just not sure. I carry a Glock 21.

Re: Need a good side arm holster

Bladetech. I use em for my G34, mags and ar mags.... never had an issue with any of em. best of luck

I've had good luck with the serpa. They are durable, and have simple retention. Been using the same one for 2 1/2 years in Afg.

I think I will try the Serpa. I picked one up about a year ago and forgot that i had it. Panchop49 thanks for the reminder. I carry the G21 for work and a Sig 220 for offduty and hadn't used the Serpa for quite some time plus i just moved across town so it's still packed up.

Serpa's are known to fail and are banned from nearly every major training facility due to safety issues. I would recommend Raven Concealment, Blade Tech or Comp-Tac.

Everything made by man has been known to fail. I've never heard of a major training facility which has banned Serpas. The one I show up at certainly has not. Please name some which have.

However, the OP asked about a holster when ghillied up. For crawling around on the ground, it's hard to beat a good flapped military holster. It keeps the weapon up high on your belt, and keeps out dirt.

Look at these:

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/CatList.php?numSubCat=26

I have heard of one place that has banned the serpa, but if I recall their was excuse was the retention release places your trigger finger in a location that is vulnerable to causing an ND during your draw. I don't even see how that is possible as the trigger finger always ends up straight and along the frame just where it should be. If you are farmiliar and train with the gear you use, which everyone should, then that woundn't be an issue anyhow. As far as being known to fail, I can only speak for mine, which has been quite reliable under daily use while deployed. As for me, I had a kydex no retention job at one point, it was retired after my pistol was draging along behind me on its lanyard while recovering from a roof top with my long gun and all my gear in hand down a rickety hadj ladder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
However, the OP asked about a holster when ghillied up. For crawling around on the ground, it's hard to beat a good flapped military holster. It keeps the weapon up high on your belt, and keeps out dirt.

Look at these:

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/CatList.php?numSubCat=26
</div></div>

I've been looking at one of these for an FNP-9. Haven't heard much about them or seen them in person. I would love to hear some feedback if anyone has any experience with them.

When I'm in the weeds, I carry my G22 in a IWB holster at 4 o'clock, and cover it with the blouse or ghillie to keep it out of the dirt and low profile. It's not ideal but I got tired of the pistol catching on everything as well. The way you have your gear set up (duty belt, pack, LBV, etc) kind of dictates the type of holster and/or where you can wear it. To each his own.

The Bianchi UM84II will foot the bill about perfectly. They offer excellent coverage over the entire pistol including all but the last 2" of the pistol grip. Great coverage over the front and rear sights which is arguably the most crucial thing to protect (aside from the trigger of course).

I have beaten the crap out of one that I use with an H&K USP 45 over the last few years and other than some tattered seams and surface wear, it is plugging along nicely!