• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need a good Smith near Charleston WV

Re: Need a good Smith near Charleston WV

Hey bud go on over to Cross Lanes. (64west from Charleston.)
Take the Cross Lanes exit barring right. Pass through 1 traffic light. When you see Everest Institute (on left) get into the middle turning lane. The very next street (merging into Big Tyler Road) after Everest is Douglas Barrels drive way. They'll fix you up and give you a tour.

If you get to Tim Horton's or Dominos you've gone to far my man.

If you need help finding any ranges let me know. Or gun shops.

Thanks Gents! You in the Charleston area boone? I've got about 10 acres for a backyard and use it for my short stuff, wouldn't mind finding a place to stretch em out some though! Any 1K ranges local? Thanks again!

Bill

Hey bud,
I work in Charleston.

The Putnam County gun located in Eleanor is the largest rifle range around at 300 yards. Further away Beckley has a 500 yard range. These are the two longest rifle ranges around us. Now you will probably receive some pms from members here that will invite you to private land with 1500 yards. I did, I'll be taking them up on it this summer.

Putnam County gun club is (while only 300 yards) awesome. 5 different pistol ranges along with a Cowboy action town, yes a actually town set up to shoot steel. You are allowed to shoot the targets (Not while cowboy action competition) with any pistol. The ammo used has to be lead bullets. So running through the town with a .22 Ruger Mk2 is a blast. Membership is $100 the first year and $75 a year after that. Full NRA sponsorship and CMP certified.

If you want to check out that range give me a shout I'll take you out there this summer.

Bill, I can't help you out with a smith recommendation,but if your willing to drive a ways you should try shooting at Thunder Valley. It's located just outside of Kimbolton Ohio. I live in Marietta and I can get there in 1 hour. It would be a straight shot up I77 for you. They have benches with target racks at 600yds and 1000yds. There are also steel plates you can shoot from the benches or prone if you like. They have expanded this year by adding a 500yd and in steel course. Then there is the original course, affectionately called the intimidator. The ranges are in the 375-1200yd range. They have a bonus target at 1 mile if you have the rifle for it.

Look in the Tactical comp threads for TVP. There are pictures and lots of info scattered around the different post. Here is a link to the schedule posted on snipershide. You can shoot during the week by appointment only.

Snipershide

He isn't in WV, but if you want to hop over to Ijamsville, Md. Ed Harren does good work. He is a member here (DocEd).

Right in your backyard. Stan Taylor lives in Sissonville, WV and does fantastic work. He does several of the rifles that compete at the WV 1000yd benchrest matches and they all shoot.

Rob

Thanks Rob! Think I will look him up this week and take a ride out to meet him! The build is an M40A1 turn - in stock build, but am not clipslotting and am going with the Redfield Scope, rings, and base. Have an awesome 6 digit donor & a Schneider USMC contract barrel ready to go! Thanks again for the info!

Anyone have access to a private range in the Chatleston vacinity? Would be cool to meet up with some of the members local for a fun/practice shoot! Have the tools to get out to 1K, but not the space...