• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a (inexpensive) scope recomendation for varmits, load development, and steel.

VegasKyle

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
I want to be able to use the scope on an AR for load development (groups at 100-200m) as well as banging steel as far out as I can get a 5.56 round to work. Its not going to be at home permanently on the AR but I want to use it for the time being from time to time and to help me decide what I want to end up with on a precision AR. The permanent use of the scope will be on a 22 and/or pellet gun for ground squirrels, I'll use the AR for this too but not often. I may pick up a Rem 700 in 308 and I'd like to have the option to use whatever scope I end up with on that until I got something else as well.

The only reference points I have are a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x and a Vortex viper 2-7x. I'd like something more than 10x at the top end 15x+ or so but I can live with 10x. I'd like a reticle I can range with, the vortex had the BDC reticle that worked but the TMR in the Leupold was vastly superior, some kind of MOA or MIL reticle would be preferred.

I'd like to spend $500 or less. I know you get what you pay for but part of the problem is I just don't know what I like and don't like yet and want the learning process to be as inexpensive as possible. Once I start spending close to $1000 I figure I may as well save a few hundred more and get a used NF or Leupold.

I looked at the Weaver 3-10x Midway offers for $299. The only cons for me are the 10x at the top and the 1" tube (I'm ok with 1" but all things being equal 30mm would be better). I've also looked at Vortex and Bushnell but the scopes that fit my criteria seem to be ~$799

I've also given some thought to a fixed power but I like the idea of a variable to use different magnifications at different ranges.

If you can think of something that fits my criteria, let me know!

Falcon Menace 4-14x.
FFP, several very good reticles, available in mil/mil or moa/moa.

I have 3 Midway BSA 4-14 FFP mil/mil scopes. I really like them for a cheap scope. A few PD's bit the dust today using one on my 17 Rem.

Too bad the Vortex Viper Midway special isn't available right now, it's a mildot 5-15 and killer for $500. Apparently they have been on sale form time to time for $400, wish I wouldn't have missed that boat. Other than that, a SS 3-9 would be my pick, or
Maybe a Leupold VXR patrol 3-9 for closer to $600. If you need more mag., the Burris Mtac 4.5-14 looks cool @ $550, supposedly nice glass. Also, look into the Leupold mark AR 3-9, 4-12, 6-18... They look very clear to my eye for a cheaper option.

The BSA 4-14 FFP mil/mil scope for a cheap scope absolutely rocks. I have one, and although it's not quite as good as my Horus HDMR, you would be surprised how much value you get for $249.

BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10

Downsides:

Not Illuminated.
Reticle is a little small at 4x
glass gets slightly cloudy above 12x

Upsides:

30mm tube
True FFP scope
Others have had good experience (Read the reviews of people who actually own/tried this scope).
Mil/Mil adjustments
Mine has good positive clicks (not mushy, some do say some have been a little soft)
Plenty of adjustment Elevation: 26.5 MILs, Windage: 23.5 MILs. Each click 1/10 mil
Will focus down to ~10 yards (some say 7.5)

Last edited:
The BSA 4-14 FFP mil/mil scope for a cheap scope absolutely rocks. I have one, and although it's not quite as good as my Horus HDMR, you would be surprised how much value you get for $249.

Downsides:

Not Illuminated.

Upsides:

30mm tube
True FFP scope
Others have had good experience (Read the reviews of people who actually own/tried this scope).
Mil/Mil adjustments
Mine has good positive clicks (not mushy, some do say some have been a little soft)
Plenty of adjustment Elevation: 26.5 MILs, Windage: 23.5 MILs. Each click 1/10 mil

I'm so glad Midway brought this scope out!!!

I just prefer FFP scopes and that's all there is to it and I'd rather use this scope than most of the SFP scopes out there worth many times the cost. Too hard trying to justify spending the big money scoping my air rifles and rimfires.

Falcon Menace 4-14x.
FFP, several very good reticles, available in mil/mil or moa/moa.

Downsides:

Not Illuminated.

Upsides:

30mm tube
True FFP scope
Mil/Mil adjustments

It looks like the Falcon and BSA are the same scope. The turrets and reticles are the only difference I can see. I like the idea of giving a FFP scope a try cheaply.

The Leupold patrol 3-9x is out, the reticle is a little too thick if I am going to use it for load development. Plus, I was hoping to try something with more than 10x magnification.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Im in a similar position to VegasKyle, with the exception being I am looking to mount one of these scopes on a SavageFCP in 308. I noticed no one responded to give an opinion of the Weaver 3-10 midway 299 special. I've read a couple reviews that put the glass on the Weaver ahead of the Falcon Menace. Also, the BSA appears to have the same options as the Falcon at a lower price point. Anyone have an opinion on which out of the three has the clearest glass?

SWFA's new 3-15x42 FFP with Mil/Mil is coming out soon... just saying. I saw it yesterday and got all pissed off because I'm trying to save money, now I HAVE to buy one.

SWFA's new 3-15x42 FFP with Mil/Mil is coming out soon... just saying. I saw it yesterday and got all pissed off because I'm trying to save money, now I HAVE to buy one.

Anyone know the price point this is gonna go for?